back to article Twitter just got sh**tier: Natter emitter hit by code critter, fritters web glitter

Twitter has been cast back into the dark ages of 2006 after a number of useful functions disappeared from its website without warning or explanation. A quick rummage around the site shows that the @username autocomplete feature no longer works in the search or new tweet box. And all the photos posted by twits have vanished …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ByeLaw101

So... the articles author is moaning about a bug and not an intended feature.. and when brought to Twitters attention they fixed it.! So the entire article is a non event.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: ByeLaw101

"when brought to Twitters attention they fixed it"

The fixed cock-up, at time of writing, was the egg problem. The missing website features was still an ongoing issue when we hit publish.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So much

Inane crap is tweeted if it went off the air forever I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

2. Steve Foster
    Facepalm

Oxymoron?

Twitter and "useful functions"

3. Fuzzysteve

All works for me...

as per the title, I'm still seeing it.

4. taxman

#We're looking into it

Not much to say really........except whooopdeedoo!

Now can the rest of it disappear up it's own rear port?

5. Turtle

NIce!

I just want to say that "natter emitter" is a very, very nice turn of phrase!

6. LinkOfHyrule

Great headline - almost as long as the story!

Civilisation will probably end if they dont fix this.

1. James Hughes 1

Actually, the headline appears to be the only decent part of hte story. Which is basically, website has problem, website problem fixed.

I'm pretty sure it happens to other website as well!

7. RobHib
    Flame

The folly of continually fiddling.

This fiddling with features and UIs etc. is getting out of hand. If it's not Microsoft with abominations such as the Ribbon and Windows 8 then it's Twitter et al.

Earlier today I used Flickr for the first time in ages and found it too had fucked up the slide show feature, it's now a real pain to use. Frankly, I'm getting pretty pissed of with it nonsense. What makes it worse is the little authoritarian and faceless bureaucrats behind the show who insist on forcing a single UI or set of features onto ALL users. If they have to change things then why not an easy choice?

Seemingly, these monopolies have an overabundance of programmers who'd be out of work if they had nothing to do, thus it's change just for the sake of it. Of course, they're aided and abetted by useless marketing types who can come up with nothing more original than the notion of a single corporate look and feel--the 'image' thingy that marketing types are obsessed with.

Well, it's time they were told that not all consumers are the same.

Before these large internet monopolies took hold, we used to have a notion which we called 'choice'.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: The folly of continually fiddling.

"Well, it's time they were told that not all consumers are the same."

They are already aware of that bug and are working tirelessly to fix it.

8. chris lively

Sounds to me like someone upgraded their jQuery version and deployed without testing....

9. Shagbag

sh*tter twitter

Is twitter now sh*tter? Or is the sh*tter a metaphor for twitter?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Twitter has managed to restore the features suddenly missing from its website."

Well thank fuck for that, for one moment I thought my life had ended. Oh wait, I don't have a Twatter account.

Joking aside, how is this even remotely 'newsworthy'?

11. Pierson
    Meh

Up .... down ... up ... down ...

As of 2210, the whole of twitter.com appears down: just getting a blue banner page with "Something is technically wrong. Thanks for noticing - we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon."

"Technically wrong" my hairy arse - something's literally wrong! And, I LOVE the chutzpah they show, thanking the user for "noticing" their error screen. Do Twitter employ Mel Brooks to write their error pages?

Oh, and while I was writing this, it appears to have come back on line again - I expect it was due to Nargles.

12. Nym

So Twitter has a use?

I mean, I use it as entertainment. Unfortunately I can't give you my e-mail address or I'd invite you to tell me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like