back to article Fiendish fake Flash plugin squirts grumble-flick ads into kiddies' websites

A fake Adobe Flash browser plugin that hijacks on-screen web adverts to tout hardcore smut is doing the rounds, we're told. The rogue add-on even slaps racy adults-only teasers on websites aimed at children, according to Jérôme Segura, a security researcher at antivirus firm Malwarebytes. The software nasty, named …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Joke

It's called flash for a reason!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And I'm guessing the filter would do absolutely nothing for this, as the operators could rotate their IPs every few hours.

3. Irongut

A Safari extension that is also compatible with Firefox and Chrome but not Internet Explorer? So that would be a Netscape Plugin then, just like Flash itself.

It would be nice if the writers at least knew something about the internet, browsers and how they work.

1. david 12 Silver badge

it would be nice if...

It is a straight report of a recent story, nothing added, nothing taken away.. Reference given and no content added. And thank you, in general I'd rather have more reporters and fewer journalists.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One more reason to install FlashBlock right after you install AdBlock+!

1. Big-nosed Pengie
      Meh

If you're not using FlashBlock and NoScript you rather deserve all you get.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I don't see where "FlashBlock" helps with this.

As far as I can see, this malware only -says- that it's Flash, and tells you that you need to install its plug-in.

And, of course, whichever browser you're using makes it easy to do that.

If they took an actual copy of Flash and inserted their virus into it... that seems peculiarly thorough. Although I suppose if you're familiar with the Flash upgrade process - which you probably are - then it makes it look realistic.

I wonder why they don't have an Internet Explorer version. Maybe IE got some security right for once.

5. breakfast Silver badge

Weird, thought

Heh, remember when one was more secure using Firefox or Chrome than IE because they were minority browsers?

1. crayon
      FAIL

Re: Weird, thought

Most IE exploits didn't require user input, you only need to "visit" a dodgy website to get infected. This particular "exploit" requires you to explicitly allow the installation of a plugin. If you're dumb enough to install from unknown sources then you deserve to be exploited.

6. Dick Emery

Coincidence?

Dave and Theresa what have you been cooking up in the last month since your announcement?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the rubbish Flash that facebook were wanting earlier in the week?

8. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Easy solution

All that needs done is to do is ban "children"... It would be far easier than banning everthing else and the internet could go on as normal.

Just how does one get in contact with David in order to share this little miracle cure.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Easy solution

Khaptain is correct. A world free from corruption of kids, what a gift that would be to the next genera...oh.

Well, at least it'd be quiet.

Steven R

9. The People

This has been engineered and commissioned by Cameron government secret 3rd party spy agencies as a propagandist tool for the evil Zionists corrupt communist UK internet filter program.

10. JCitizen
    Coffee/keyboard

Mitigation is possible...

Even if it isn't perfect - Microsoft has built in application and web site content control every since Vista. Even if the kiddies click through the application block, SpywareBlaster will block installation of Active X, as if any adult would give them access to the UAC - so you will have to limit browsers to Internet Explorer to maximize protection. The other browsers only have host controls after that, when using JavaCools protection, if I'm not mistaken.

Parental controls are always imperfect, but just as in security defenses, a blended defense is always best; and always better than nothing.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe it's just me, but...

>Browser nasty turns entire internet into no-go zone for children, the easily offended

...I'm failing to see a downside to this.

12. Great Bu

So what you're saying is....

...if I 'accidentally' catch this terrible malware on my work PC that I could be inundated with smut whilst innocently accessing perfectly innocuous web sites. For hours and hours at a time.

Where did you say I can get this ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like