back to article Guinness: Have a quick bonk over the bar and receive FREE BEER

For the next month anyone with an NFC-equipped Android or Blackberry handset is invited to enjoy a free pint of the black stuff, in exchange for a quick bonk on the bar. It's a competition, and only available in 20 pubs around the UK, as NFC World explains, so not everyone who bonks their handset against the specially-equipped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

As a Guinness fan . . .

It's going to take a lot of free pints to get me to turn on NFC in a pub.

p.s. also partial to lager (see icon)

2. Steve 13

geographically limited

Looks like a focus to the West of the penines, coincidence, or do they need encouraging to drink more of the black stuff?

3. SMFSubtlety

I know I will get lambasted by the small minded for this but...

What about windows phone 8 device?

(There are possibly more of those out there with NFC embedded than Blackberrys with NFC...)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I know I will get lambasted by the small minded for this but...

What's a WIndows Phone?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tap Tap?

"Tap here" that's poor, surely Tap da Tap.

5. Lloyd

London????

Really? You have the most densely populated are in the country to pick a bar from and you come up with a pub in Watford? Maybe they've gone for the places rated with the least NFC phones?

6. Velv
    Trollface

Fanbois don't drink Guinness

They wouldn't be seen dead with something in a pint glass.

If it hasn't taken the barman at least half an hour to prepare then they're not interested (and I'm also excluding Guinness from this as it can be left to pour while serving other customers). No, we're talking the sort of drink that requires to go through three different receptacles before finally making it to the glass.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most are in Blackpool? WTF

1. Robert E A Harvey

... lots of opportunites for rapid touching there.

8. FanMan

To the Tavern!

Maybe fanbois don't drink Guinness but FanMen such as myself (circa. Mac SE/30) certainly do.

Or did, until I discovered the utterly magnificent Thwaites Tavern Porter, real stout in a bottle complete with yeasty secondary fermentation - modern Guinness of any format is one-dimensional in comparison with this profoundly satisfying and refreshing brew.

About £1.50 a pint in Makro and cheap at twice the price!

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Pint

Re: To the Tavern!

Real men don't wear iPhones.....

but they do drink these ------>>>>>>>

9. TheProf

YES!

One of the pubs is near me. Off to The Albert for lunch I think. I certainly won't be going near a McD. Encouraging children to treat the place as a playground? Another reason not to go into their pit of hell.

1. Timmay
      Trollface

Re: YES!

That's why I ride my trusty steed through the drive through

10. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

good things come to those who wait

Like a better stout or porter, seriously there are some blinding stouts and porters out there much superior to Guinness, my personal favourite is Liverpool Organic Brewery's chocolate and vanilla stout, nom nom nom.

1. Andrew Moore
      Thumb Up

Re: good things come to those who wait

Even here in Ireland (the home of Guinness*) there are much better stouts and porters. Try O'Hara's Leann Follain, Dungarvan's Blackrock stout, Trouble Brewing's Dark Arts, 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter. And Hooker Brewery are releasing their Napoleon Stout nationwide.

*Guinness marketing hype. Everyone in the industry knows that they are a UK company.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Pint

*Guinness marketing hype. Everyone in the industry knows that they are a UK company.

I guess you don't live in Dublin then. AFAIK, the Guinness brewing that used to be done under licence in the UK was moved back to Dublin some years ago. Still tastes like it was dredged straight out of the Liffey mind, but it's better than a lot of what passes for beer in Eire. Admittedly, what is known as 'craft beer' on that side of the Irish Sea is starting to gain some ground, albeit slowly.

1. Andrew Moore

@Loyal Commenter- yep, I live in Dublin- you might want to read my previous post regarding craft beer in Ireland.

But Guinness hasn't been an Irish company for many years (some would say that it was never an Irish company in the first place). And now they are owned by Diageo, they've no claim to Irishness.

11. Scob

None in London. Unbelievable!!

12. MrDamage Silver badge

Bugger Guinness

I'l take some Old Engine Oil from the Harviestoun Brewery any day.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Bugger Guinness

or even better- Oul Dubh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like