back to article Come watch us brandish our LONG TENT POLE, EMC tells world+dog

EMC is going on a Twitter tease trek with a series of tweets about Backup Independence Day on 10 July. Stephen Manley, the chief technology officer of EMC's Backup and Recovery Systems division has spaffed tweets left, right and centre: Backup Independence Day is coming - freedom from vendor lock-in, dedicated infrastructure …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter twaddle

EMS, freedom from vendor lock in, ha, pull the other one.

1. InsaneGeek
      Childcatcher

Re: Twitter twaddle

EMC has been playing that game since... well a long time (when did their WideSky initiative kick off?). The problem always has been (and will continue to be) other vendors don't want to play. It's the same problem SNIA's SMI-S standard has languished forever, vendors don't like others in their sandbox, either only supporting the bare minimum in SMI-S (none of the actual things that make vendor <X> storage cool), if they support it at all.

I'd say that EMC has gone from completely closed down (had to pay EMC to make all your changes) to pretty open (their new mgmt tools everything is done via SMI-S)... but I doubt they'll get other vendors as much on the on the SMI-S bandwagon and will have to play the reverse engineering game or not support vendor <X>, cause at the end of the day vendors make shedloads of money off of their lack of management interoperability.

2. GeorgeTuk

I'm interested....

...but freedom from vendor lockin sounds like BS.

I want a way to shift data off-site where it will be safe.

3. M. B.

Why would I use Isilon...

...as an NDMP target when Data Domain can do the same thing, only better for backup purposes? And why wouldn't I want dedicated backup infrastructure? I sure as hell ain't storing my backups on production storage, that always ends in heartbreak.

EMC has some convincing to do here. We'll see come Wednesday.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be free in the cloud!

Be free and buy our ever pricy proprietary solution. Maybe we should send the writer of that piece of joyous bilge to Egypt. He'd get some On the Job Training there!

This topic is closed for new posts.