2.4GHz WiFi cluttering

This topic was created by Neil Barnes .

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

2.4GHz WiFi cluttering

Am I alone in bewailing the current preponderance of WiFi with everything?

I don't have a problem with using it - though there are certainly cases where wires would make more sense - but I do have an issue with the simple quantity of the damn things.

My home computers - typical UK semi-detached house - can see no fewer than fifteen access points, and up to twenty-five on a good day - all on 2.4GHz. Only one of them is mine... This isn't usually a problem in the wee small hours, but of an evening there's so much contention it's unusable to an access point ten feet away. 5GHz is the only workable option for those devices which can handle it (yes, I'm looking at you, Nexus 7).

Can we perhaps start a campaign to persuade people that 5GHz is cool? Or even turning down the power of 2.4GHz transmissions? A service which doesn't transmit significantly through the walls of a house is a significant benefit to your neighbours.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: 2.4GHz WiFi cluttering

A service which doesn't transmit significantly through the walls of a house is a significant benefit to your neighbours.

Unfortunately, a service which doesn't transmit significantly through the interior walls and floors of your own house is pretty much bloody useless to you.

My router does 2.4 and 5 simultaneously. 5 works well enough in the same room, but gets flattened for speed everywhere else in the house by 2.4, despite very heavy congestion in that band. What would be nice is if the ruddy clients had the sense to prefer 5 when the signal strength was ok, but unfortunately everything I've tried seems to lock on to 2.4 by preference if the SSIDs are the same, even when right next to the damned thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon