back to article Online music world on iRadio: Apple, imagine our concern

Leading figures in the online music industry have cast doubt on Apple's claims that its new streaming iRadio service will revolutionise the way fanbois listen to songs. The fruity firm announced iRadio at the WWDC yesterday, telling the gathered hordes that it would allow them to listen to personalised radio stations and then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thank you.

Next...

2. Colin Millar
    Coat

"shouting at their iThings "

Read that as iThongs initially.

Just thought I would share that with you all

1. Matthew 25
      IT Angle

Re: "shouting at their iThings "

Did you mean iFlipFlops or iPants

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Isn't iRadio going to be what Jango already is? I don't understand.

4. SuperTim

"You can easily buy it with one click!"

Thanks, Apple, for making it easier to give you my money. I am glad you have my interests at heart!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: "You can easily buy it with one click!"

If you want to buy something, a 1-click experience IS helpful to you as well as great for the seller. Or do you prefer going through a 3 page credit-card form every time you want to buy something?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: a 3 page credit-card form every time you want to buy something?

In fact I too hate the 3-page cc form every time I want to buy something. But still prefer it to letting whatever random webusiness it happens to be, hanging on to my card details to play with and/or leak at their earliest convenience.

1. JDX Gold badge

I hope you leave your credit cards at home when you go out too, just in case someone mugs you.

1. DavCrav

"I hope you leave your credit cards at home when you go out too, just in case someone mugs you."

It might be kind of obvious then though, and you can cancel them. In the other scenario, you have to rely on a company being honest.

2. Chet Mannly

"Or do you prefer going through a 3 page credit-card form every time you want to buy something?"

I think Tim was referring to the fact that this is an ad-infected glorified sales channel for itunes, rather than a revolution in internet radio per se.

1. Tom 35

And it's US only. I can get hundreds of real radio stations from all over the world now.

Once Apple decides to open in Canada I'm sure they will only play stuff that is available to buy in the Canadian iTunes store.

So not so much about finding new music... all about selling more with some ads on the side.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Dateline: Cupertino, CA

In a shocking disclosure today at Apple's WWDC, Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled a new form radio from mobile devices known as "streaming".

Always one to be on the leading edge of technology and innovation, Apple has blown away the competition with this new form of entertainment.

In other Apple news, Apple also introduced a 2D operating system for their iPhones in a 3D world. Wow Apple...you really hit the ball out of the ballpark with this one!

Please watch this space for further developments from Apple.

1. Bod

Re: Dateline: Cupertino, CA

and a multitasking operating system too. Don't forget that. I mean, wow!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dateline: Cupertino, CA

Hey Apple, welcome to the twentieth century!

6. Shasta McNasty
    Pirate

Lawsuit ahoy!

As a radio station already exists called iRadio, I can see a lawsuit coming.

www.iradio.ie

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Lawsuit ahoy!

I predict they will experience a sudden change of name after a few thousands euros have been bunged their way by an anonymous Californian donor .

1. Bod

More like iRadio.ie will get their ass sued.

Just did a quick search and I can't see iRadio trademarked in Ireland, though that was a very quick search. In which case Apple just trademark it and because the two are now in the radio business they can sue for infringement. iRadio.ie need to trademark the name pronto (as Apple haven't yet in Ireland it appears).

2. ItsNotMe

Ahhh...not likely.

Remember where Apple has "parked" BILLIONS of US dollars, to avoid paying US Income Taxes?

1. Shasta McNasty

I didn't say iRadio would sue Apple (its usually the other way around).

The real radio station registered the .ie name in 2006 so they can easily demonstrate prior usage of it long before the fruity firm came up with this earth shattering idea.

3. chr0m4t1c

Apple haven't launched a service called "iRadio", they've launched a service called "iTunes Radio".

I'm not sure that any lawsuits can be justified for trademark infringement in this case, whichever side of the Apple iLove/iHate iCoin you're on.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alert

relies on DJs to choose the music rather than algorithms

Not for most of the daytime BBC DJs... the music's chosen automatically from the current playlist (and I wish I could remember the name of the application that does it - it's really quite clever) and then the DJ gets a chance to mess with the choices, if he can be bothered.

Unless they've changed it all since I left, of course...

1. Big O

Re: relies on DJs to choose the music rather than algorithms

Getting off topic here, but does this software give a countdown to the vocal entering? I've found that a lot of DJ's get it just right with a suspicious degree of accuracy!

1. JDX Gold badge

It's still humans picking the playlist, and there is scope for the DJ to change things or talk in between and muck up the timings.

From what I remember of listening to Moyles talk about things like this, you do get some sort of timer/count-in.

2. Maharg

Yeah there are a number of different types of software but they basically have to option to drop and drag tracks around from the playlist, then each track has a countdown to when the vocal will start and will also flash red when there is 10 seconds to go so they know to make sure the next track, jingle etc is lined up or to open the mic,

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" I've found that a lot of DJ's get [blithering over the music until the vocals start] just right with a suspicious degree of accuracy!"

It's just playing the same very limited set of songs OVER AND OVER AND OVER .....

Our local stations like to brag "We have the largest collection of rock music!" "Our collection is so large, if it falls on us, we're toast!" "Nobody has a larger peniscollection of music than we do!"

THEN PLAY SOME OF IT YOU BASTARDS! Deep Purple recorded more than just Hush, My Woman From Tokyo, and Smoke On the Water!

Personally, I want a connection from the control that activates the DJ's mike, and the music source, to the DJ's reproductive organs, set up to ramp the voltage up from 0V as soon as the DJ activates their mike at the same time as the music source is active, at about 50V/second.

DJs: If you have something important to say, STOP THE MUSIC, say it, and then START THE MUSIC. And "important" is not what you think about the song, or the artist, or what you had for breakfast - in fact, if it doesn't involve an EF5 tornado, or elements on the last row of the periodic chart, STFU!

Really, a music service without DJs sounds like a GOOD idea to me!

1. JDX Gold badge

If you don't want to hear people talking, don't listen to the radio, listen to a CD, you moron. The whole point of radio is it's not just playing CDs back to back.

4. Chet Mannly

"but does this software give a countdown to the vocal entering?"

Yup, all radio station software does this - it has a countdown clock to the start of vocals when the track starts.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          WTF?

Yes, and in the old days, the 45's (remember them) had the time of the track, and intro timings and even outro timings sometimes. But I'm sure the Gen X'ers that r(u)in today's radio stations wouldn't be able to handle something that isn't flashing in their faces.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

technology is getting funny

My nokia 1280 has an FM radio on it.

Tech seems to be intent on going round in circles to make something we already have out of something new, often not quite hitting the same standard.

I recently saw a new web based messaging app (like WeChat or WhatsApp), but you attached a voice recording to the message and sent each other an abbreviated voice message ... much like a voicemail, maybe in a future version you will be able to actually talk with the person.. what a novelty.

Apple's i strategy will give them a constant stream of ideas for years as adding i to anything seems to be open game.... but more and more people will simply say iDont Care.. (ill get my coat).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FM radio?

Dunno where you live, but here in the northeastern US you'd be hard pressed to find a popular music station that isn't shite. The vast expanses between here and California are even worse. So Internet radio (and good 3G/4G coverage along the highways) indeed addresses an unfilled market.

9. jaywin

Sounds like a poor copy of Nokia's Mix Radio service...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Spotify for iPhone

I still have and use Spotify Premium across the PC, Android and iPhone.

The iRadio isn't going to change things tbh... unless Apple non-competitvely (exclusive deal!) get the record companies to stop supplying to Spotify

1. Steve Todd

Re: Spotify for iPhone

Spotify Premium cost £10/month (without which you can't use it on a mobile device). iTunes Match costs £22/year, or pay nothing and put up with adverts. There are going to be a lot of people dumping Spotify over this one.

11. Slef

Oh B*gger

What's the betting that a fruity firm will now be granted a patent for streaming radio by the US patent office? to go along with multi-tasking as if it has an "i" in the front of a word it must have been developed at cupertino...I am impressed by said fruity firms innovative ideas!

12. Richard Gadsden

Can you listen to the cricket on it?

TuneIn is great - you can listen to Test Match Special on it.

What's the point of iRadio if you can't listen to cricket on it?

1. ItsNotMe
      Devil

Re: Can you listen to the cricket on it?

And the point of Cricket is???????????????????????????

1. jungle_jim
        Coat

Who knows!?

Im stumped.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'd have to hand you over to my colleague

He's in at the moment but he can have a word with you when he's out.

3. Maharg
        Trollface

And the point of Cricket is???????????????????????????

It gives English men the chance to sit outside in nice weather and drink for a number of hours while watching a ‘sport’ and contemplate when we used to rule whatever country is beating us.

You know, like American football only with history and without the aggression and stupidity…

1. Euripides Pants
          Trollface

Re: like American football only with history and without the aggression and stupidity…

And England gave the world Rugby...

Pot, meet kettle.

2. Martin 47

... but cricket on the radio needs to have the crackle and hiss of long wave reception, oh and the gentle fading in and out as well, if it doesn't have that.........

.........its just not cricket

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And this is going to be better than TuneIn (which works on my phone, my laptop, my tablet) because......?

13. Maharg
    Facepalm

Eadon...

Give it a couple of years and Eadon will be saying ‘remember when Apple invented the radio and everyone went back in time to copy it?’

1. Quxy
      Thumb Down

Re: Eadon...

No, no, use the correct El Reg terminology! Eadon isn't a Fanboi, he's a Freetard ;-)

1. Euripides Pants

We freetards disavow any association with Eadon.

1. Euripides Pants

Looks like I was downvoted by Eadon.

14. Haku
    FAIL

The Gadget Show

Last night's show there was a piece about streaming music, they effectively said CDs were dead and even downloads were going to die soon too because streaming music from the internet will replace all other sources of music.

I always take what they say with a pinch of salt or two, but sometimes even I'm surprised at the unmitigated shite spewed from the mouths of those presenters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Gadget Show

F**k those so called presenters on that programme. Once it was pretty good but recently it has become very poor indeed.

I don't download music at all. I prefer CD's simply because I go off grid for long periods. These bozos who think that everywhere is 'connected' are being just silly. Sure there are satellite services but who wants to carry a sat receiver with them when trekking through the Amazon rain forest. An iPod(or similar device with a very long batter life) loaded with your own music ripped from said CD's is all you need. Lose the device and you have not lost your music. I know that with some services you can D/L it all again but really, that is a bit of a faff.

Besides, the sort of music I listen to is hardly covered by the majority of streaming services.

If someone can find a streaming version of Dave Brubeck in NYC in late 1958 then I would be a very happy bunny. This was never released on CD and the LP I have is in pretty bad condition.

I do download a number of podcasts (including TMS!)

But anyone who thinks that streaming is going to be the total solution is just plain bonkers and should present themselves to Broadmoor at the earliest opportunity.

15. Mark 153

Don't want a "radio station"

What I want is, when I select an artist in my library, not to just show the albums I've already got, it also show everything else they've done. Preferably with an automatic playlist of their most popular songs.

I've got spotify, which (in a manual way) allows me to do that. I find myself going, "what was that other song <insert band here> did?" and it's normally near the top of the list.

Just build it in and give me an infinity music library. If I want to listen to the radio, I'll listen to 6 Music on tunein.

1. CCCP
      Thumb Up

Re: Don't want a "radio station"

With you there Mark.

I think Apple, and some others, have missed the point. Radio is theatre of the mind, including the talking. So uninterrupted tunes, however tailored, just doesn't cut it for everyone.

Pukka radio definitely has a place. TuneIn is a saviour when abroad, or anywhere in fact, and need some "home" music or news. With DJs.

On the other hand, Spotify is now my rented music library. You move, your play lists stays with you. The full fat £10 version also ignores which country you move to, even permanently. A device locked service like i-whatever seems, well, old skool. Oh, to boot Spotify allows three devices to sync offline, which means most households are catered for.

Is there a real alternative to Spotify? Simple as chips? Perhaps there should be. iRadio ain't it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like