back to article Cisco and iRobot build videoconferencing robot for remote workers

For the last two decades videoconferencing manufacturers have been touting their systems as the ultimate tool for remote workers. Now Cisco has added one of its "telepresence" systems to a remote-control robot that can wander around the office meeting people and performing inspections. AVA 500 videoconferencing unit Now your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. OzBob
    Trollface

Stick a plunger on the front and say "exterminate!"

(repeat as required)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pete the not so great
      Pint

Re: Stick a plunger on the front and say "exterminate!"

remote plumber! nice you should send that in!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'kick me' signs for the 21st century

The possibilities for this are endless. With only a front facing camera you could dress your boss's robot in a frilly nightie and he'd never know.

3. Pete the not so great
    WTF?

and it can vacuum the carpet at the same time

even the cleaners can remote in, what's not to like?

4. MajorTom

Everyone should remote in

Have your avatar sit at your desk, go to meetings, visit the toilet...

5. Platelet

Seen this somewhere before

http://www.dilbert.com/2013-04-04/

6. Don Jefe
    WTF?

1st Picture?

Is the guy in the first picture watching himself on the iDalek thing?

1. LB45
      Facepalm

Re: 1st Picture?

No. He's busy smearing the fancy, trendy, oh so cool glass walled offices with his greasy hand prints.

Something the "open space concept" pushers didn't think about. Our glass walls look horrible after about 6 months. And the so called cleaning people just smear it all around with a cloth until it's an impenetrable haze.

I predict lots of these will be 'demo'ed'. None will really be sold.

7. Herby

Chess Piece?

Is it just me, or does this look like a glorified pawn from your handy chess set.

Of course, they could have various attachments for it with different pieces for different amounts of "importantcy" in the company in question.

And yes, it is a defect that it won't transmit the impacts that are inflicted upon itself back to the "user".

So, we have a NEW definition of the work LAZY!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Reminds me an episode of The Big Bang Theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bIoeBpSeU4

9. graeme leggett Silver badge

looks familiar

Didn't something similar bung Luke into a Bacta tank?

1. Tony Proudlove
      Trollface

Re: looks familiar

FX7. One of the few Star Wars figures I had as a child. Imagine my Christmas morning excitement at being able to add to my collection - which could be counted on one hand - only to be given FX7. Worst... Star Wars figure... ever.

Troll face because that's what whoever gave it to me must have been thinking.

10. frank ly

"AVA enables freedom of movement ...."

Can it climb stairs? Perhaps with a suitable attachment it could press lift buttons?

11. amarkr2000
    Mushroom

Big bang theory

Looks like they just copied this from the sitcom when sheldon decided he was going to work virtually!

Hope the producers get royalties

12. Stephen Gray
    FAIL

Utterly pointless

Without doubt not a single unit will be sold.

13. JaitcH
    WTF?

All CISCO products are Certified ...

PRISM compatible.

Huawei‎ and ZTE are Chinese designed and NOT PRISM compatible. All three product lines are manufactured in China.

14. Sulphur Man

Ludicrous

Doesn't a push towards tele-conferencing and home-working lead to reduced office space requirements. Which leaves this wandering down an empty corridor.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Ludicrous

Only management and sales will work outside the office. The drones will receive their orders and oversight from the vacuum cleaner.

That's actually a good point, does this thing vacuum as it travels the office? I'd like to have one but only if it cleans as it goes.

15. samlebon23

Double Robotics has a similar product:

http://www.doublerobotics.com/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like