back to article EVE Online OFFLINE: Wannabe Capt Kirks clobbered in cluster-ruck

Multiplayer spaceship game EVE Online has taken its systems offline after it was warped out of shape by a debilitating denial-of-service attack. In a statement on Facebook, its developers at CCP Games explained that it disconnected its server cluster from the internet as a precaution while it reviewed the integrity and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Single sign-on

Amusingly CCP implemented a single sign-on system last week which made them much more vulnerable to this crap. Strange company in a lot of ways, seem to insist on re-inventing the wheel a bit too much for me.

Server and website are back online anyway.

1. Thomas 4

Re: Single sign-on

Yeah, the new launcher has not been a popular decision on the forums.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And quelle surprise, there was a "vulnerability" exploited in one of the back-end "services" which "support Tranquility".

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which "service" that might have been mmmm?

Obviously we've all changed passwords already, haven't we? ;)

1. Thomas 4

Did anyone else get the launcher appearing in Russian at one point yesterday?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes. Pretty much everyone who had it set to English got a Russian login prompt. Like I said, don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out which back-end "service" got owned.

2. dogged

Gold farmers?

They might farm it, but selling it (or buying it) earns pretty much instant permanent booting from the game.

EVE takes its economy seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gold farmers?

'EVE takes its economy seriously.'

Very seriously. They employ a full time economist to fine tune their models.

The Central Bank of Iceland could have probably done with someone doing the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gold farmers?

If Iceland had CCP's "economist" they'd now be in a situation where their economy would be worse than Greece :P

Eyjog is a fucking idiot :)

3. MrFox
    Happy

Nerds?

Flying internet spaceships is serious business OK.....and serious fun, gluck CCP.....

4. Gordon861

Perhaps some corp had a timer that was going to go bang at a bad time that need to be stopped.

1. MattLoren

This is the widely accepted theory amongst the conspiracy guys, yes.

A simplistic explanation:

For those of you that haven't played the game players fight over bits of space and can create player owned stations. When attacked, they go into a "defensive mode" which renders them immune to attack for a time dependent on the amount of special fuel they have (Strontium in this case).

A rival corporation will come back at the right time with lots of ships (players) and blow the heck out of it, if it hasn't been repaired and put back online really quickly. The new corporation will then claim that space.

There have been incidents where people have had their comms lines cut, servers have been downed etc. to prevent hostile actions, fleets being formed and even to take key players out of battles.

5. jason 7

Oh boy.

When I think back to my time playing Eve (2006 - 2010) it makes my head spin.

I just dare not go back. Will be like someone from the 19th century trying to get up to speed with today.

I still think of all my ships gathering dust in the station.........

1. MattLoren

Re: Oh boy.

We would be happy to have you in the PC Gamer Magazine Corp; PCG Enterprises.

Come back..you know you want to...beckons whilst backing off into a unclaimed Wormhole (not a euphemism).

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Same here. At the end of my time I had about 30 billion in ships and nearly as much cash. I never got into the PvP side of things as it felt too real and I bottled it. I spent my time running agents, building stuff to sell and chatting. Happy days but costly and addictive. When they introduced wormholes most of my friends had left so I took that as time to get out as well.

But if anyone remembers Andrue and Beekle... :)

3. Troncmaster
      Trollface

Can I have your stuff?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahhh EVE

Where those without a life, go to get a life and end up being terribly disappointed.

1. MattLoren
      Thumb Up

Re: Ahhh EVE

That's just a good description of "The Internet"

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Ahhh EVE

I believe it was an Eve player that first gave us the sage advice:

"There is no RL, there is just extended AFK."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only MMO where if you get whiny kids on your own side annoying everybody you can just tell them to shut up or you'll shoot them yourselves.

Don't get that on TOR.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yeah. If you don't suffer fools gladly and enjoy slapping down pillocks then Eve is the place to be. Whining to the mods just 'cos you got ganked after carrying cargo without investing in appropriate protection doesn't get you much help. There are some things the mods will protect you from but not many and stupidity isn't one of them :D

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wannabe Kirks?

Aren't all the wannabe Kirk/Picard/ThatVoice types safely kept away from the rest of society by the Cryptic/PerfectWorld STO servers?

9. JDX Gold badge

"We will be looking at ways to compensate players"

I think forcing them to get off their computers is compensation enough.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Sounds like some battlecruiser turned up the EMP too high!

Mr. Sulu, set phasers to server crash!!

11. Jerky Jerk face
    Thumb Up

CCP got DDOS because SSB: Spaceships are Serious Business.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like