back to article Galaxy Tab 3 10.1: Samsung plays Intel against ARM

Samsung are about to announce a Galaxy tablet running Android but with Intel inside. And while it is a victory for the US chip goliath, it's also one which could prove pyrrhic given the large amount of cash Intel will have to cough. Samsung has booked a London launch for 20 June, with new Windows tablets expected but not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Himalayaman
    Flame

New OS

Nice... means I can install a real OS on it.

1. Phil W

Re: New OS

I assume you're referring to installing Windows? Not sure what you find to be a problem about Android in tablet form factor compared to Windows really.

I wouldn't hold your breath anyway. You're assuming this has a conventional kind of BIOS or UEFI that would allow you to install an OS like that, which I doubt.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why not just buy a Surface Pro if what you want is a Windows tablet with an x86 CPU?

Or one of the many other x86 tablets.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, I agree with this.

I *need* a new tablet. But I want proper multi-user (apps available to all users and only installed once). If I can avoid the windows tax and still install windows (or a decent touch ready Linux) then I'll be laughing.

1. Phil W

Android does support multi user login, although not generally enabled on most devices.

1. M Gale

Re: Android and multi-user

Android supports multi-user by partitioning the whole machine up. That 32GB tablet becomes 2x16GB tablets, basically, or 4x8GB. You have to install apps multiple times for each account and the DRM ensures that you can't run a paid app on the wrong account, even if it's on the same device. Not really a good solution.

1. afv011

Re: Android and multi-user

Apps are only installed once. If a second user installs the same app again, it simply creates a separate folder for that new user's data, but that app itself (APK binary), is installed only once.

2. dillonlawrence97

What about the apps?

The Android apps that aren't compatible with Intel processors? I can see Samsung using both ARM and Intel.

1. Phil W

Re: What about the apps?

This isn't a huge issue, most apps use the Dalvik VM to run so hardware platform isn't that relevent. With the exception of the relatively small number of JNI based apps.

Plus I'm assuming this will have the on-the-fly binary translation to cover those apps, rather like on the Orange San Diego android phone.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/04/orange_san_diego_intel_based_android_smartphone_review/page3.html

1. Hetz Ben Hamo

Not a big issue? fire up a VM, download an Android 4.x and run it. running? good.

Now try to install: Facebook, Google+, Netflix, and tons of other apps. guess what? they don't work.

2. Tim Jenkins

I'm assuming this will have the on-the-fly binary translation

'cept where this doesn't work. I'm typing this on my San Diego, but I'm having to use Dolphin instead of Chrome because G00gle borked Chrome on Intel Android with their last release and it hasn't worked since, and the iPlayer app has never worked at all...

Nice phone though, and a corker for £100 PAYG.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

You can bet that if the story is true Samsung are getting a very good deal from Intel (possibly chips at cost price) as since Samsung has its own fab for baking ARM SOC's it would have to be cheaper to go to Intel than making them themselves

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's the problem, it's more likely to be Intel doing some deal that is actually anti-competitive. Taking a hit on each chip to get a "flagship" product out there using their processor.

1. Steve 13
        Facepalm

Selling below cost isn't in any definition anti-competitive unless Intel was the dominant chip maker/supplier in the this particular industry sector, which it clearly isn't.

2. dillonlawrence97
        Alert

Galaxy Tab = no longer flagship

The Galaxy Tab range is no longer are flagship. The Note range took that honour.

2. big_D Silver badge

Or...

R&D and production costs for ARM and Intel based tablets is too high, so building one generic base, upon which you install the relevant OS, like they and HTC did with smartphones for years (the early htc and Samsung phones were effectively the same hardware, with slightly different cases and either WIndows Mobile, Android or Windows Phone installed.

4. DrXym

Android needs to be platform agnostic

Android needs to fix the NDK so devs can output LLVM bitcode binaries as well as those targeted to ARM, Intel or MIPS architectures. That way a single app can target all platforms instead of just some of them.

I really don't understand why they haven't done this. LLVM has crept into Android 3.0+ via RenderScript so some of the prerequisite framework for this is already there and it would be hugely beneficial for game development.

5. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

So a no-sale from me

I don't want more of the shoddpy x86 architercure... I want LESS of it.

6. big_D Silver badge
    Pint

ATIV

The ATIV SmartPC is available in the 700 form, with Core i5 processor or in the 500 form, which is much thinner, using the current generation Clovertrail Atom.

It is a very nice machine, nippy enough for most things (even working as a desktop replacement), yet offering silent running (no fans) and over 9 hours battery life. I'm very happy with mine.

7. dougal83

"..maintaining multiple relationships.."

Isn't that just good business? So confusled! :S

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Probably not just one Samsung product.

Samsung offer Intel a major in for putting Atom into such products as smart TVs, set-top boxes, etc., and I bet Intel is taking the view that those sixty engineers are driving the tablet as the thin edge of the wedge into as many Samsung product ranges as Intel can manage.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

f*ck Samsung and f*ck Intel, I'm a Brit and will support ARM.

10. chipxtreme
    Thumb Down

Sorry Samsung but my next tablet will have an ARM chip inside.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(Obvious)

Why not just get an iPad?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like