back to article Torvalds unveils first Linux 3.10 release candidate

The first release candidate for version 3.10 of the Linux Kernel is upon us. Linus Torvalds released RC1 of the new kernel on the eve of Mother's Day (in North America and Australia), together with some advice on how to treat Mum/Mom right on the occasion. “So this is the biggest -rc1 in the last several years (perhaps ever) …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ChrisM
    Trollface

and now over to Eadon...

For some ill-informed commentary about how this release is somehow an MS FAIL and that somehow Linus shagged your mum...

1. James Hughes 1

Re: and now over to Eadon...

Looks like Eadon downvoted you thirteen times...

2. Oninoshiko
      Thumb Up

looks like you got a lot of "-1 presentient" votes there!

Although it did take a while for Eadon's post on how this is an MS FAIL to show up!

1. ChrisM

Actually about 26 minutes elapsed between by (as it happens) extremely prescient post and Eadons. One mention of the actual 3.10 RC1 release followed by a three paragrah MS Rant...

As a troll it was reasonably successful though :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mothers day

was obviously in March (for the country that El Reg is registered in) so the mothers day context to this story is weak

1. The BigYin

Re: mothers day

Modern mother's day started in the USA, it has no real connection to Mothering Sunday. Mothering Sunday was to do with visiting one's "mother" church. Although Mothering Sunday has, overtime, acquired the trappings of the USA's Mother's Day (but keeps it's original date).

Just like Father's Day, Mother's Day (and Grandparent's Day and Secretary's Day and...) is just an attempt to get people to buy more cards and tat. Seriously, if it takes Hallmark to advertise a day in the calendar for you to remember to say to your mother/father you love them (or your secretary that are doing a good job or whatever); then you are a cock of the highest order.

Semi-rant ends.

1. Oninoshiko

Actually the origin of mothers day is in the US civil war. After the war had ended, there were many families which where torn apart from being on different sides. Ann Jarvis worked to establish a holiday to promote the reunification of these torn families (c 1868). Her attempts did not catch on, until her daughter Anna took up the cause to honor her mother after her death in 1907. Even then it would not receive national acceptance until 1914.

The holiday wouldn't be commercialized extensively for another nine years, and Anna would go to her death-bed regretting the commercial mockery the holiday she had promoted became.

2. Captain TickTock
      FAIL

"was obviously in March (for the country that El Reg is registered in) so the mothers day context to this story is weak"

Not if you actually read Torvalds' release statement...

1. zb

In England there is no "Mothers Day". We do have Mothering Sunday which is a christian festival falling on the 4th Sunday in Lent.

3. The BigYin
    Trollface

Inquiring minds want to know

Will the new audio drivers mean PulseAudio finally works?

1. Skoorb

Re: Inquiring minds want to know

Hmm. Well.

Seriously though, how long before this Kernel appears in mainstream distributions like Ubuntu, and how long before it gets to the stable 'enterprise' distributions like Red Hat and Debian?

1. yossarianuk

It will be in Ubuntu (or if you have sense Kubuntu) by 13.10 - however anyone can run it right now.

Of course you can compile it yourself (I also do compile my own to get the old oss sound modules...) or if your not skilled in this are you can use the mainline ppa

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

- i.e you can get it now.

I imagine Arch will have the kernel days after the final release also.

2. grammarpolice

Will the new audio drivers mean PulseAudio finally works?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

4. Justin Stringfellow
    Headmaster

extremely nit picky but

"Torvalds unveils...."

in what way was it 'veiled', then? It's open source, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: extremely nit picky but

It's "veiled" to the public at large (unless you want to go looking for the source code) until the point of being released/unveiled, surely?

5. Anonymous Coward 15

Mother's Day (in North America and Australia)

Why isn't Australia's the same as ours?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Mother's Day (in North America and Australia)

It's an American tradition, absorbed by other countries.

So the correct form of the question is "why isn't ours the same as America's?"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mother's Day (in North America and Australia)

As I understand it, Mother's Day in the UK is a hybrid derived partly from the US Mother's Day and partly from the older UK Mothering Sunday.

6. tentimes
    WTF?

Audio changes?

Does anyone know what the Audio changes are please?

7. vmistery

Took me a minute to read this correctly... this is 3.10.* not 3.1.* I must be on a slow day... I was thinking it was strange that even Debian 7 is on 3.2.* now!

Be a few years before we get that I imagine

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like