back to article AMD pins future growth to embedded marketplace

AMD has announced a new range chips for embedded devices, and said it hopes that 20 per cent of its revenues in Q4 2013 will come from that market, rather than the 5 per cent currently. Embedded chips are one prong of AMD's new pitchfork of profitability along with servers and ultra-low power tablet chips. The chip giant is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ThomH

There are two ways that 5% of something can turn into 20%

While I hope they achieve their target the good way, I think the sceptics are probably right on x86 in tablets and phones — there's too much NDK stuff out there for many Android-using manufacturers to make the switch and a lot of them, along with Apple, are now used to being able to license embeddable components and design their own silicon. It's not that the architecture is always going to be behind in speed or power, just that the ship has already sailed.

2. wowfood

What happened to their ARM alliance?

I could swear I remember AMD were meant to be working with ARM on something. I was actually hoping to see something along the lines of a Tegra, except by a company who knows how to make a CPU. Tegra style chip with ATi Graphics? Yes please.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: What happened to their ARM alliance?

You are correct. It's common knowledge that AMD are working on a 64-bit ARM chip and I reckon that using their APU expertise to produce a SoC based on that is a given.

While the use in mobile devices is obvious, I reckon the heavy grease for that is in low-powered servers. Maybe with the capability of GPU compute use of the integrated graphics cores?

As I've observed before the big plus for them in this area is that, if 64-bit ARM proves to be a winner in that market, it's something that Intel can't respond to very quickly. It'd be something of a novelty for them to have a winning product line that doesn't get steamrollered by Chipzilla in short order.

3. BornToWin

AMD is generating new revenue sources

These SoCs have a broad market application and AMD already has contracts so it's all good IMO. AMD has a lot of good new products coming to market all at once with Kaveri, Richland, these SoCs, some new discrete GPUs and Steamroller for desktop is not too far off. Everyone of these products should prove to be a good value and performance proposition, which is what OEMs and mainstream consumers look for.

4. vmistery

Is this AMD slowly coming back to life with these, APUs and the Console maker deals?

5. John H Woods Silver badge

How much impact will the PS4 have?

... I expected the article to have a guess, but maybe the commentards will be braver?

6. Aoyagi Aichou
    Meh

Needs mixed feelings icon

It is nice to AMD getting more and more profit but on the other hand, I...don't really like their current business plan. Kaveri is also allegedly (www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/3/5/amd-kaveri-unveiled-pc-architecture-gets-gddr5.aspx - sorry, still under 100 posts) going to be welded to the board along with its GDDR5 memory and GPU. I'm not sure I understand the whole thing correctly, but I think this is a much more closed architecture than the Phenom computer I have at home meaning it's "upgradability" would be limited to the level of laptops'. If I misunderstood it due to my pessimism about modern development of modern technology, please tell me before I lose all of my loose hope (if that makes sense, heh).

1. ARP2

Re: Needs mixed feelings icon

Yes, I think that's part and parcel of moving to embedded or other "fixed" systems. My guess is that they'll still have a PC division, with interchangeable components, but I don't think it will have the variety and depth of offerings it has in the past.

7. The Swan

MinITX Temash Please

Given how bad support for ARM SoC video decoders still is on Linux, with the recent open source UVD support now I would love to see Temash running a very low power fanless miniitx system for my TV recording and viewing pleasure. Pretty please someone?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like