back to article Furious Stephen Fry blasts 'evil' Reg and 'TW*T' Orlowski

Official British National Treasure Stephen Fry has responded to El Reg teasing last week with an emotional defence of his TV voice-over work, in two impassioned audio burps this weekend. "It doesn't upset me," Fry insists. "I am a voice-over artist, I have read every one of the Harry Potter novels - and I'm proud to have done …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. david 63

Upsetting luvvies...

... #winning

1. Mips
      Childcatcher

Re: Upsetting luvvies...

Seems like the words dick and head should appear in the same sentence.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A sentence linking Stephen with dick or provision of head would definitely be cruel, vicious and unkind as well as, more importantly, not having any IT content.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well I for one

am happy to wish Stephen Fry as much dick and head as he could possibly want. Not offering mind you, but whatever floats your boat. . .

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Come on Andrew, lets have a handbags at 10 paces.

Fight,fight,fight.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Dear Celebrity Deathmatch.....

New episode for your consideration......

3. LarsG
      Meh

Watch out guys

This man may be part of the group that wants to censor newspapers and publications.

Is he part of the lobby group 'hacked off' funded by some unsavoury luvvies?

It would be the end of El Reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Watch out guys

Stephen Fry is inter alia a prominent advocate of free speech.

4. Nick Ryan Silver badge

I like Stephen Fry, but that doesn't mean that I accept what he says on technical matters as correct. Sometimes it's said in a tongue in cheek way and is plainly for comedy value, others it seems that he's just bullshitting out of habit which is more worrying as people do believe him - but then this does separate the idiots from those that might question what is said.

However he does have a lot of very valid points and is entertaining as well, which ranks him above a lot of other entertainers and miles ahead of the vacuous reality show "stars".

1. The last doughnut
        Happy

Someone (I forget who) said he was a stupid persons idea of a clever person. I think that sums it up perfectly. But I have absolutely nothing against him and as far as I remember he is a capable comic actor.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

None are so clearly upset ...

as those who repeatedly claim not to be upset.

1. reno79

Re: None are so clearly upset ...

Like the spouse who, when asked "are you alright" merely respond "I'm fine!". You know the solid waste is rapidly approaching the rotary blades.

(Note, this applies to BOTH sexes)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It's worth noting that Orlowski's response to the the genuine humble request from a comentard for him to clarify exactly what in Stephen Fry's take on Turing's contribution was "You're having a stupid moment".

Orlowski was down voted more than two dozen times, and no other commentard could provide a concise answer either, so the absence of AH's explanation means that this match defaults to Mr Fry.

Anyway, sod all this, I want the following (spoof, d'uh) to be bought to the small screen:

The Alan Turing Adventures

Mark Gatiss, fresh from the success of his adaptation of HG Wells’ The First Men In The Moon, has been given a lavish (by BBC 4 standards) budget to create this pilot for a proposed series of lavish new detective stories, in which he stars as the titular hero. Based upon a never filmed script by recently deceased BBC veteran Ted Vaaak, The Alan Turing Adventures is set during an alternate history Second World War. Turing here has been re-imagined as a dashing and flamboyant secret agent careering around behind enemy lines in a desperate attempt to steal and decode Hitler’s childhood diary, en route to which he gets locked in a deadly game of cat and mouse with Nazi rocketeer Wernher von Braun (Benedict Cumberbatch).

- http://www.essexterror.com/blog/index.php/2011/03/21/film-review-the-alan-turing-adventures/

Maybe some luvvies can be found to appear in it. Despite Nvidia's recent efforts, we still need them.

2. Lost in Cyberspace

True. Like those on a night out claiming not to be pissed

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Unless they add the proviso "yet"

3. El Presidente
    Facepalm

The lady doth protest too much.

And so too doth Dr Sue!! Black ;-)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: The lady doth protest too much.

Is she still around? Had to live through one of her talks. Who the fuck gave her a degree let alone a PhD?

1. Rampant Spaniel

It's ok it was South Bank University and it was in Software Management iirc. Thats dangerously close to basket weaving.

As for Fry, I can't remember who said it but there was a quote along the lines of "he's a stupid person's idea of an intelligent person". It's not that he isn't smart, he's probably very good at english lit, but owning an iphone and using twatter does not make you a technical expert as noted by his comments about gps (which if he stopped to think about it would be ridiculously hard to implement, gps is fairly simple as a concept) etc. You have to love someone saying they aren't upset that many times. How old is he?

1. Kubla Cant

"a stupid person's idea of an intelligent person"

This delightfully barbed phrase seems to have been coined by Julie Burchill, everybody's idea of a conceited media cow. Sadly, that's not as funny.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: "a stupid person's idea of an intelligent person"

Don't let Adria see that! She'll post a picture of it on twitter and then you'll be in trouble!

2. Matt 21

Re: "a stupid person's idea of an intelligent person"

Conceited cow or not she's got a point. Having a good memory is not the same as being smart and the comments about GPS and the internet show this well.

2. streaky
          Boffin

"if he stopped to think about it would be ridiculously hard to implement"

It's not that it would be hard to implement so much as it'd eat power for fun and profit. GPS being totally passive (unless you're dealing with the crypted signals) doesn't use much power, so you can put it in say, a mobile phone..

1. Rampant Spaniel

Sorry, perhaps impractical would have been a better word :-) Basically, you would need a multichanel transmitter which would probably need some minimal aiming, a significant amount of computer power on the birds and also quite a bit of transmission capability between the birds. You would also have an extra margin of error in there because the data would have done an extra trip from space back down, not an issue if you are stationary but for satnav it might be an extra m or 3 out unless you factor in interial compensation, at least I think so, I don't have an Eng lit degree so I'm no expert ;-)

All rather complicated compared to a relatively simple passive system

4. Miek
    Trollface

"However, he didn't seem entirely unruffled, calling your correspondent a "Twat" and The Register "cruel and vicious" during a series of Tweets, which also referred to a Mr "Orlowsky"." -- Well, I may dislike Stephen Fry, but, I can't fault his assessment and to be fair, it's the Cruel and Vicious reporting I come here for.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Jimmies rustled - Mission accomplished

"has responded to El Reg teasing last week"

That would be a "tearing", and to be fair, the first issue of Mr. Orlowski's article just rolled over Mr. Fry in a T-34 from nowhere without explaining what the exact problem was nor giving link to reference materials [citation needed].

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Jimmies rustled - Mission accomplished

To be fair AO's articles, especially on a Friday are very clearly written in a manner designed to incite us to argue and drive up page views \ ad clicks over the weekend. He seems to do it rather well :-)

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: Jimmies rustled - Mission accomplished

I must have missed something, I always read El Reg as a leading on-line lesbian magazine...

5. Ketlan
    Happy

Thank God it's (not) Fryday

"The ubiqutious thespedian appeared 189 times on British TV in two weeks over Christmas - not including voice overs."

Yet another good reason not to own a TV.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Thank God it's (not) Fryday

Does that break Vorderman's record?

1. kbb
        Coat

No, but it puts her nose out of joint.

2. MJI Silver badge
      Joke

Bl**dy hell it is Fry again, I think I will play a game.

In goes Little Big Planet.

Oh wait!!!!

6. dont care what ever
    Facepalm

luvvies

just proves that just because smart ( tv smart that is !!) you can still be a twat !!

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

"you can still be a twat !!"

Interestingly, "twat" is Neil Gaiman's past tense for "tweet". Example: "Stephen Fry twat six times today".

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Thumb Up

Re: "you can still be a twat !!"

"Interestingly, "twat" is Neil Gaiman's past tense for "tweet". Example: "Stephen Fry twat six times today"."

I did not know this.

I like it.

1. Oninoshiko
          Happy

I have a hard time not liking Neil Gaiman.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I have a hard time not liking Neil Gaiman."

I used to feel like that (especially after all the Sandman, Good Omens and of course the delightful Coraline and The Graveyard Book).. then Amanda Palmer happened. The epitome of an entitled, whiney hipster, le gag. Sadly, I am unable to look past this rather unpleasant carbuncle whenever his name is mentioned.

Hopefully, he will come to his senses and kick her to the kerbside sooner rather than later.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I like it too.

Richard Porter occasionally calls his @sniffpetrol twitter feed "sniff twat". I don't mind an immature giggle from time to time, and it seems neither does Richard Porter.

7. sabba
    Trollface

TGINFD -

Thank God it's not Fry-day, perhaps!!

8. Chris Miller

Luvvie reacts badly to criticism, throws toys out of pram.

In other news, Jorge Bergoglio believed to be Catholic.

9. bonkers
    Thumb Up

GPS

BTW, on GPS, "nor does the process involve any relaying of signals from satellite to satellite." - sure it does, absolutely, they constantly renegotiate their local time and local position between each other, and with respect to the ground stations. Oh and it is this process that relies on the atomic clocks mistakenly attributed to the internet.

As I said in the previous comments, the latest outrage regarding Turing's machine was not very far at all off the mark, and love or hate his voice-over earnings, he does have the humility to mention he knows nothing of Riemann's conjecture, or the Zeta function. ~The fact that he is interested enough in these things to introduce them to a mainstream unfed consciousness is a big plus point, even is it goes a little wonky in the translation.

1. pepper

Re: GPS

Agreed, he is actually quite right. Yes he has his moments, but then again who doesnt? I find this whole thing predominantly silly.

2. NinjasFTW
      Paris Hilton

~The fact that he is interested enough in these things to introduce them to a mainstream unfed consciousness is a big plus point, even is it goes a little wonky in the translation.

And I applaud him for that. The problem is that if you present something as fact then please make sure you get it right! Especially as he puts himself forward as a knowledgeable chap. Said mainstream unfed consciousness now may be fed but its just gorged itself on the equivalent of a 2am kebab that isn't going to really do anybody any good :)

1. Terry Barnes
        Stop

" if you present something as fact then please make sure you get it right!"

I'm not convinced it matters all that much. Using Stephen Fry as a factual source on technical matters is a couple of rungs down the ladder from Wikipedia and no-one who intends to actually use the information in any kind of even vaguely important fashion is going to do that.

No DBA is going to make some kind of monumental cockup and then blame it on Stephen Fry sending a factually incorrect tweet about how database backup technologies work.

He mentioned Turing in the context of some thing that he wanted people to vote for. It's not a thesis on the development of multi-purpose machines, it's a bloody tweet saying 'vote for Turing, he was clever'.

I'm not sure how well any of us would stand up to writing a novel, presenting a TV show, or doing voiceovers and I'm reminded of that thing about people who live in glass houses....

3. SkippyBing

Not true, all the time synching is controlled by the master ground station in Colorado Springs (two doors down from Stargate Command, on the left). The satellites are told the time, the almanac and their exact orbit from there and have it transmitted to them by one of the ground stations, there's no renegotiating going on. The atomic clocks are to allow them to maintain the exact GPS time with minimal correction (and they're adjusted to allow for the effects of special and general relativity).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

While he isn't completely wrong, neither is he completely right.

Problem is, he is sufficiently wrong to sound like a complete tosser to anyone who has an inkling of how whatever it is works, while (due to his self-proclaimed position as a "techie") passing off the same not actually correct information as "fact" to the general public - who deserve a better explaination of "how stuff works".

1. hplasm
        Thumb Up

Sometimes 'Lies to children' are necessary.

hat-tip to Mr Pratchett.

1. BinkyTheHorse
          Boffin

@hplasm

I distinctly remember there being something mentioned about usefulness of those "lies". In this case, said usefulness would stem from the ability to create understanding of the subject matter at hand in the audience.

Please look at the choice quotes ridiculed by the Reg and rate them for comprehensibility on a scale from 1 (utter technobabble) to 10 (Feynman-level clarity). To be honest, I would give them 3 *tops*.

5. Naughtyhorse

absolutely agree, and anything with Fry in it is worth at least a ten minute chance to see if it's any good (mostly it is) and his books are great. Certainly the closest this media obsessed age will get to a true renascence man...

but apple, and twatter????

sorry steve, but you are a bit of a bellend - but a long way from making it only my list of 'ten people not to get stuck in a lift with'

(alan sugar, lindsay buckingham, jedward, cowel, cowel, that twat that does arts stories on C4 news, cowel, matt lucas, and mick hucknall - if you must know) - i know cowel made the list a few times, but i really really don't want to get stuck in a lift with that wanker. I mean with this face, a 20 year prison sentence would be hard time indeed :-D

1. Alex C

@Naughtyhorse

The only think wrong with being stuck in a lift with Cowell is that it would be so easy to work out who'd done those things to him. Having said which after his crimes against music there isn't a court in the land that'd convict...

2. MJI Silver badge

Cowel only 4 times?

I would make it 5 and Jedthing 5

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.