back to article US insurer punts 'bestiality' to wide-eyed kiddies, gasp 'mums'

US insurance outfit Geico has incurred the wrath of campaigning group One Million Moms for punting a "disgusting bestiality" agenda at wide-eyed kiddies. In an advert for the Geico's mobile phone roadside assistance app, the company's porcine mascot Maxwell "and a young female are in a parked car on a lover's lane", as One …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 7

American organisation offended by breathing

... barely worth a breath

1. Psyx
      WTF?

Re: American organisation offended by breathing

"fed up with the filth many segments of our society, especially the entertainment media, are throwing at our children".

- Is that Fox News they're referring to, or the Hollywood studios that put out the likes of Saw?

I'd personally rather see a girl flirting with a pig than someone being tortured to death, but clearly my values are in the wrong place.

1. NogginTheNog
        Thumb Down

"Hollywood studios that put out the likes of Saw?"

Last time I looked Saw and it's ilk had an 18 rating, so hardly being thrown at children?

How easily children might have access to adult entertainment is another question.

1. Psyx
          Holmes

Re: "Hollywood studios that put out the likes of Saw?"

"Last time I looked Saw and it's ilk had an 18 rating, so hardly being thrown at children?

How easily children might have access to adult entertainment is another question."

Ok: So watching people get tortured for two hours is socially acceptable entertainment, so long as you're not a child.

Sounds legit!

1. wowfood

So long as that torture doesn't happen in a videogame, yes.

2. JEDIDIAH
            Linux

I know of no one that views Saw as "socially acceptable entertainment" and I know some really sick f*cks.

The fact that it exists only means that it's legal to produce. Based on that, there's nothing you can really imply regarding it's level of social acceptance.

1. Psyx
              Go

"I know of no one that views Saw as "socially acceptable entertainment" and I know some really sick f*cks.

The fact that it exists only means that it's legal to produce. Based on that, there's nothing you can really imply regarding it's level of social acceptance."

I think the fact that there was enough money to be made by a major studio to produce SEVEN films in the franchise implies an awful lot about its level of social acceptance. These aren't straight-to-DVD releases. The earlier films made a big impact at the box office. Personally I'd rather do pretty much anything else other than watch such crap, but clearly a large section of society enjoys watching people being tortured and is willing to pay for it.

As regards the sick-fuck-o-meter, Saw sadly barely registers on the scale next to the likes of A Serbian Film.

We look back with disgust at the idea of Romans crowding in to watch people stab each other with swords, but I don't think we're far from it with the likes of such films.

1. Fibbles
                Trollface

"but clearly a large section of society enjoys watching people being tortured and is willing to pay for it."

This is hardly revelatory. Just look at the box office figures for The Passion Of The Christ.

2. Jordan Davenport

As overheard in GameStop...

Employee: "I'm sorry, but we can't sell you this game without a parent's permission. It's rated M for 'mature'."

Prepubescent kid: "I've got my cousin here!"

Employee: "I'm sorry, but the answer is still no."

Kid: "But my parents let me watch Saw!"

I think those one million moms should be more concerned with the other hundred million in the country than what a commercial suggests might otherwise happen with a talking pig that drives a car.

1. Michael Dunn
            Joke

" a talking pig that drives a car." Now that describes a lot of people!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ditto: the number of times I have the conversation with my 11 year old son as to why he can't play Call Of Duty even though lots of his friends do... :-\

2. DrXym

It's a front group for the America Family Association who are proactive in taking offence at everything which does not conform with their far right Christian outlook. In other countries they could be ignored, or laughed at (as they are here). For some reason in the US, these people hold views which are taken seriously.

1. Charles Manning

They are taken seriously because they are organised

A million moms may only be 1-2% of the moms in USA, but they are organised and that is what makes them reasonably influential. The remaning 98% who are not offended say nothing so their voice is not heard.

One of these people told me what he and his organisation does. Every month, his wife buys Penthouse, Playboy etc magazines. She then cuts out the nude girls and passes the rest of the magazine to him. He then compiles a list of all the advertisers in the magazines and sends out an email to his group of a few hundred comrades. They all then post letters to the advertisers saying that they will not buy from them because they advertise in offensive magazines.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: They are taken seriously because they are organised

You know, I've always wondered how many of these "moms" are actually members of Anonymous that joined just for the trolling and "The LULZ".

2. Jtom
          Alert

The membership is around 40,000. You didn't think a group like this could count, did you?

3. Marshalltown
          Trollface

Ah, but ...

Are they really Mom's? Indeed, are they all capable of being moms?

1. TwistUrCapBack
            Stop

Re: Ah, but ...

Are they really MUms? Indeed, are they all capable of being mUms ??

There you go, fixed that for you

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

OK, so I'll make an ungenerous assumption about why *she* cuts out all the nude girls, but that still leaves me wondering why *he* compiles the list of advertisers. (IT angle: given that he can't start compiling the list until the magazine has been made safe, the process is strictly serialised, so they can't even claim it is more efficient this way.)

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"For some reason in the US, these people hold views which are taken seriously."

These people would certainly like you to believe that they are taken seriously, but they are probably responsible for the under-performance of the Republicans in recent years. I'm sure Barack Obama reckons Sarah Palin was a gift from God. Like terrorists, there are probably fewer of them than they'd like you to believe.

2. hplasm
    Devil

"right- minded citizens..."

As in "your mind is as closed as ours, right?"

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Devil

Re: "right- minded citizens..."

As in "no lefty communists!"

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
        Trollface

Actually, I meant "liberals". Never mind.

1. P. Lee

So the Australian MP was correct... after gay marriage, bestiality promotion is next on the liberal agenda?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not?

After all, the opposite of bestiality is worstiality.

1. Ted Treen
      Pint

Re: Why not?

Pure genius.

You should not AC yourself:- had I thought of that line, I'd want to flaunt it.

Shame I can only send one virtual beer...

2. IR

Wurstiality nearly the same thing, except the pig has been processed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] except the pig has been processed."

Sp what is the term for an apple pie (as in the unrated "American Pie" DVD)

2. Roger Kynaston
        Pint

but has it got horse DNA in it?

Beer because tomorrow is my last day

3. LaeMing
      Unhappy

Worstiality!

I think that is what my ex- was into!

4. fixit_f
    Thumb Up

It's an improvement......

....... on the stupid gecko ads they used to run back in the early 2000's when I was working over there.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Trollface

Re: It's an improvement......

They still run the stupid gecko ads, and they are getting progressively worse.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

getting progressively worse

@Zaphod.Beeblebrox, Geico has the gecko, Progressive has Flo. Keep this up and we will end up with a lizard sporting a bouffant.

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
          Facepalm

Right, I knew that, I was just... oh never mind.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Keep this up and we will end up with a lizard sporting a bouffant.

That's most of Fox's 'news' presenters

1. Jes.e

..possibly with intervention of large alien spacecraft..

This explains so much about our media here in the US!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"progressively worse."

No, those are the Progressive ads with Flo.

2. guybles
      Childcatcher

Having never seen the gecko adverts, I can't possibly comment on their artistic merit. However, I'm willing to bet that it's about a million times better than (not even dignifying them with a name) having an opera singer as their mascot, then trying to make up for it by repeatedly killing him.

3. Marshalltown
      Pint

They STILL run those gecko ads.

5. lemmac

'Filth'

...is in the mind of the beholder

1. NorthernCoder
      Childcatcher

Re: 'Filth'

Truly...

Does anyone know if this million-mom-organisation objects to Donald Duck walking around with no pants? Or the fact that his last name is one letter up the alphabet from a rude word?

(Icon used with irony (which has nothing to do with metallurgy))

1. NogginTheNog
        Coat

Or the fact that [Donald Duck's] last name is one letter up the alphabet from a rude word?

Euck??

1. Jediben
          Holmes

Re: Or the fact that [Donald Duck's] last name is one letter up the alphabet from a rude word?

No, MUCK <gasp>.

It's a very dirty word.

2. Eponymous Cowherd
        Linux

Rhyming Slang?

As in, "Do you fancy a quick Donald"?

3. Marshalltown
        Headmaster

And where, pray, did you learn your alphabet?

2. Intractable Potsherd

But what about "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"?

Was "Mork and Mindy" acceptable because Mork was a talking non-human?

Enquiring minds need to know!

6. BorkedAgain
    WTF?

Okay, Fruit Ninja is a little old-hat...

...but filth? Hardly.

I have no idea what these moms are worried about. Maybe they need to find something useful to do with their time...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Okay, Fruit Ninja is a little old-hat...

Is that what the apple pie is called in American Pie?

7. Florida1920
    Coat

The gecko lives

No one objects to a bipedal, walking, talking gecko (with a distinctly non-American accent). After all, a majority of my fellow Amurakans believe there was a talking serpent.

Mine's the one without a Bible in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The gecko lives

Snake: Try one of these apples, Eve, they're delicious.

Eve: F*ck, a talking snake.

1. Michael Dunn
        Linux

Re: The gecko lives

Snake: Try one of these apples, Eve, they're delicious. AND it counts as one of your five-a-day!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like