back to article Tennessee bloke quits job over satanic wage slip

A Tennessee born-again Christian has quit his job after receiving a wage slip marked "666" despite previously warning his employers of a serious aversion to the Number of the Beast. Walter Slonopas, 52, toiled as a maintenance worker at Contech Casting in Clarksville until bosses issued him a Form W-2 bearing the satanic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Da Weezil
    Facepalm

The scary thing is that they allow people like that to breed.

1. g e
      Stop

Yup

Keeping it in the family, too

2. Armando 123

Truth be told ...

... crap like this is why my grandfather moved north of the Ohio River back in the 20s.

3. AlbertH
      Coat

Next Door

I live at number 667. Does that make me the neighbour of the beast?

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
        Flame

Re: Next Door

No - you live across the road from him...

(Hellfire for obvious reasons...)

2. beep54
        Trollface

Re: Next Door

Yes. Yes it does. Your gonna die up there...er, wait....

4. beep54

I truly fear for my country. I'm in Texas, which would be more scarey if I weren't in Austin. Pswhew.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No big deal. Change his wage slip number.

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 10:36

"No big deal. Change his wage slip number."

Why? Just fire the ignorant idiot. He's a hazard to the corporation.

Been there, done that. Never regretted it.

1. JohnG

Re: @AC 10:36

"Just fire the ignorant idiot. He's a hazard to the corporation."

The bloke may be a bit weird in his religious belief but there was no suggestion that his employers were dissatisfied with his performance and I fail to see how requesting a different payslip number makes him "a hazard to the corporation". That the number in question was restored to him twice suggests that some at the company were engaging in deliberate provocation, which is probably a hazard to the corporation. What happens when someone thinks it would be funny to give black employees references containing the initials "KKK" or "SS" for the jewish?

1. Miffo

The counterargument to saying it's like giving out "SS" or "KKK" is that the SS and the KKK actually exist.

2. Marcelo Rodrigues
          Stop

Because "666" was just a serial number. It wasn't picked to make fun of him.

If the system spits out a code, like a verification digit, and it happens to be "kkk something" he wold have to be extremely stupid to think "oh, my! Not the KKK! Not them!"

It is just a bloody serial number! Get over it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

« "No big deal. Change his wage slip number."

Why? Just fire the ignorant idiot. He's a hazard to the corporation. »

Perchance you might have missed the in-joke involving the late Mr. Jobs' missive to an iPhone application developer?

[ different AC, btw ]

3. Johan Bastiaansen
        Devil

If you fire all the ignorant idiots, who will be sitting in the fancy offices, driving the big cars, taking home the big paychecks. I can't guarantee he's the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if a company is unable to NOT give him that number then perhaps he is.

2. John Hawkins
      Pint

Agree. Bound to upset a bean counter or two if they have to change a number.

He might be a nutter, but he should be entitled to be one if he wants. We could get into some circular (ish?) reasoning here by noting that by forcing the chap to use a standardised number, the wage system in question really is showing signs of becoming the Beast (or Skynet or EU or whatever).

Definitely a subject be discussed after an evening at the pub; more fun that way.

3. Robert E A Harvey
      Angel

No big deal

A really good manager could handle it.

"Mr Slonopas, we need you. This is going to keep happening to people, and you are obviously a good and prayerful god-fearing person. I would far rather it happened to you, because the armour of your faith means that it cannot harm you at all. Please stay, and be part of our fight against Satan and all his deciepts. Just imagine, once you quit this must happen to someone with far less faith than you, and how awful that might be."

4. AlbertH
      Mushroom

No big deal. Change his wage slip number.

Anyone stupid enough to have that kind of superstition is too stupid to employ. Just get rid of him and hope he starves before he breeds.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should I be worried

My employee number is 097666 should I be concerned that I'm a tool of the lord of the underworld? Oh wait that's my boss anyway...

4. Shasta McNasty
    Mushroom

FFS

They need to remove people like him from the gene pool.

FFS it's a NUMBER and it's only meaning is to mark the increment between 665 and 667.

13 is also a number that people have an issue with - although not scorn upon by random religions (at least none that I know of).

Strangely, people seem to have the opposite opinion of 69...

1. VinceH

Re: FFS

"13 is also a number that people have an issue with - although not scorn upon by random religions (at least none that I know of)."

Given the reason the number is considered bad luck lies in a Christianity story, I've always assumed it's predominantly in Christian societies that people treat it as such - although not necessarily by followers of that religion, IYSWIM.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FFS it's a NUMBER

If his wage slip code was FUCKER and he complained you could also say FFS it's a WORD.

1. Shasta McNasty
        FAIL

Your comparison is flawed. FUCKER is a word with a meaning that is understood and generally accepted as being offensive. 666 is a number which has no meaning other than it being a number.

1. Johan Bastiaansen
          Devil

I think you completely fail to understand the meaning of the words "understand" and "meaning". It implies an acknowledgement of other people. If 666 is just a number to you, but very important to him, than it would be a no-brainer to accommodate him on it.

You're a manager aren't you?

2. Euripides Pants

666 is a number with a meaning that is understood and generally accepted as being offensive.

3. Tom 38
      Holmes

FFS it's a NUMBER

In most American skyscrapers, there is no floor 13.

In most Chinese skyscrapers, there is no floor 4, 13, 14, 24, 34, 40, 41, 42…

Different strokes for different folks.

1. Andy Fletcher

I never understood that. Are the people on the 14th floor really fooled into believing that they aren't actually on the 13th? I suppose they must be.

1. Christoph

No, they're actually on the 12th floor :)

(US floor numbering doesn't have a ground floor, they start at 1)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Are the people on the 14th floor really fooled into believing that they aren't actually on the 13th?"

Hehe. Good observation. Next time I see a superstitious looking type on the not-really-14th floor of a building or seat row on a plane (some also lack a row 13), I'm taking a mental note to make a comment to the effect out loud. :)

1. VinceH
            Thumb Up

"Next time I see a superstitious looking type on the not-really-14th floor of a building or seat row on a plane (some also lack a row 13), I'm taking a mental note to make a comment to the effect out loud. :)"

Have a thumbs up from me, because that's now officially on my list of things to do just to annoy others. :)

1. Oninoshiko
              Devil

I had made the note around here, that someone had decided to skip hosts 0013 and 0666. I added in such hosts, they now sit on my desk (makes it easy to remember, too).

3. Alan Newbury
          Meh

Actually, in a couple of buildings where I have worked, there has been a 13th floor, but it was designed and used for utilities (air-con, telecoms, power distribution etc) so couldn't have been let out even if the owner wanted to.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Airplanes without row 13, Many softwares skip release 13. Canon went from Powershot G12 to G15 to avoid G13 and G14 because the former looks bad in the Western world, the latter in the Asian area. There are still too many silly people thinking "bad numbers" exist and could harm them.

3. Dana W
        Meh

The floor 13 thing is old news. The newest building I've seen with no 13 was built in 1971.

Then again I live in the at least moderaltly sane north.

4. Daniel B.

Reminds me ...

Plaza Carso, which can be basically described as "Slim Enterprises Plaza" (yes, *that* Carlos Slim, the richest man in the world) has some buildings with a 13th floor. The plaza was built recently. A certain company from that group has the 13th floor unoccupied ... because most people are superstitious.

OTOH, another company has a 13th floor elsewhere, and they do occupy it. Nobody cares about the superstition stupidity.

4. Ian Yates
      Devil

Except that 666 isn't the only possible "Number of the Beast", and no one can even agree as to what (a) the Beast is, or (b) what is represents...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I always thought "the beast" was Nero. I mean, it seems he was a bit of a party guy all right.

5. 142
    Facepalm

reminds me...

Reminds me of my brother logging into a Starseige Tribes server many years ago with the number 666 after his player name... and getting kicked because it made the admin uncomfortable! Once he switched it to 13 he was ok!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"He said: "If you accept that number, you sell your soul to the devil.""

And I say it’s a number, between 665 and 667. THAT’S IT!

Anything else attributed to it is entirely social, made up fantasy by the SMALL human mind.

Thats more like it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

helldesk

True story : the guy in the IT department who scored the phone extension 666 is envied by all. Right now helpdesk is being reorganised, and he'll have to give up his extension... all calls for the support will have to made to the number of the beast. So people like this might be able to procreate, but they sure as hell won't be getting any IT support in our part of the world.

1. Kobus Botes
      Devil

Re: helldesk

Man! I could have done that!. I had a user who was forever complaining about her number ending on 666. Every time something untoward happened to her (like contracting 'flu, stubbing her toe, getting a parking ticket, etc.) I got a call to have her number changed, as she was being punished/attracted bad luck because of that devillish number.

I managed to avoid changing her number, as we had used all our allotted numbers and changing it would incur all sorts of unmerited expenses (changing business cards and other printed matter, changing fax numbers, et cetera).

Swopping her number for mine would have had all sorts of positive consequences, looking back. (Can I go back into the past?).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Didn't ISP Demon have a helpline number with lots of consecutive sixes? It was several years ago though.

2. jjk
        Devil

"Your new number will be 4444, have a nice day!"

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Devil

I can top that. In uni, my phone number (Centrex exchange, 5 digit numbers) was 6-6666. By the end of the first semester, we had removed the bells due to the large number of drunk-dialled night-time calls.

And anyway, Revelation says the Mark is supposed to be on the forehead or right arm, IIRC. So a literal interpretation (isn't that what these chaps are demanding?) would mean that phone numbers, W-2 forms, employee and student ID badges should be quite acceptable.

//what else?

8. Vlad The Impugner

It was a mistranslation anyway - the actual number of the beast/whatever was 616.

1. Kevin Johnston

really?

The story I heard was that it was (6 to the power of 6) to the power of 6

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Devil

Re: really?

"The story I heard was that it was (6 to the power of 6) to the power of 6"

You are correct. It is a story. "The Number of the Beast" by Robert Anson Heinlein.

Icon, because I'm a FreeBSD user ;-)

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

616 has a good claim, being on contemporary documents at the time specifically as the number of the beast.

Anything "to the power", that's probably just nonsense. The history of basic exponentiation goes back to the Babylonians, but there's little evidence of it being common knowledge or used in the way we think (i.e. they probably only used it for "square" or "cubic" powers) until the 1500's. And you can sort of see why - there's no need to use it when it's just a short-hand for repeated multiplication, and the ones you're most likely to do if you're applying practical maths are squares and cubes, which have real, physical meanings, and they barely need a shorthand. Hell, throughout my maths degree I barely used higher powers than that for 99% of the time - there's really no need to.

But it's all a load of tosh anyway because nobody can agree on the number and so, short of just blacklisting all numbers, we're stuck with it. If your number is 666 and you resign, it says more about you than your boss's automated system. I also think the same about anyone who makes a fuss about 13 and similar numbers. Life's too short. How the hell does your God expect to do maths if you can't use half the numbers?

And even if you DO believe that, surely fear of the number is just the result of terrorism - being told not to do something because they are associated with something bad. And fear of an abstract concept, like a swastika (an ancient religious symbol, which I still say should have been used as the official symbol to demark toilets if you REALLY wanted to kill its use by right-wing sects), or a number is surely something that's "to be overcome" or whatever if you're a stout religious person.

I honestly see no difference between this and Ron Weasley not being able to say Voldemort. And that's a kids book, for goodness sakes.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Sir

"How the hell does your God expect to do maths if you can't use half the numbers?"

If only the almighty one had said that 0 was the number of the beast - he could kept science at bay for a lot longer

3. Znort666
      Devil

I'm sure I remember...

a story somewhere about a guy that wouldn't take the 666 because of the religious meaning, so took the 616 instead...oops!

As for the article, good let him go, one less zealot...

1. frank ly

Re: I'm sure I remember...

I once read that the number was in fact 66.6, which happened to be my weight in kilograms. I made an effort to eat more and now I don't feel cursed.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.