back to article How to destroy a brand-new Samsung laptop: Boot Linux on it

Linux users accidentally bricked their new Samsung laptops by booting their favourite open-source OS on the shiny computers. A kernel driver crashes on Sammy machines when users start up from an Ubuntu 12 USB key - although other distributions may be at risk - giving them the dreaded black screen of no activity whatsoever. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Silverburn
    Facepalm

Woops

<-- this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Woops

Well if you will run freeware crap, you get what you pay for....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well if you will run freeware crap, you get what you pay for...."

I'm sure your mom loved how you valued her freeware meals. You're one of those poor souls who don't know how to value things that don't have a price tag attached. I can see you are firmly overcome by the illusion.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

> Well if you will run freeware crap, you get what you pay for....

Yes you're right, they should have used a closed source proprietary EFI solution and charged the users thousands per seat shouldn't they?

We know that you only get quality from paying thousands to highly paid consultants.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Obvious troll only manages two responses (and 52 downvotes, which only count in the event of a tie). Try harder.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hope Eadon stays in bed today. I fear a bloodbath for the poor sod.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samdung strikes again. Is there anyone in the world who still thinks they create quality products? they're cheap and nasty.

1. Shagbag

One swallow doesn't make a summer

The allegation could be levelled at all hardware manufacturers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One swallow doesn't make a summer

No, but one swallow made my Christmas. Ahem.

2. Dana W
        FAIL

Re: One swallow doesn't make a summer

Booting Linux does NOT brick My Mac.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Black Helicopters

This is just crazy.

People still use Ubuntu???

2. MacroRodent
      Happy

NO problems with old Samsungs

I have a Samsung VCR (yes the kind that plays VHS tapes) from 1995 that just keeps going and going... A few years ago I thought its time had come due to being replaced by DVD players, but now it happily plays children's films (obtained for free, or nearly free, from fleamarkets and recycling centers) for my son.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NO problems with old Samsungs @MacroRodent

Yeh right, those German/Italian films you can't seem to get on DVD ;)

2. Da Weezil

Re: NO problems with old Samsungs

OTOH my Samsung LCD TV died after 14 months of very light use - it worked.. locked to one channel only and at one volume only - refusing to accept inputs from either the supplied remote, the correctly programmed Sky remote, or the few buttons mounted on the side of the set. According to the service agents it was a motherboard fault - the Warranty company just wrote me a cheque and I rectified my mistake with a nice Panny Smart Plasma that has performed faultlessly for 18 months now.

I have a galaxy s3, but I wouldn't touch their other stuff...

1. randomwomble
          FAIL

Just give it a little while longer and your Galaxy S3 might well give up the ghost as well. Seems to be a known problem after about 6-9 months whereby there's a serious mainboard failure and the device is completely dead. Happened to mine 2 days ago (7 months old).

1. Ari 1

And isn't that mainboard problem because of the flex of the phone? That gives the phone that plasticky feeling and seriously detracts from perceived quality, and puts additional strain on the mobo and all soldering.

Sometimes the perceived quality indicates the real quality. The components are great, but they seem put together in a way that seriously reduces the quality.

2. RussellMcIver
            Mushroom

That sounds like the GS3 "Sudden death" problem. Apparently this is a kernel code issue, which has since been fixed.

2. RAMChYLD
          Boffin

Well, I once had three Samsung CRT monitors (this was back before I bit the bullet and went KVM and LCD), and two of them developed problems about a year after they're bought. One outright died a few months later.

1. Nigel 11

@RAMChYLD Re: NO problems with old Samsungs

Well, we're still using ~60 Samsung 1600x1200 monitors bought about six years ago and format-wise preferable to the 1920x1080 ones you get today. (They also pivot for 1200x1600 if you like that).

None failed in warranty. Two have failed since. I blame London Electricity for frying their power supplies.

Don't generalise from a small sample, or from a single product. All manufacturers occasionally ship lemons. The real test is how much hassle the warranty service puts you through. I don't have mucjh experience with Samsung because their products don't seem to fail during warranty. (And they stay reliable after). IIyama are very good. Acer and Dell were once so bad that we stopped buying from them.

1. moonface

Re: @RAMChYLD NO problems with old Samsungs

Germans have built both Trabants and Mercs. Car building quality, like technology, has nothing to do with the actual Nation or ethnic mix of the workers. Japansese cars built by Brits a case in point.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Wasn't the E-class legendarily rusty, and they seem to have self-destructing interiors?

Still, at least the motors are usually tough.

Mercs are nice cars if you can get your company to buy brand new then ditch after 3 years.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Green Nigel 42

Your case in point of Jap cars being quality British built, (often regarded as better built & in higher productive factories than Japan) illustrates what happens when you remove the cronied, nepotist, corrupt. arrogant, Ox bridged BA'd old style British management.

Now all we have to do is remove them from the expensive inefficient legal, banking, city "investment", parliamentary systems & the recession will be sorted!

3. Eponymous Cowherd
        Unhappy

On the other hand, I have a Samsung Freesat STB, and its a pile of crap (an SMT-S7800). Just do a search for it.

Regularly loses its library of recorded programmes, and required a hard reset every moth or so to reset the increasingly erratic record timer. If you hit record on an SD programme, it will ask you if you want to record the HD version. Answer yes and it will record whatever is on the HD channel at the same time, even if it isn't the programme you want. Freezes about once a month, and every time you have to reset the thing (which is frequently) you have to re-schedule all of your recordings as the timer settings won't survive a reset.

So. while Samsung make good stuff (I bought the box on the name). they are just as cabable of producing a pup as anyone else.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Eponymous Cowherd: All the faults you describe pretty much match issues I had with a Sky Digibox back circa 2004ish. I couldn't believe the times when looking at the EPG caused the thing to freeze. Eventually I gave up on it and got myself a cheap generic satellite receiver and a DiSEqC switch. Haven't looked back since / Good riddance.

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

There's a firmware update for the S7800 that fixes that problem. It's on Samsung's website.

3. Flywheel
      Thumb Up

or, not so cheap, but still nasty

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nasty's in the eye of the beholder.

4. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Hello rabid Fanboi

No prizes for guessing which cult you're a member of.

FWIW, in the interests of full disclosure, I own a Samsung TV and a Samsung monitor at home, both of which are sturdy, attractive, and function well. I don't own a Samsung phone, because I tihnk there are actually better alternatives out there. Those alternatives aren't made by Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hello rabid Fanboi

And your message is what?

1. Dana W
          Happy

Re: Hello rabid Fanboi

It's pretty apparent if you have reading comprehension skills, isn't it? Oh! I see your problem! Illiteracy is a terrible thing. But chin up! There's always hope with remedial education!

5. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Down

re: Cheap'n'Nasty?

Samsung produces rather all right products on multiple IT segments. Yes, sometimes they feel cheap and plastic-y (printers for example), but their display products and SSD's are top of the pops.

What's bothering me is that Samsung support on all those segments are pretty weak and documentation is your standard far-east fare, i.e. if the product even is documented it is riddled with bad English translations and spellign mitsakes, and I have never seen any quality software come from Samsung. I fucking hate with passion Samsung's Digital Signage software (doesn't work well, documentation provided on Powerpoint files?) and don't get me started on the laptop utilities.

IBM, HP and other big houses are partly more expensive because they usually document everything ad nauseam and they support their products very well, producing bug fixes, driver/firmware updates to satisfactory levels. Samsung doesn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: re: Cheap'n'Nasty?

"...if the product even is documented it is riddled with bad English translations and spellign mitsakes..."

Please tell me that was deliberate!

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Re: re: Cheap'n'Nasty?

Are you serious?

He got everything else right, but just those two words wrong and you ask if it was deliberate?

6. Peter Storm

How true. It's the difference between perceived quality and actual quality.

People buy French cars because they think they're good, when in actual fact they're total junk.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@peter storm

Much experience in French cars then. As far as I know Citroen has been the number one in the Rally world for some seven years. I would rather consider US cars as junk due to poor fuel economy and as ever very poor driving characteristics. Sorry, prefer what ever you like, and why not cars produced in GB, but this was about loading Linux on a new Samsung laptop. If a problem, annoying indeed, but how in hell has this anything to do with people buying French cars. And if they do, why in hell, do you think they do it if they think they are junk.

The French have been doing well, with cars, ever since they invented them.

This article was about software, some kernel driver, that Samsung fucked up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @peter storm

Are you really suggeswting that Citroen take a bog-standard car off the road and win rallies with it?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@standard road cars.

Yeah, have a look at how Mitsubishi perform in and out of rallies. Some other manufactures, on the other hand, are pretty close to stock.

2. Chika
            Facepalm

"Are you really suggeswting that Citroen take a bog-standard car off the road and win rallies with it?"

Once upon a time, that was how rallies were.

2. phear46

French cars are terrible, I'm sure there rally department is very good but wether(sp?) or not all that r+d is making it through to the production cars is another matter.

anyone defending French cars has never been in one for a reasonable period of time.

1. asdf

Agree pretty much about French cars but I did rent Peugeots off and on while working in Europe and thought not impressive weren't as junky as I was expecting.

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge

OK, continuing to highjack the theme with French cars; I drove a new Peugeot 208 from Madrid to Bilbao yesterday (350km?) and it made a god awful racket. Luckily it goes back tomorrow and I can get back to my beamer.

Better still, that's so good it only needs two pedals.

2. Chika
            Alert

I drove my Pug for nearly 16 years, so I can safely comment on how good French cars were. I'm not keen on the latest models, but my 1995 Peugeot 306, owned from new, rarely let me down. With 15 years past and well over 180000 miles on the clock, yes, I had problems, but I defy anyone to have a car that old and that travelled that hasn't had problems.

Mind you, the successors to the 306 look pretty poor, IMHO!

3. Trygve Henriksen
            Mushroom

@phear46

I've been driving French cars since 1990...

First my mother's old Citroën GS, then I bought a used Citroën CX which lasted me many years(until my shoddy servicing killed the engine).

The BX which replaced it had a slight fault. Seems it can't take being backed over by a 6WD dump-truck.

My first Berlingo was killed in a parking lot because of a SUV with clueless owner.

My second Berlingo... Well... the sunroof(ragtop type) doesn't work... yet...

(All my cars have been bought secondhand. )

There's no problem keeping French cars running, as long as you show them the same attention as you should your wife. If you don't.. (if you skip servicing...) you suffer endless agony...

4. Eponymous Cowherd
            Thumb Down

Re: @peter storm (French cars)

I have had 3 French cars in my time, and one of them was the most reliable car I have ever owned (while another one was the 2nd worst).

I had a Renault 25 (widely regarded as being one of the biggest piles of crap ever to take to the road). I had it for 12 years and, in that time, never needed anything other than servicing. It eventually gave up the ghost when the gearbox went, but it was 16 years old, so pretty good going.

The worst car was a Ford Granada. 6 years old, had it 18 months and it contrived a simultaneous failure of both the cylinder head and auto box.

The best car was a Nissan Primera. Rock solid, sold it because I needed something bigger. Now have a Peugeot 406 1.8 petrol estate (station wagon to those in the US). Had it just over 3 years and has been solidly reliable in that time.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The French have been doing well, with cars, ever since they invented them." WTF?

1. Chika
            Facepalm

New one on me. Benz was French, was he now? Live and learn... DERP!!!

1. Trygve Henriksen

@Chika

No, Peter Storm was a bit off the mark there.

Anyway, Mercedes seems to think PSA knows something about engines at least, and the 'Prince' engines(used in some A-series, Cooper-S and whatnot) is built in France... ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The French have been doing well, with cars, ever since they invented them." WTF?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_car

French Jesuit Ferdinand Verbiest invented the first steam car in China in the year 1672.

Nicolas Joseph Cugnot of France built a steam automobile in 1769.

Gustave Trouve of France designed and invented the first electric car in 1881.

(Karl Benz was the German mechanical engineer who designed, patented and in 1885 built the world's first

practical automobile to be powered by a gasoline engine. )

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004637.html

first true automobile, not carriage with motor) René Panhard, Emile Lavassor, France, 1891

Panhard et Lavassor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard

They were one of the biggest manufacturers very early on in Europe, and invented many technologies which are still used today in other cars. Like Panhard rods, putting the motor in front with rear wheel drive (Systeme Panhard), modern transmission with sliding gears etc.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like