back to article Drop that can of sweet pop and grab a coffee - for your sanity's sake

Further proof - were it necessary - that strong unsweetened coffee is the only correct workplace beverage and that sickly imitation pop is the devil's own satanic brew has emerged this week. Boffins in the States have confirmed that sweetened and "diet" drinks are associated with a significantly heightened risk of mental illness …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John Latham

Correlation != causation

That's all.

1. FartingHippo
      Megaphone

Re: Correlation != causation

Indeed. I also note the research was suspiciously paid for by Kenco.

Ok, I made that last bit up.

2. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Yup.

"People who drank more than four cans or cups per day of soda " ... [tend to be lower on the socio-economic totem pole, so are indeed more likely to get depressed]

Not to mention the startlingly obvious point that people who drink diet drinks are already much more likely to be in the "I'm not happy with how I look" camp than those who drink full-fat.

3. Jamie Kitson

Yeah, they're most likely depressed because they're fat and are forced into drinking drinks that taste crap by society.

1. Psyx
        Stop

"forced into drinking drinks that taste crap by society."

Pressured into losing weight by society...maybe. But I'm not seeing how anyone is 'forced' to pay 50p for a tin full of fizzy aspartine when they have perfectly good (free) drinking water available.

1. Eddy Ito

"when they have perfectly good (free) drinking water available."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't live in an American city. The water here, in SoCal at least, is neither free nor perfectly good as there are times when I open the raw tap and the aroma immediately reminds me of the hyper-chlorinated pool I learned to swim in as a child. Needless to say the water that goes into my coffee maker is thrice filtered with the last stage being reverse osmosis. Before the city we had nearly perfect water with tds of 50 ppm and a pH of 6.6 coming from 630 ft below ground.

1. Psyx
            Pint

"I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't live in an American city."

Was it stating a drink price in pence that was the give-away?!

In any case, [bottled] water > diet drinks. There really is no good reason to pour over a litre of fizzy chemical crap into your system every day*.

*Including lager.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
              Pint

Re: Correlation != causation @ Psyx

Of course there's no reason to pollute your system with lager!

Real ale, on the other hand...

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Hmmmmmm, speaking of correlation != causation, it's interesting to note that you're not prepared to spend £0.50 on a prepared drink and then complain about "chemical crap".

Maybe (just a thought) if you pushed the boat out occasionally and spent just a bit more on what you eat / drink, you wouldn't have so many chemicals to worry about?

1. Psyx
                Facepalm

Wrong conclusion. Misunderstanding of observed evidence.

"Hmmmmmm, speaking of correlation != causation, it's interesting to note that you're not prepared to spend £0.50 on a prepared drink and then complain about "chemical crap". Maybe (just a thought) if you pushed the boat out occasionally and spent just a bit more on what you eat / drink, you wouldn't have so many chemicals to worry about?"

I'm quoting 50p for a can of drink not because I buy cheap fizzy drinks, but because I have absolutely NO IDEA how much stuff like that costs. (And if tins of Coke are more that 50p each, then that's over £15 quid a week for a four-a-day habit!)

From that you could conclude that either I'm far to wealthy to shop for myself, or that I never buy any form of pre-packaged soft drink.* So you lecture about diet is very much misplaced.

*Except an occasional emergency Purdeys, for when I have a hangover. Is that reassuringly expensive enough for you?

4. IronSteve

Spot on sir, and should be completely obvious to anyone with half a brain. So why do we keep getting these f**cking poxy reports

1. mike2R
        Pint

I didn't get the impression that the author of this article was taking it entirely seriously...

5. Sampler
      Holmes

Exactly what I came in to post, also, it may be the other way around, those heading towards depression might be looking for the sweet sugar rush given by cans of pop?

(can I have my PHD now please?)

1. Naughtyhorse

'cept the problem is not with sugar, its with Aspartame. about which there is considerable debate.

indeed depression is pretty low on the list of claimed issues:

multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, methanol toxicity, blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects and death.

persny i'd rather suck shit through an oily rag than drink any of this crap, so i aint that worried.

6. Eric Olson
      FAIL

Unless you read the study and went through the data and mathematics, you can't assume all Dr. Chen did was make a pretty graph with depression on one axis and drink preference on the other, slapped on a regression line, and called it a day.

More likely, this variable was isolated using a variety of statistical tools that approximate making all other things equal and took into account the other known risk factors for depression.

Of course, it's possible he did just make the graph, since I haven't read the full text either. But the fact that it's being presented at the annual AAN conference likely means that it's not designed the same way that someone competing in a high school science fair would have done.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"you can't assume all Dr. Chen did was make a pretty graph with depression on one axis and drink preference on the other"

No. But I know the one that sadly seems to win out a lot. It takes a lot to show the work has been done over just making it up. Lots of the stuff we follow today is from some one pretending to be a scientist, getting the media/political/economic backing and running with it. Turn the TV on for half of these "scientific" examples. :(

7. Euripides Pants

Drink four cans of diet soda a day for a month and see how you feel...

8. Rampant Spaniel

Well said John, until you have a proven mechanism all you have is an observation.

2. Ole Juul

Dyslexic analysis disorder

So, people who are depressed like to drink sweetened and "diet" drinks. How did they turn that around and make the "association" into a "risk"?

1. Richard 81

Re: Dyslexic analysis disorder

The same way everyone else does when reporting statistical findings.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

The BBC article actually quoted one of the scientists who participated in making the study as specifically saying they have found a "link, not cause and effect connection".

1. DJ Smiley
          Facepalm

As someone with depression, I can understand the link quite easily.

Its rather more effort to make coffee than reach down and open up another can of that lovely sweet cola I have sitting beside me.

2. kissingthecarpet
        Stop

Also, in the mind of most journos(& everyone else) "statistics == data" is true, i.e. a statement like "8 out of 10 owners etc." is a pieces of statistical analysis as far as most are concerned.

Correlation, significance, probability, regression etc. are all completely meaningless to all journalists it would seem. The only stats measure ever used is the arithmetic mean, even when a median value would be far more informative(salaries for eg) and anything that indicates spread like standard deviation etc is never, ever mentioned on pain of death( apparently).

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

As the famous super computer AI, Watson, would say:

"It's all bullshit".

3. Fibbles

This is a piece by Lewis Page. As a result the article does not have to accurately reflect the paper that it is based on.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Dyslexic analysis disorder-lewis page??

wheres the foaming-at-the-mouth anti CC angle?

4. stuff and nonesense

Diet soda uses aspartame as the sweetener.

Aspartame is a source of phenylananine (sp), an amino acid that has been suspect in mental disorders for the past 3 decades (at least).

It inhibits seratonin production/retention in the brain. Seratonin is a neurotransmitter that is present when we feel happy.

A number of anti-depressants on the market work by "inhibiting the absorbtion" of seratonin.

Drinking diet soda isn't a good idea if you are on anti depressants.

Also in the report, It seems that if you have depressive tendencies diet drinks can make the depression worse but if you are not affected by such problems diet drinks have little/no effect.

1. Shufflemoomin
        Thumb Down

Do you see the word 'suspect' in your statement, followed up at the rear by lack of evidence?

3. Thomas 4

So...

Why doesn't El Reg have a coffee icon yet?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: So...

>Why doesn't El Reg have a coffee icon yet?

They do: What do think this brown stuff on the keyboard is? : D

2. bitten

I want a Sweet Pop icon, Madness the final frontier ...

1. Thomas 4

My god, it all makes sense now. Cthulhu is the CEO of Coca-cola.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, Cthulhu is the CEO of Monsanto.

1. Allan George Dyer

Isn't Cthulhu a Monsanto product?

3. LateNightLarry
      Paris Hilton

Why doesn't El Reg have a WINE GLASS icon yet? I've been asking for one for over a year...

Paris, because she's from California and would rather have fizzy wine, aka Champagne (except France says we can't call it that).

4. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

If only . . .

. . . managers could be persuaded to make coffee so essential in the workplace it was supplied free and compulsory.

Then we could tax it.

Pint of cappucino please.

1. NorthernCoder
      Pint

Re: If only . . .

I suggest moving to Sweden.

I can't recall a single workplace I have worked at here which didn't have free coffee for the employees.

As a bootnote, when I was in Crete, I saw that the restaurant menus on the sidewalks usually had four languages; Greek, English, German and one of the Scandinavian ones. I noted one of these menu boards proclaiming in the first three languages that they served espresso for so and so many €. In Swedish (on this particular board) it was translated as "svart kaffe" ("black coffee").

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NorthernCoder

Here in the UK, due to money saving needs, they removed all the free coffee machines about a year after installing them. Then they removed the water coolers for taps. I think the last set of workers must did their own wells...

2. Tom 38

You need to find a better boss, we have 6 of these babies dotted around the office.

1. Steve Foster
        Coffee/keyboard

Holy crap, £7k for a coffee machine?

1. Tom 38
          Coffee/keyboard

It's only £7k without the warranty - which is essential - so add another £2k to each one. We broke two of the machines within a month of moving here, simply by, as the engineer put it 'making too much coffee'. We didn't pay that much anyway, I think around £6k with warranty.

Before we had the machines, in our old offices, we had tubs of Nescafe, which no-one drank, and loads of people popping out each hour to get their fix. £36k over 3 years in capex, but it keeps employees in the office and working.

There should be some sort of coffee icon..

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Only £36k over 3 years to dose your staff up with a performance enhancing drug - sounds like a bargain.

Ask Lance Armstrong

3. Boothy

We get coffee free (and tea etc) just vending machines but it's still fresh ground (they are just loaded with whole beans.

If only the milk in the machines was any good, bleh!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You work in IT and don't get free coffee at your workplace!!!????!??!!?? I mean sure, stuff from the coffee shop is better, but you need something to fall back on in an emergency.

That's no laughing matter </shocked>!

5. Richard 81
    Flame

Splutter!

"Dr Chen is indisputably a real doctor and a proper boffin - as opposed to the larger and less distinguished category of "scientist" - being an MD as well as a PhD."

How dare you Sir! Such an inflammatory statement just caused this doctor* to splutter his delicious and health-giving juice of the naughty bean across the desk.

*PhD only and you can cram it where tech news hacks traditionally cram things.

1. frank ly

@Dr. 81 Re: Splutter!

Dr. Chen is a double doctor. I wonder if he has a TARDIS? Do you?

P.S. For what it's worth, I consider the man who prescribes my medication to be a 'qualified medical practitioner' (and not a particularly particularly bright one). You da real doc, boffin and all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dr. 81 Splutter!

The medical doctor (GP) who drinks in our beer garden describes those with PhDs as being 'real doctors' as they have written a doctorate.

1. Maty
          Headmaster

Re: @Dr. 81 Splutter!

No, Sir,

'Real doctors' wrote a thesis and were awarded a doctorate. (From the Latin participle 'doctus' meaning 'learned'.)

1. Irony Deficient

doctus

Maty, the Latin participle doctus means “taught” (well, really “having-been-taught”, since it’s in the perfect passive). It’s the Latin adjective doctus that means “learnèd”.

Thus, every homo doctus is a homo doctus, but not every homo doctus is a homo doctus. ;*)

1. Michael Dunn
              Headmaster

Re: doctus @Irony Deficient

Sir, that's worth ten upvotes; sadly I'm only allowed one.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.