back to article Kickstarted mobe charger 'kicked to death by Apple'

Apple has apparently screwed a bullet into a project to build a charger for iPads, iPhones, Android mobes and other handheld gadgets. The device includes Apple's new Lightning power and high-speed data connector but, we're told, the Cupertino giant refused to grant a licence for its use because the charger can also top up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Danny 14

err

so you have a USB port and advise people to plug a USB-> lightning connector into it. Job done!

1. Chris007
      FAIL

Re: err

think the point is that you don't need to carry around a USB-Lightning connector around with you all the time...

1. jai

Instead you have to lug around the, frankly, MASSIVE POP Portable power supply instead? Have you seen the pictures? it looks nearly bigger than an iPad!

This thing is bigger than a usb power plug and three or even four usb to usb/usbMini/iPhone30pin/lightening leads.

The only thing shocking about this story is that enough people thought it was a good idea for it to succeed it's Kickstarter stage.

1. Babbit55

I think it is more aimed at fancy coffee bars so people can charge there ithingies and other devices while sipping a tax dodging Mochafrapalattechino. The idea is good for this though sadly Apply want to keep all and any profits from anything they make to themselves really, how long till they refuse the licencing of the Lightning connector to docking stations and the like

1. Fuzz

Charging devices whilst sipping hot beverages is what wireless charging is good for.

I can't believe this device sourced £100000

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

With wireless charging being integrated into cars, coffee shop tables, airline seats and so on the days of Apple and their silly "wires" is limited.

1. Simon Buttress
              Big Brother

That would mean Apple incorporating wireless charging which they're unlikely to do any time soon, and if they do they will develop their own proprietary standard or engineer their products to only work with official Apple licensed induced energy, non-licensed energy will not be allowed.........

2. JeevesMkII

Apple already ship seriously deficient wireless data implementations in their devices to stop people actually interfacing with them in non-approved ways. What makes you think wireless charging is going to be any different?

Interoperability is a dirty word in Cupertino. It's reason number one on the list of why you should never, ever buy i-anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"It's reason number one on the list of why you should never, ever buy i-anything."

Err no it's not. The fact that you will look like a massive wanker is reason number one.

Down-vote away, massive wankers.

1. Zack Mollusc

I _am_ a massive wanker, so i shun iDevices to keep that fact concealed.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"Err no it's not. The fact that you will look like a massive wanker is reason number one."

I don't need any iThings to look like a massive wanker. I'm such a natural.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Apple lead and the others end up following - seen the 'dock' connector on the Galaxy tablet - look familiar. Guess the next one will have something light a Lightning connector. Lightning is what micro USB should have been - it's so simple yet genius.

1. Zippy the Pinhead

Except the universal standard for cellphone connections is NOW the micro-usb. It was approved what 5 or 6 years ago? Fail on Apple for NOT following the standard.

1. rvt
                    Facepalm

Zippy,

Apple already had there own cable types when the micro USB came out. This was already used for the iPod's and adding a second connector just to charge your device is just ridiculous. Also, you GET a USB cable with your iPad/iPhone/iPad so you can stick it into any USB port without issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Fail - you mean for daring to make something better. There will probably be a new micro-USB v2 or something soon. Micro-USB compared to Lightning is a non-starter - Lightning is just better.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Lightning v2 will be out in a few years as well. This way consumers need to buy adapters, devices, etc. and Apple can extort I mean sell a *new* license to all of their current licensees.

2. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Bugger me! Seriously, has it really come down to wanker trolls arguing over that one connector is better than another?! I've seen some damn pathetic arguments in forums but some people really need to get a life!

2. Interceptor
                  Big Brother

Just like NuBus, FireWire, AppleTalk and a host of other apple "Standards"

3. rvt
                Stop

@JeevesMkII,

Apple is one of the few that adheres to standards pretty well. I believe they have been using, and continue to do so the 32pin interface cable. All compatible with the iDevices. The lightning cable is new but I can plug it into any mac, PC or USB charging station and it will charge or communicate with the device I plug it into.

Take any phone from any other brand and they will, or have been suppling different cables throughout the years for each and every different model.

Also, don't forget it was Apple that used USB first, only after that it was the PC that started to use the USB standard, and the MAC's are still using USB next to the newer standards. Where MS or Adobe used there own media format's, Apple have been using H.268 for very very long times, only for other companies to follow and making it there standard, even Firefox comes back to that decision! webDAV webCAL, all standards used by Apple for there iDevices where for example Microsoft uses it's own 'standards'.

Also, USB won't work for everything, you cannot reliably transfer video+ audio signals over USB in a predictable way.

So, don't come to me that Apple doesn't adhere to any standards, they are doing a fine job, may be not perfect, but they are for sure not in a bad position.

1. SFC
                  Trollface

@rvt

The 32pin interface cable isn't a standard, it's an Apple proprietary interface.

Apple did NOT use USB first, your're completely off your rocker. They weren't even on the standards committee for it being invented. Apple tried to get everyone to use firewire, which was shunned by the rest of the industry, and eventually gave in to USB.

You can't transfer video over the lightning doc at all. USB has 0 issues transferring both.

Troll sufficiently fed.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

History repeating itself. Firewire 800 is superior to USB 2 and now the Lightning connector is far superior to micro USB.

Cables are mostly for charging and probably will be for a while as expect wireless charging cannot do 2 amps?

2. Frank Bough
                    FAIL

Hang on, if you can't xfer video using the Lightning connector, what the fuck is that Lightning-HDMI cable for?

2. Ryan 7
                  FAIL

@rvt

Logged in just to downvote that. Although, good things to say about Apple must be few and far between if you had to reach for "They still have USB host sockets on Macbooks!!!1!1".

3. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Dear rvt,

I almost don't know where to start with your nonsense claims.

First, the whole point of the "Lightning" connector on new iStuff is that IT'S NOT THE SAME as the proprietary 32 pin thingy that only Apple used. And unlike that old 32 pin interface, this new "Lightning" thing needs a license from Apple. The reason why the changed is, of course, THAT YOU NEED A LICENSE FROM APPLE.

Second, no, Apple did not "use USB first", because USB is an Intel innovation, which didn't fit with Apple's PowerPC systems. Apple created Firewire, and look where that is now.

Third, Apple has been using H.264 (not H.268) for a while, but don't confuse encoding with container.

Fourth, Apple's "standards" are no different from Microsoft's "standards".

Fifth, if you have problems with USB, blame the individual device, because *I* can reliable transfer video+audio reliably over USB.

Sixth, the issue is not that Apple doesn't adhere to any standards, but that the standards that they adhere to are the ones that suit them, and if they can extort money out of using something else, they've demonstrated that that's EXACTLY what they'll do.

1. Andy Christ

Re: USB

No, Macs had USB before they had Firewire.

1. Chris 244

Re: Which came first?

According to Apple-history.com, USB came first (iMac Aug/98 for USB vs. Power Mac G3 Jan/99 for Firewire).

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge

@rvt

My Galaxy Note very reliably transfers video + audio over it's USB connector to my HDMI TV. Just saying.

5. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

LOL, brainwashed much..

You seem to only believe Apple's twisted version of the truth.

Next thing you will be claiming Quicktime is a open standard.

6. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

@ rvt

Um... your brain appears to be broken. You should ask for a new one for Christmas.

3. Frank Bough
            WTF?

It's almost as if Apple's in business to make money.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Chris007,

That is the fault of the consumer buying an iDevice then. The industry has moved to micro-USB as a charging standard. The Apple solution requires their consumers to carry a converter cable. That is the cost of using an iDevice. Given that Apple won't license the lightning connector to a device that has more than one cable means that if you need a quick charge, you can't use any of those charging stations around.

3. BillG
        FAIL

I think the point is that, for Apple, innovating has taken a back seat to litigating.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Use micro-USB ports and they can use the Apple micro-USB to Lightning adapter - simple.

Or just provide USB ports and people can BYOC (bring your own cable).

3. Arctic fox
      Headmaster

I apologise for hitching my wagon quite so shamelessly to the first post but I...........

..............thought that those contributing to the thread would like to know that Ars Technica are reporting that Cupertino appear to be rowing backwards at high speed. I shall say no more - information only.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/apple-lifts-block-on-combo-30-pinlightning-charging-accessories/

2. dotdavid
    FAIL

" If it acknowledged the question at all, Cupertino - get this - hasn't responded to our query on the matter."

I have never understood why Apple are always going off for a sulk when El Reg says something mean about them.

1. Psyx

"Cupertino - get this - hasn't responded to our query"

Say it ain't so!

"I have never understood why Apple are always going off for a sulk when El Reg says something mean about them."

They deal with a lot of media outlets. Why court any that are less than sycophantic when you could be paying off Guardian hacks courting those who are?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you surprised when some of the comments on here look like they were written by $am$ung PR department.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Spoiled toddler

So are you seriously excusing Apple behaving like a spoiled toddler just because people here speak their mind?

That right there is the best reason to avoid Apple then.

Apple products are designed in "The Peoples Republic of California".

1. FrankAlphaXII
            Big Brother

Re: Spoiled toddler

I may not agree with you very often JEDIDIAH, but in this case I agree wholeheartedly. Designed by a unaccountable dicatatorship and assembled in another unaccountable dictatorship.

Where's the Chairman Mao icon when you need it?

2. W.O.Frobozz

Ah yes the Apple fanatic who only posts as an AC. How those thieving koreans must haunt your dreams, spoiling your jobsian utopia. Buck up little fella, maybe some day the Apple cult will be able to sue all their competitors with their false patents and paid-for juries.

'Samsung' joins 'libtard' in the mccarthy book of slanders I guess.

3. Dave Bell

Comments, on any website, can turn into frothing lunacy. They don't really say very much about the site's reporting of subjects.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

$$$$ are too de rigeur..

Time to use App£€ I think..

2. Daniel B.

Oh, it's easy to know why

El Reg has been in Apple's shit list since the Jagwyre article. They've probably remained on said list because they don't ever pander to any tech company at all, and Apple only likes media that praises them.

2. Dana W
      Trollface

In case you missed it Apple never responds to the Reg. Can you blame them? they prefer to respond only to professional news sites.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

.. they prefer to respond only to professional sycophant news sites.

2. Tom 13

Re: professional news sites.

I found El Reg when ZDNet shutdown AnchorDesk (I presume because like El Reg, they weren't necessarily friendly to the professional bs feeders employed by the major vendors). Similar shit seems to have happened with Tom's Hardware which use to be a good reliable site without overdone advertising.

I guess what I am saying is you can keep your "professional news sites," I'll stick with straight shooters. Even when I tend to fundamentally disagree with their politics.

3. Khoos
      Black Helicopters

Hell hasn't frozen over yet

I'd expect headline news all over the IT press when "Cupertino" starts giving useful answers to El Reg.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Licensing terms

The iPhone maker is legally free to restrict licensing as it sees fit

I'm not so sure about that. Sounds extremely anti-competitive and similar to the position on I-Tunes music that was struck down in court. Licences should be available to all who can pay the (FRAND?) fee and possibly meet quality standards, a perfectly reasonable condition that can be part of the licence.

This will probably take another ex-territorial manufacturer to develop and release the product and fight Apple in the courts. The developers should probably give someone in Shenzen a call and launch the product.

1. sisk

Re: Licensing terms

The lightning connector isn't FRAND because it's not part of any standard. Companies are only required by law to share patents that are part of a standard that would be impossible to implement without them. At least that's how it is in the US.

1. Lord Voldemortgage

The legal ins and outs are not my forte but (as expressed in the Reg article) this is clearly behaviour that Apple's customer's ought to resist.

Whether or not is is overly bulky, unattractive or not cool enough you'd want every option possible for your power hungry devices to get charged - if this thing is going to exist you'd want it to be able to hook up to your iPhone just in case.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like