back to article The best tablets for Christmas

Thank God for Microsoft. Without it and its new Surface tablet this article would be nothing more than me running around having an Android versus iOS argument with myself. Thankfully, as with smartphones, the arrival of Windows 8, here in its RT incarnation, has saved mankind from a bipolar tablet OS nightmare. More …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. The Alpha Klutz

tablet computers be shit

soon people are going to realise how shit their life is that even tho they managed to get fucked once or twice, now they sit around with their significant other, using tablet computers and being despicable yuppy scumbags.

the only use for a tablet computer is to be satisified that you are upper middle class enough and/or you have a violent brain disorder that causes you to carry your ipad around in the front seat your range rover or in the glove box with an emergency punnet of organic raspberries.

they have so much money that they have to buy holidays and pretend that theyre having fun and put the pictures on facebook and they will fuck and more yuppies will come out of satan's loins

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: tablet computers be shit

Maybe you just need to grow up and realise other people have different needs to yours and littering your posts with insults and swear words just reinforces that. I see plenty of scumbags with tablets as well <lol>.

2. Richard 81
      Alert

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't feed the trolls.

1. Shark? what shark?

But it's a troll with a badge. Surely feeding is officially sanctioned?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: troll with a badge

maybe "powers that be" ought to remove its badge, or just change it to a troll symbol

1. The Alpha Klutz
            Thumb Up

Re:change it to a troll symbol

yes!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Troll symbol

Can I has one?

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re: Troll symbol

I was going for the Silver, that's why I had to increase the quality of my posts like that.

I just break down modern reality to give my readers the facts

1. Toothpick
                  Stop

modern reality = your reality. No one else

my readers = both of them

the facts = troll shite

1. Richard 81

I'm starting to think this whole badge thing was a bad idea.

1. AceRimmer
                      Happy

@Richard81

Badges just make it easier to identify people with too much time on their hands

1. Marvin the Martian
                        Windows

@Acerimmer: "badges=people with too much time on their hand"

You mean, it's the modern equivalent warning of "never start an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel"?

2. Simon Harris
                        Pint

Re: @AceRimmer

Badges just make it easier to identify people with too much time on their hands

Check your posting history... you're only a couple of posts away from a badge yourself!

<--- Yours when you get the badge!

1. AceRimmer

@Simon Harris

Now I need to get rid of the badge!

1. Simon Harris
                            Pint

@AceRimmer Re: @Simon Harris

Now I need to get rid of the badge!

Looks like I owe you a pint!

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Nnot big, not clever

Not interesting or funny.

It wasn't even bile filled enough to provoke anger.

Empty.

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re:It wasn't even bile filled enough to provoke anger.

i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

1. Blitterbug
                      Meh

Re: i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

Nah, it's more the shock of finding such puerile whining on a site generally regarded as 'grown-up' (well, sometimes...). Bit like finding a Sun headline in The Graun. Only much worse.

1. ThomH

Re: i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

I think the issue with the badges is that they reward posting frequently and receiving upvotes without penalising downvotes. Therefore the best route to a badge is to post polemics as often as possible; every so often you're going to catch the mood and get 50+ upvotes rather than 50+ downvotes, and the repeated attempts will push up your total.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Benchops

Re: Register badges

are so middle class

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

"Register badges are so middle class"

I think that this is intended as some kind of insult, from somebody who thinks that it doesn't apply to them.

Sadly, by contributing you establish that you're the same as the rest of us (except for no badge).

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Badges...we don't need no steenkin' badges!"

2. Benchops

> Sadly, by contributing you establish that you're the same as the rest of us (except for no badge).

Sadly, this is all true. WHERE'S MY BADGE? :"-(

2. horse of a different color
                    Mushroom

Re: Trolls

are so middle class

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: troll with a badge

Maybe "powers that be" ought to remove its badge

Never mind the "powers that be", one simple adblock rule and all these tedious badges have gone and postings look just like they always did .. I'm almost tempted to widen the rule ot block all the icons as well which on the whole IMHO are just tedious.

1. Blitterbug
              Unhappy

Re: ...block all the icons as well which on the whole IMHO are just tedious

You really have issues, don't you? Why don't we just be done with it and disable JS and use image placeholders. Even better, we could just use one of those awesome 'plain text' browsers. Times New Roman; no annoying pictures... Mmm, nostalgic.

This 'badge' thing seems to have attracted a lot of hate. Funny that, as I've often thought how useful it would be to have indicators of users' mileage on a site, like Ars Technica has. But straight away people are shouting 'elitism', or some such bollocks.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Times new roman?

Serifs are for ponces - sans serif, mono FTW! ;-)

3. Babbit55
      Happy

Wow this post made my brain hurt, my wife got me a cheap 7" tablet from Amazon (a cheap Chinese "Android" device) it wil be perfect for me as I travel a lot with work, also when I am in meetings it will be great for taking notes, also it can run the Kindle app so I can carry our books with me all over the place. Tablet PC's are the new laptops

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

awww didums. is mummy n daddy not getting ickle you a tablet for crimbo then? awww.

not to worry. when you are all growed up and big, you can get a job and go and buy your own tablet and not ever ever let them use it neither. and. and. and. you'll be soooo smart like... genius smart and open a tablet factory and make the bestest bestest tablets in the world and give them away free, but not to them cause they never got you a tablet for christmas, and got you a scooter even though you asked for a tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: tablet computawww didums. is mummy n daddy not getting ickle you a tablet for crimbo then? awww

Stick a splinter ladened wooden wand up yer jacksie!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

get with the times man

dude get with the times.

Yuppies are extinct. The last of them died off in july '91.

You should know the new enemy of the working class is the bankers. Well known fact that.

So stop waving your UB40 about in anger and get with the program.the miners lost, thatcher is out, the poll tax is gone and yuppies are long dead.

Its all about globalisation, bankers and wearing tin foil hats didnt ya know.

1. mrfill
        Mushroom

Re: get with the times man

Get with the times

The UB40 form was replaced in 1996 when Jobseekers allowance replaced unemployment benefit.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

actually that's me and my SO - even though I don't like the expletives, I have to own up that it's true

7. Johan Bastiaansen
      Thumb Up

[img]http://beebinc.bbcmicro.com/gif/right.gif[/img]

8. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

I upvoted this just because it was ape-shit crazy. A fine piece of literature. Thank you for the laughs.

9. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

You are SO FUC*KING WRONG, Sunshine!!!

So much money? I'm fuc*king broke, living on the dole, and yet I invested €20/month on a 3G Samsung 8.9 tab.

Yet, firstly it slips into my coat pocket, so when I need to look up the 'bus timetables, or when at Finnish school need to translate a word/decline a verb, or check my e-mail to see if some moron has had the utter stupidity to offer me a damn job, or (in summer) as a pedestrian, give some tourist directions to somewhere, or scan some documents to PDF, or take really decent photos, or listen to either music, or another Finnish lesson, or radio, or, or....

Has to go in my pocket, I haven't been able to afford a car for the last 20 years, so the only 'glove-box I've got is my coat pocket. Even that's from the Salvation Army shop!...

I'm not surprised in the slightest you got so many downvotes, Sunch.

10. fdlchris
      Thumb Up

epic! This has really cheered me up no end.

The man has a point.

2. Joseph Lord

iPads feeling expensive now

Even a year ago the Android competition consisted of crap cheap products and comparable products at comparable prices to the iPads. I could do with a second iPad (for when my son has out current iPad2) but can't really justify the current prices.

I have a couple of problems with the Androids though, the first of which is Google themselves who I don't really trust not to log all my usage activity and browsing. The other issue is that I'm not sure about 16:9 screens on tablets which I would mostly use for web browsing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPads feeling expensive now

Expensive - really - depends if you feel £80-100 over 4 years as a lot or paying a bit more for a device that is likely to have a longer life or get better support or have a better range of better apps? Too much of this is about initial purchase price and not TCO - my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS.

I'd rather spend a bit more on something I wanted than settle for 2nd / 3rd best just on price.

1. paul 97
        Pint

iPhone 3GS running ios6 - your brave and very patient.

1. Martin
          Headmaster

...YOU'RE brave and very patient.

Sigh.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

> ...your brave and very patient.

I'm "gonna" get myself one of these babies:

http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/grammar-t-shirt-mens.html

1. JDX Gold badge

The top-end iPads feel VERY expensive to me. The entry-level one, not really.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Clearly you have not run it - iOS 6 is fine on a 3GS - perhaps even faster than iOS 5.

2. csumpi
        Stop

"my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS"

my four year old droid is still running fine, has high resolution screen (you guys like to call it retina), still running a three year old android and still can do more than ios6. but I'm pretty sure in the next couple of years ios will get better and be as functional as a android from 2009.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's not typical - in our office we have a drawer full of old android phones that are no longer supported but plenty of iPhones still in use.

3. Toastan Buttar
        WTF?

"my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS."

8th June 2009 is 4+ years ago???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_3GS

2. DrXym

There are some Android tablets which have a different aspect ratio screens, e.g. the Archos 80 has a 4:3 screen.

As for Google, I don't see them being any different in their own way than Apple or Microsoft when it comes to tablets. They all jealously hoard as much data as they can about you so they can use it to sell advertising and so on.

If you feel strongly about it, there are options. Many Android tablets can be rooted so you can obtain a custom rom which don't have apps you don't wish to use. A less extreme measure would be to avoid the Google apps and use alternatives, e.g. Yahoo mail instead of GMail, Firefox / Opera / Dolphin instead of Chrome and so on.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>There are some Android tablets which have a different aspect ratio screens, e.g. the Archos 80 has a 4:3 screen.

And that weird 5" Android LG phone is 4:3. I dislike 16:9 on laptops, but on tablets its not quite as irritating because I can rotate it by 90º.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like