back to article Chinese student fails job interview because of iPhone

An incensed university student in China’s Jilin province has taken to the web to vent his frustration at being rejected during a job interview after his interviewer spotted that he owned an iPhone. The unlucky fourth year student, surnamed Gao, attended the interview at the tail end of November in Changchun city, only to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Katie Saucey
    WTF?

Really?

How did the employer even know what brand of phone this guy was sporting? Whipping out your iStuff for everyone to drool over is sooo 2010...

1. LarsG

What was the job he was applying for, developer for android apps perhaps?

2. wowfood

Re: Really?

Now imagine if he turned up with a samsung. That really could have been awkward.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

""Whipping out your iStuff for everyone to drool over is sooo 2010...".....you mean last decade!

In the UK, owning an iPhone doesn't mean your wealthy. Every chav pikey and their dog has one.

iPhone = Burberry.

Chav phone with limited feature set, yeah, classy!

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"In the UK, owning an iPhone doesn't mean your wealthy. Every chav pikey and their dog has one."

I believe that the Chav Choice is generally still the Rioter's favourite, the Blackberry, with free-with-a-packet-of-crisps 'Droids equally attractive. It's more the fashionistas and Essex crowd who'd head for the iPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

Nope, it's definitely an iPhone (possibly an older model just to have the brand, most probably just nicked). Those higher up in the chav hierarchy will be identifiable by their trademark behaviour of talking or texting on said iDevice while badly and obnoxiously driving around in a second hand Audi.

1. SuperTim
            Unhappy

@Ben 83...

I have an iPhone and a second hand Audi :(

2. Katie Saucey
            Meh

Grrr

What's wrong with my second hand A8? better than a BMW friends tell me.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Re: Obviously!

No, they Samsung phones. They just look like iPhones...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Obviously!

I don't know why the student didn't claim his phone was actually a Chinese knock-off of an iPhone- there are a few to choose from!

3. Jean-Luc
        Headmaster

>In the UK, owning an iPhone doesn't mean your wealthy.

doesn't mean _your_ wealthy?

Pikey? Chav? Harsh terms for someone who spells like shite himself.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Same here in denmark, the bums have them. It seems only in the US that the nominally poverty stricken suffer from unfulfilled lust after iPhones and feel the need the vent their spleens on forums like these. The idea that there is any status/street credibility attached to iPhone ownership is so bizarre and detached from reality that it beggars belief. But I guess envy is envy and like the poor, will be with us forever.

5. toadwarrior

You either don't know what a Chav is or you're just talking shit. If they actually have a smart phone it'll be a blackberry at best or at worst some low budget android.

5. trashbat

To repeat the tired old joke...

Q: How do you know if someone has an iPhone?

A: They tell you.

6. Captain Scarlet
      Paris Hilton

He should have claimed it was an iRipoff (I mean a ripoff of the iPhone!!!!!)

7. BillG
      WTF?

Whipping out your iStuff for everyone to drool over is sooo 2010...

Whipping out your mobile during an interview is sooo... stupid.

Your mind must be completely involved in the interview, and your phone is either on silent - and silient<>vibrate - (GASP!) or turned-off (double-GASP!). Even if you sit for an hour in the waiting room, your phone is invisible.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How do you get the answers to the interview with your bleedin' phone turned off???

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Thin end of the wedge

HR dept list of interview questions

got a Facebook profile?

got a Windows 8/Android/iOS smartphone? (delete as applicable)

what's your twitter handle?

are you on LinkedIn?

etc

etc

etc

Answering No to any of the above will disqualify you from being offering a job.

I would only be able to answer Yes to one of the above so I guess I'm unemployable. Well I am getting my bus pass next week so it really does not matter to me but to some it does.

Postscript

At one recent interview I had the HR droid concentrated for 30 minutes on why I didn't stay on at school and get 'A' Levels when I left at 15, did an apprenticeship and then went to Uni. This was all 40+ years ago so it is hardly relevant to what I can and can't do today. I later found out that this was a standard tactic used to get rid of people they clearly didn't want to employ. Sad, very sad. Just reinforces my view that getting a job is a lottery.

Hmmm. Can I patent 'Getting a job via the Lottery?' $$$$$$$$$ Yay.

1. ratfox
      Unhappy

40+ years ago?

There's your problem… Just come back when you will be younger.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thin end of the wedge

I feel your pain. An HR droid for my own employer (which is far and away big enough to know better) once confided that our active recruitment is almost exclusively via LinkedIn.

Like you, I don't do Facebook (other than via a locked down profile with as close as I can manage, zero data in it) and I certainly don'tdo LinkedIn.

They have also taken up with a corporate internal Social media type product to "improve internal communication" - which is actually at about as valuable as asking a bloke at the pub.

Droids do as droids do, it seems

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        WTF?

certainly don't do LinkedIn

What is that supposed to mean? I don't do Facebook and certainly do do LinkedIn, the two have totally different applications.

1. SoaG

On the contrary, they both have exactly the same application. Selling users' information.

3. sabba
      Facepalm

You should have replied that you did it to garner real world experience that would be of use to both you and a future employer; that you wanted to have a full and rewarding career rather than end up with the career choice of failed social studies students: HR.

3. Bob Vistakin
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up!

To the article, and this employer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thumbs up!

One can only hope that someday you get turned down for a job by some petty moron with deep prejudices.

1. rogue lj

Petty moron with deep prejudices? I'd kinda hope that WOULD come out in the interview.

2. Armando 123

"One can only hope that someday you get turned down for a job by some petty moron with deep prejudices."

Or worse yet, GETS the job then can't quit because the economy tanks.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Katie Saucey
      Thumb Up

OK, I'll agree with the wanton Apple bashing.

1. Ole Juul

Fine, Apple bashing is perhaps a bit off. But I am puzzled at to why the kid would pull out any electronic aids at an interview other than to make an impression. That gesture by itself is suspect in exactly the ways detailed by the interviewer.

1. The Indomitable Gall
          Stop

"the gesture" @ Ole Juul

"But I am puzzled at to why the kid would pull out any electronic aids at an interview other than to make an impression. That gesture by itself is suspect in exactly the ways detailed by the interviewer."

Let me suggest a perfectly innocent reason: maybe it went off during the interview, and he wanted to silence it. Benefit of the doubt, yes?

1. sabba
            FAIL

Re: "the gesture" @ Ole Juul

In that case he still deserves not to get the job because he didn't have the presence of mind to mute his phone before going into the interview. If on the other hand they explicitly asked, 'what kind of phone do you have' and he answered honestly then it's probably their loss and not his.

2. Law
            Meh

"Let me suggest a perfectly innocent reason: maybe it went off during the interview, and he wanted to silence it. Benefit of the doubt, yes?"

So he should have failed the interview anyway... what idiot leaves his phone ringer on during an interview?

1. the-it-slayer
              Facepalm

Re: "the gesture" @ Ole Juul - Shame some of you can't read!

Let's go back to the first paragraph...

"An incensed university student in China’s Jilin province has taken to the web to vent his frustration at being rejected during a job interview after his interviewer spotted that he owned an iPhone.

The unlucky fourth year student, surnamed Gao, attended the interview at the tail end of November in Changchun city, only to be told just a few minutes in that the unnamed firm was “not looking for students with iPhones”."

The interviewer "spotted" the iPhone. Most likely the interviewee had the phone in his trouser pocket and shape of the iPhone whatever kind was quite prolific showing through. Nowhere did it say that the interviewee left it off silent. Anyway, any doofus owning an iPhone who can't figure out the silent switch doesnt deserve a job. But, it is more than what you get on your fandroid equivalent where you need to press 5,000,000 option buttons to turn the damn thing to silent or turning it off that takes a lifetime.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

In China, an iPhone is a multiple of the average monthly wage, not a (chunky) fraction of it.

Perhaps a better analogy (though still a hugely inadequate way of trying to understand this story) would be: would you in the UK hire a graduate driving a brand new BMW hatchback? It would raise an eyebrow... make you ask "what's the story here?"

2. The Bit Wrangler
                FAIL

" it is more than what you get on your fandroid equivalent where you need to press 5,000,000 option buttons to turn the damn thing to silent"

Really ? It's on the lock-screen on mine (o.k. I'm running Gingerbread I've no idea about later versions but I'd be surprised if they moved it particularly deep).

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Me! If I am still on call at my current employer and am being paid to be on call, then my phone stays on. Next time, it might be THEM making an urgent support call where downtime ticks at €100 a second. But I admit, I generally scedule my interviews when my backup is on call, so the odds are low. It has happened once in 25 years.

3. Belgarion
            Thumb Down

It's an interview for a job. Turn the damned thing OFF.

4. dssf

Some interviewrs might use a ruse such as,"Please provide us two relatives' names and phone numbers, two who are not already supplied, now", in which case he would likely be pressed to expose the phone.

Moral: take two or 3 phones, cheapy, a mid level, and an upscale or non-pretentous type of phone and then only expose one according to the environment. Be sure to preload each with contacts so the deception is likely to succeed. Or,bring NO phones, and just whip out a pocket-sized note pad... A spiral, flip pad, that is. Be mindful to only expose a practical, not expensive pen...

5. Vic

> Let me suggest a perfectly innocent reason: maybe it went off during the interview

That's not "perfectly innocent". I would expect it to count against him if his phone went off during an interview...

Vic.

2. Armando 123

"But I am puzzled at to why the kid would pull out any electronic aids at an interview other than to make an impression."

Maybe you keep notes and/or contact information (like a reference's phone number) on it, or use it to send a copy of a resume. Better, surely, than whipping out a bulky rolodex.

3. Gil Grissum
          FAIL

Most people I know keep their iPhone in their pocket. I keep mine on a holstered belt clip. When wearing a suit in an interview, the jacket covers the phone. I'd have it on silent so it wouldn't ring and wouldn't pull out a phone in an interview (whether it is an iPhone or not). So other than an idiot pulling his phone out during an interview, the other possibility is that they asked him what brand of cell phone he has and upon telling them, they made a value judgement on him based on his phone choice. Personally, I find this sort of tactic suspect, as personal questions that have nothing to do with the job, are questions I'm not going to answer in an interview with a stranger. "I'm going to decline answering any personal questions in this interview. We've only just met and that isn't long enough of me knowing you for us to discuss any personal business of mine. I'll gladly discuss my skills, experience, and anything related to this job". If they don't like it, don't hire me and I won't work for you. Also, any questions asked about social networking (including Linked In) will be answered with- "I have no interest in social networking whatsoever. Anyone I want or need to talk to, can e-mail or text me. That's as far as I will go". And that's that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Holstered belt clip"?!

You deserve to fail the interview for that alone...

4. toadwarrior

The interview was over and was back out in the lobby turning it back on or letting someone know how it went?

3. wowfood

I'll be honest I can in some ways agree with the employer. There are people I went to uni with who had everything paid for by mummy and daddy, they did nothing during class, cheated on tests and coursework and now nobody will hrie them.

But at the same time making the jump to "he has an iPhone mummy and daddy must've bought it for him" is a bit harsh, who knows? He could have worked his fingers to the bone in a factory making iPhones and snuck one out, or saved up enough to buy one which would probably make him an even better employee.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They would probably get hired at my work (Marketing dept) out of a department of 30 people I'm the only one from a working class background (God knows how I slipped past, maybe I'm a token).

4. Turtle

Or... A Blessing In Disguise: Re: Thumbs up!

"''Students who have iPhones don’t work. Everything you have was bought by your parents. You haven’t bought anything by working yourself. You are wealthy and can’t stand the stress. Working at our company is tough. It calls for someone who can take the pain and suffering.'"

Or possibly the iPhone owner should consider this job rejection a blessing in disguise.

4. Martin Huizing
    Trollface

As a Choonie (expat living in Changchun) I can say,

that iPhone's are everywhere here; on the bus, on the street, in taxis. Maybe there is a stigma against the latest model. But there are many fakes indistinguishable from the original (on the outside).

Is it wrong to penalize a person for the phone he/she is carrying? No, of course not! Never...

...unless it's a Windows phone :P

Actually I kind of had it with the Apple vs Samsung cat fight. Guess Nokia is in the ring now too...

1. Zolko Silver badge
      Unhappy

depends

"Is it wrong to penalize a person for the phone he/she is carrying?"

well, that depends *how* they carry it: since the recruiter knew right from the beginning that the guy had an iPhone, the bloke probably put his phone very ostensibly (and proudly) on the table looking like : "ha, there, see how cool I am !" ... and that's probably the *real* reason - looking like a fanboï - rather than the phone itself. Had he done the same with an SIII, the sentence would have been the same.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like