back to article Windows Phone 8 reboot woe causes outpouring of forum misery

Early adopters of Windows Phone 8 hardware are complaining that it reboots at random, up to several times a day, and that they're not being offered any prospect of a quick fix. The complaints relate specifically to the HTC 8X and, to a lesser extent, Nokia's Lumia 920, with Windows Phone 8 locking up or randomly rebooting on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Reading Your E-mail
    Joke

Good to see product testing is alive and rotting nicely in it's grave ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What did people expect

A quick, stable, interesting alternative to iOS and Android???

Close but no cigar

1. Thomas 4
        Devil

Re: What did people expect

@AC 12:42

Nice try but does anyone else remember when you could reset someone's Android G1 simply by texting the word "reboot" to them?

My friend still hasn't forgiven me for shamelessly abusing his shiny new phone.

2. ItsNotMe
        FAIL

@ AC @ 12:42 GMT

Re: "What did people expect"

"A quick, stable, interesting alternative to iOS and Android???

Close but no cigar"

Well Sparky...I have had TWO Motorola Droid (one Android Gingerbread & one ICS) phones DO THIS EXACT SAME THING...and had them replaced by Verizon because of it.

Now...number THREE is now starting to do this as well. So it's not exclusive to Windows...sorry.

1. Bob Vistakin
          Headmaster

Re: @ AC @ 12:42 GMT

@ItsNoteMe The FACT that you USE that fucking annoying STYLE of capitalizing RANDOM words in your POST says it ALL, buddy.

1. The_Regulator
            Trollface

Re: Fanbois!!

Unbelievable trolling on your part dude, sad to see....

Running Lumia 920 since Friday, no reboots, no crashes everything smooth and looking ohhh so sweet.

Dumbass comments on here from you and other android fanbois won't stop a great product!! I can't speak for the 8X but I can for the 920.

Side Note: As a little research project maybe you should take a look at the best phones on amazon.com wireless. Right now I think there might be 6/7 windows phones in the top 10 with the majority having very high ratings from customers. Yes I know thats USA Only but it's an easy place to look early in the shelf life.

2. ItsNotMe
            Happy

Hey Bob...

WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH USING CAPS? HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT?

MAYBE I DO IT JUST TO ANNOY ASSHATS LIKE YOU....OLD BUDDY. :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
            WTF?

@ Bob

"The FACT that you USE that fucking annoying STYLE of capitalizing RANDOM words in your POST says it ALL, buddy."

Ahhh, and that would be what Bob?

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Random capitalisation...

The one thing worse than a neighbour's noisy dog is the neighbour shouting at it in the middle of the night to try and shut it up...

2. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Sigh.

If only microsoft had invested the $5 per handset they extort from the Android manufacturers into some R&D instead of having to fake queues outside stores, photos it takes and "reviews" from their astroturfers infesting blogs and forums.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bob

Do you have that as a cut and paste comment?

Try to come up with something original.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Bob

"Do you have that as a cut and paste comment?"

What?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.theregister.co.uk+%22Bob+Vistakin%22+%22If+only+microsoft+had+invested%22

1 result.

2. MIc
        Mushroom

no fake queues

that was a made up story based on assumption and bad info. The dude that wrote that article noticed that MS employees were inline to buy stuff as actual customers with their own money and assumed that they were paid to stand there. That's retarded just like your snarky comment :)

3. bdam
      Mushroom

This is what Nokia was destroyed for?

2. Simbu
    Windows

My Lumia 920 has been faultless. I suspect this is going to become a largely over-reported problem that a small minority of users will experience.

On the other hand it doesn't excuse the problem but I don't think MS has that arrogance towards users (especially in mobile) any more - so it might actually get fixed promptly!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same here. No reboots on WP7 or my WP8 phone.

1. JDX Gold badge

I've seen this on my WP7.5 Lumia 610, but probably once a month at most.

However since iPhones can crash and I assume Android phones do, is this simply a case of modern phone OS being too complicated? I don't remember 'dumb' phones doing this.

1. Chemist
          FAIL

"since iPhones can crash"

Stuff iPhones my mother's gas CH boiler crashes once or twice a year. There's even a little aide-memoire for rebooting it along with a manufacturer's note that dismisses the occasional crash as nothing too important !

2. Select * From Handle
      Facepalm

Reg Readers these days...

Simbu you post an opinion based on your experiences stating you haven't had this problem at all and your phone has been fine and you get down voted. i think the Fanbois are out in force to discredit all opposition to iOS...

1. Lallabalalla
        Megaphone

Re: Reg Readers these days...

Nah, we don't do that childish stuff, it's the fandroids.

1. Lallabalalla
          Facepalm

Haha! And to prove my point, who do you think downvoted me there? Actual LOL!

1. Eddy Ito

"Haha! And to prove my point, who do you think downvoted me there? Actual LOL!"

LOL, ok I'll feed ya. I'm surprised you've only got one down vote so far considering the trollishness of the comment. I guess this second post was because you weren't getting enough to eat. Pity you're not like my Nokia E66 as it only needs to be fed once every ten days or so.

2. Z-Eden
          WTF?

I reckon the Rimboys are doing it to the Microfans...

1. Amorous Cowherder
            Happy

You have no idea the damage reading the phrase "Rimboys" while eating peanuts washed down with Coke has now done to my keyboard!

2. Bob Vistakin
            Linux

"Microfans"? I though the name given to them had been established since it's just the obvious descriptive term:

Nokia + Windows = NoWins aka Losers

2. Simbu
        Mushroom

This almost religious attitude to OS platforms is pathetic and quite frankly hilarious. People seem to think that choosing one over another is 'making a statement'. I choose whatever I think will best suit my needs. If you're judging me on something so insubstantial as what phone I'm carrying around then you're not worthy of my time or attention.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@Simbu It depends....

What do you use your phone for?

Phone Calls? (Yes that's becoming a smaller percentage of time on the phone... ;-)

Emails?

Texts?

Camera?

Surfing the web?

Music App?

Then there's VOIP....

Until you have enough occurrences and enough data of failures, it could be anything. A bad port of an iOS or Android App that causes Microsoft to fail could be the culprit and unless you use said app or class of apps, you don't know what it is.

You can't test for every potential failure. It may just take a 'perfect storm'....

1. Simbu

Re: @Simbu It depends....

Actually in my case all of the above, but I think you're concurring with my point - it's a difficult issue to reproduce and on that basis, not many users will be affected.

Nonetheless, MS can't afford the negative publicity, so what might be a fringe-case issue will still get serious attention from MS and the WP8 OEMs.

4. Brian

Same here.. no reboots and still have 3/4's of my battery left at the end of the day.

5. MIc

Down votes for being positve

seems like negativity is the only currency worth using in this community.

3. Infidellic_

"....and (in the case of Nokia) booting the phone without a SIM for ten minutes, then booting with the SIM back in again, which apparently worked for one user"

I can't help but read these anecdotal "solutions" and wonder if I put "Sacrificing my first born to our Lord and Saviour the almight Satan worked for me" whether people would believe it could be an actual solution as much as the faith they put in these generally baseless techniques.

1. Velv
      Mushroom

Be careful what you post!

While I love your sarcasm, sadly there are far too many people on this planet who believe their God is better than all the others and that anecdotal evidence is widely accepted as gospel (and I'm not limiting this to technology solutions).

Clearly none of them has ever heard of Science, and a logical approach where you change ONE thing at a time in a repeatable manner before you start proclaiming you've found the answer to life the universe and 42.

1. Robert Grant
        FAIL

Re: Be careful what you post!

Yet somehow you're criticising other people for believing their worldview is correct? Who doesn't think like that?

(Spoiler: not you.)

2. Silverburn
        Joke

Science? That wasn't invented until 6,000 years ago, along with everything else...

<-- joke icon. Because creationism is a big joke.....surely?

3. My New Handle

"Clearly none of them has ever heard of Science, and a logical approach ..." BURN THE HERETIC

Seriously, I doff my cap in respect to another voice of sanity in this wilderness inhabited by various *bois

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Seriously, I doff my cap in respect to another voice of sanity in this wilderness inhabited by various *bois"

You respect someone who veers from talking about problems with mobile phones into a moan about religion? Would you want this guy sat next to you in the pub/tube/bus? Especially between you and the exit?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Infidellic

You must be Catholic then...

Sorry, I'm thinking back to the segment in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" where the Protestant can use condom but the poor Catholic sod couldn't because the Pope says no to contraceptive.

Note: I'm not judging, just saying...

Anon, because I do know that there are religious zealots who would take my comment the wrong way.

Just Saying!

4. iGoto

Brings back memories I had with my WP7 (HTC - HD7)...

That time it was a problem with the Zune music player freezing up during playback of DRM'd music. Required a battery remove/refit - power button didn't even work. The support thread ran into literally hundreds of pages and it took about 5 months for us to get a fix from HTC. I swore then that I'd a) Never go back to HTC because they didn't seem to have the motivation to fix it and b) never be an early adopter again.

For what it's worth, I still have my WP7 and I'm very pleased with it and has been rock solid since we got the fix. No immediate plans to upgrade to WP8 just yet though, want to see how responsive MS/HTC/Nokia are at getting these issues fixed. If this rolls on for longer than a couple of weeks or so then that will justify my hesitation to upgrade. Will be interesting to see how fast they get a fix out.

5. The BigYin

MS product is crap. Next up, sky blue and water is wet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and...

...you are going to get lots of down and upvotes for that.

Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

2. Silverburn
      FAIL

Next up, sky blue and water is wet.

The sky can also be wet, and water can also be blue. Analogy fail.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

"water can also be blue"

AFAIK, only when it's poured into things that are advertised as having wings. Look a few weeks back for an, umm, "refresher" (sorry, that pun was rather unavoidable)..

1. Stuart Archer
          Headmaster

Water IS blue

Liquid water actually absorbs a small part of the red and near IR spectrum, so in fact is actually blue. You only really notice this when there's a large volume of water present however.

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~scherer/Blogging/ColourWater/absorption.png

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Though it's certainly not hitting every Windows Phone 8 device

Yep, all those sat gathering dust in storerooms, and all the review units shoved into drawers or sat on ebay are just fine....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Though it's certainly not hitting every Windows Phone 8 device

That's odd given how hard it is to get hold of a Nokia 920, sold out everywhere "SIM free".

7. NotInventedHere

Rock solid here

I've been using my Lumia 820 (admittedly not one of the models fingered in the article) fairly heavily since I got it ~10 days ago and it's been absolutely stable, no issues or problems whatsoever.

8. dave 100
    FAIL

"The problem isn't universal, though if reboots are intermittent and rare users may not be reporting them - unless it interrupts something one is doing then a reboot isn't very disruptive."

Or say, you have a sim passcode, and then you just have no calls until you next look at the phone. Then it is a big deal.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Funny...

But I have had my Apple 4S reboot on its own. Of course I wasn't in the middle of anything and I don't usually turn my phone off, so I have to wonder if there's a memory leak or something that just takes time to cause it to kill my phone.

Again, it could be nothing, or it could be the combination of apps that I run.

Were it frequent and stopping me from using my phone, you can bet that I'd dump it and go to another phone ASAP. (In all honesty, I'd consider a Nokia, not that I'm a window's guy, but that it's price point with contract, and the solid build makes sense. )

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

duh

it's windows

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: duh

If Windows was so bad then industry would grind to a halt. Given the 90% plus marketshare of Windows on the desktop you can't really justify that remark without providing some figures or estimates on improved productivity if everyone used Linux.

Many organisations have tried to move their office desktops to Linux and have ended up going back to Windows.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like