back to article Word wonks insist GIFs are really JIFs

Not content with somehow managing to proclaim ‘GIF’ the USA’s word of the year for 2012, the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries now insist that the correct pronunciation of the word does not use a hard g, as in golf. The dictionary chose GIF as its word of the year because the USA has gone GIF-crazy. Making satirical GIFs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. web_bod
    WTF?

Is this *actual* news - as in currently happening in2012?

Who uses Gifs nowadays and what happened to bring them to the attention of the OED?

1. Deebster

*Animated* GIFs

MNGs haven't really taken off so this crappy format is still all over the place.

Observe: https://plus.google.com/s/%23gif

2. mark 63 Silver badge
      Joke

Pronouncing thing that begin with a G as a J???

Your avin a Jiraffe!

3. Wade Burchette
      Paris Hilton

I always pronounced "jif" because g before i has a j sound. Giraffe, gin, give. Oh wait, ignore that last one.

Maybe we should just say GEE-EYE-EFF and be done with it.

2. Demosthenese

Huh?

I always pronounced it 'jiff' - if anyone uses a hard 'g', I've not met them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh?

Funny that... I've never met anyone who pronounces it as jiff. Regional variations perhaps?

2. WatAWorld

Where in the world do you live where you've only ever heard it pronounced that way?

3. venneford

Been using GIF since at least 1990..

Never heard jiff until the mid-2000's.

4. Code Monkey

You know the "g" stands for "graphics"? Or do you pronounce that as "jraphics"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "g" for "graphics"

Q: Or do you pronounce that as "jraphics"?

A: I do if I've just created an amusing picture of a rather tall even-toed ungulate mammal of African origin.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: "g" for "graphics"

Here here. GIF. Hard G. If it was a soft G, it would be a .jif file.

Anyway, someone needs a huj.

2. Piro Silver badge

This. Exactly. Hard G. G for Golf.

Graphics Interchange Format.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I used to say 'jif' when I first encountered it but then I heard everyone else saying 'GIF' and it seemed to make more sense that way (NW England).

Jif to us is either a lemon juice in a squeezy bottle or a kitchen cleaner (although that now goes by the name of Cif)...

1. Evan Essence

Jif to us is either a lemon juice in a squeezy bottle or a kitchen cleaner (although that now goes by the name of Cif)...

Is that pronounced Kif or Sif? :)

1. JohnG

Is that pronounced Kif or Sif? :)

No - but if we started calling it .JIF, we would soon have to change it to .CIF to keep the Germans happy.

2. Code Monkey
              Coffee/keyboard

"Is that pronounced Kif or Sif? :)"

I'm now open to the possibility that the thing I've sprayed coffee all over is pronounced "seyboard".

2. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

> although that now goes by the name of Cif

Pronounced with a hard 'C' of course :D

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Jif to us is either a lemon juice in a squeezy bottle or a kitchen cleaner (although that now goes by the name of Cif)..."

Ah yeah Cif. Sounds like one particular STD (STI for the younger generation I believe) - A disease - that's what GIFs will be to the web if their poxy 256 colours make a comeback, except for misplaced nostalgia of course.

1. Pedigree-Pete
              Happy

Re: STD.

You speak for yourself & your new generation. STD stands for that number you dial to telephone someone in another area. :)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

jraphics?

Wasn't there a movie (or three) about a load of these living in a park on an isolated island somewhere?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I always pronounced it 'jiff' - if anyone uses a hard 'g', I've not met them."

Have you met anyone who pronounces it either way? No one really talks file types in general conversation.

1. TRT Silver badge

Not general, "fancy a pint down the pub?" conversation maybe, but for me, as a former tech in an arts and print college, we'd come across it all the time. Like in conversations with DTP lecturers, web designers, students, commercial print clients...

3. Herby

One could always ask Doc Brown

He pronounced giga-watts as jigawatts which is the wrong way as well. Of course I sometimes call then giggle watts, or speeds of current processors as giggle hertz.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One could always ask Doc Brown

giggle watts is how much energy you put out when you're tickled.

2. JeffyPooh
      Pint

Jodie Foster ruined the movie 'Contact' when she mispronounced "primer" as "primmer".

1. Zog The Undeniable
        FAIL

And Stephen Rea ruins "V for Vendetta" by inexplicably pronouncing "lever" as "levver". After all that effort trying to get Natalie Portman to talk proper like what we does.

1. Andrew Moore

I doubt Stephen Rae could have ruined V for Vendetta any more than it was already ruined.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And I always pronounced fsck as "fuck suck"

4. Malcolm 1

"jiggawatts" is an archaic pronunciation so is entirely plausible for a aged mad inventor such as Doc Brown.

4. J. R. Hartley

I read in CU Amiga Magazine yeeears ago

... that it was pronounced 'jiff'.

Come on, it's always been that way. Are you for real?? :/

5. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"Jiffs" is the norm 'round here. Also: "jay-peg" for JPEG/JPGs.

1. Kevin 6

ditto by me don't think I ever heard anyone say it with a hard g

2. Vortigern

I hear "Jif" said even less often than people pronounce linux properly, like I don't.

But what's the alternative way to say jay-peg?

1. Andrew Moore

"gay-peg"

Though that brings to mind something completely different.

1. TRT Silver badge

Maybe it should be jay-pay-j?

6. eswierk

The OED is obviously written by a bunch of jits.

1. TRT Silver badge

Yeah, not like those guys in Cambrije.

7. WatAWorld

Was the vulture logo created by a jiffics artist on jiff paper?

I'll pronounce it "jif" when people start talking about jifics artists and paper with squares on it is pronounced "jiff" paper.

"The GIF (Graphics Interchange Format), pronounced "JIF", was designed by CompuServe and the official specification released in June of 1987."

By using an acronym the creators gave up the right to dictate pronunciation.

A bit of IBM trivia here: In Canada CICS is pronounced "kicks" whereas the rest of the world pronounces it C.I.C.S.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Was the vulture logo created by a jiffics artist on jiff paper?

My real scientist friends pronounce PNAS as "P.N.A.S."

I pronounce it "P-NAS" because I'm an immature jit.

2. Paul M 1

Actually the CICS thing is probably more of an age thing. People who worked with it when it was developed in the US tend to still say C I C S whereas once it moved to Hursley the pronunciation changed.

1. hplasm
        Coat

No, Giraffic Artists on Giraffe paper.

In Giraffic Park.

2. Mint Sauce
        Go

CICS was definitely pronounced 'kicks' when I went for a job at Hursley in the 90's. Although, as I sat waiting for my interview, I witnessed a large high-level meeting where they were trying to decide whether to put 'cubes' or 'rings' in the urinals... so I'm quite glad I didn't get the job ;-). Nice house tho.

Oh, and for the record I have only ever heard/used the hard G GIF pronunciation.

Hmm, time for a google map to work out the patterns methinks :-)

3. Gronk

The people I know that pronounce CICS as "kicks" range from people that have worked on it for many years to relatively new people. The new people probably picked up "kicks" from the older people.

3. Anonymous IV

And the Noble British pronounced DOS as Doss, whereas Americans said D O S...

1. Gronk

I've only met a very few number of people in the US that say "D O S". Just about everyone else says "doss".

4. FireBurn

We call it "kicks" here in Scotland too

5. Anonymous Cowerd

Here in the UK we also pronounce it 'kicks'

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward

Same here to your east..

6. Jack Ketch
      Trollface

I wonder how those who insist the correct pronunciation is with a hard 'g' pronounce PIN and pebkac.

I'm willing to bet it isn't 'pine' and 'pebkat'.

7. Wensleydale Cheese

CICS vs C.I.C.S.?

"A bit of IBM trivia here: In Canada CICS is pronounced "kicks" whereas the rest of the world pronounces it C.I.C.S."

It's been a long time since I used the product, but my memory of its pronunciation in the UK was "kicks".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.