back to article Disney buys Lucasfilm, new Star Wars trilogy planned

Disney has bought out Lucasfilm in a $4.05bn deal and announced a new trilogy of Star Wars films under the leadership of the entertainment behemoth. "For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, CEO of Lucasfilm in a canned statement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Esskay
    Unhappy

How long before

Disney decides a "reboot" is needed- featuring a younger, more sensitive Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca is now a "werewolf" with a six pack and Han Solo is (still) played by a geriatric Harrison Ford with a carefully camouflaged zimmerframe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: How long before

Luke will be played by Micky Mouse, Lea by Mini Mouse (Ears work into the hairstyle nicely). Beast from Beauty and the Beast will play Chewbacca and Han Solo will be played by one of the many other disney characters.

After Jar Jar Binks, what more could go wrong. If it means I can buy a toy lightsabre before I have to walk past the Apple store. Then so be it, I'm sold.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Luke will be played by Micky Mouse, Lea by Mini Mouse (Ears work into the hairstyle nicely). Beast from Beauty and the Beast will play Chewbacca and Han Solo will be played by one of the many other disney characters."

For some sick and twisted reason I cannot explain, I would actually like to see that.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

You'll probably only have to wait until Kindom Hearts 5 (assuming that 4 is already complete!)

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Oops. Kingdom Hearts 5.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

After Jar Jar Binks?

Jar Jar Binks as re-imaged by the folks over there at Disney ..

1. Captain TickTock

Re: After Jar Jar Binks?

Jar Jar will be played by Goofy. Of course

1. wowfood

Re: After Jar Jar Binks?

Darth will have to be played by Pete.

And if they have Goffy for Jar Jar, they'd need to use Donald for Han.

3. John Bailey

You forgot the singing.

Every cast member will burst into song at key moments Later released as a limited edition CD every 7 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Later released as a limited edition CD every 7 years."

As opposed to the current Lucasfilm practice of releasing a "new extra special enhanced with nifty new features" edition every 7 years?

We're a few years away from Jar-Jar in Smell-o-vision(TM)

2. dssf
      Joke

"Life from lifelessness."

"It would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix."

(Guess where those two quotes came from...)

Definitely, it would create a new form of "star wars", hehehe...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Life from lifelessness."

"It would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix."

(Guess where those two quotes came from...)

Definitely, it would create a new form of "star wars", hehehe...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Star Trek II : Wrath of Khan

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How long before all popular works of fiction are owned by Disney?

Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity.

1. Psyx
        Facepalm

"Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity."

As opposed to Lucas Films?

Disney StarWars films are going to be crap. But after the last twenty years of Lucas himself reaming his audiences with crap films and crap 'remasters', it's almost a relief.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

"Seems they are much more interested in the money than creativity."

Lucky for us that the young George Lucas was solely dedicated to high art, then. Imagine if he'd wasted his talent with a series of trashy sci-fi films, woodenly acted, and accompanied by endless merchandising?

3. keith_w
        Unhappy

and this is a surprise to you because?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Birth of the Jedi", about the discovery of The Force by a young High School student campaigning to drive the evil shale-gas frackers out of his rural hometown, and who connects with Gaia to preserve the environment and end global warming. Where's the vomit icon?

1. jai

yes, because that's exactly what they did with Tron, isn't it?

and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies

and The Avengers

and from the looks of the trailer, Iron Man 3 is going to be chock full of Disney cartoon characters and singing, isn't it?

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

That's just what is irritating me a little about the response to this. People forget that the films Disney produces don't necessarily include lots of singing and cartoon characters (although you could argue that Star Wars has actually included both anyway, remember Jar Jar, the Ewok Song and that singer in Jabba The Hut's palace).

They also don't necessarily produce kiddie friendly films with cute characters and no gore. Look at the output of Miramax (which was a Disney studio between 1993 and 2010). They produced Pulp Fiction, a lot of Kevin Smith movies and various horror movies, none of which could be called remotely kiddie friendly.

Look at the Marvel films. They had a bit of a shaky start, but have turned into enjoyable action films. They also haven't changed noticeably in style since Disney took over.

Remember, Disney are a business. They are interested in making money with films. While films released under the Disney name have to be at least family friendly (to protect the Disney image), films released under the name of subsidiary studios don't have to be, as long as they make money.

These new Star Wars film probably will be family oriented, but before deciding they will be crap, at least wait until we know more than the fact they are being made.

1. beep54

And never forget that there exists a David Lynch film that "Walt Disney Pictures presents" (The Straight Story). Most anything is possible now.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: How long before@Stuart Castle

"remember that singer in Jabba The Hut's palace."

Oooh yes. Yes indeed.

3. Chris 242
            Flame

Pru Stu.

Not kiddie friendly "Pulp Fiction" you have to be joking!

Music, simple dialog, identifiable characters and traumatic adrenaline shots to the heart.

My 6 year old thinks this is better than "Pingu" and day of the week.

5. Armando 123
      Coat

Or a tv special with puppets, with singing and dancing and ... oh, wait.

6. Benchops
      Thumb Up

No, Disney will be very subtle:

Imagine a fleet of three Death Stars.... one large mother Death star and two smaller versions just behind, camera pans down from empty space on to the fleet of three. The two smaller ones are behind the larger, just above to the left and right, suddenly the sun that was behind them is briefly uneclipsed and silhouettes them...

Insidious.

BTW, the LEGO Star Wars franchise is truly awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRPyZkRVQk

2. solidsoup

Not worried.

I'm not worried that Disney will ruin it. After all, it was already ruined by George L himself with the Prequel Trilogy. I just wish Spielberg would've sold Indiana Jones franchise to some one before the terrible sequel. Michael Bay would've done a better job and that's being charitable.

1. MacroRodent
      Unhappy

Re: Not worried.

My thoughs exactly. At this stage, the Disney touch might even improve it... They could make it campy, a bit like the Lego Starwars short films (some of which are frankly better than the prequels). Cartoon versions with Mickey and Donald Duck, anyone?

1. chr0m4t1c

>Cartoon versions with Mickey and Donald Duck, anyone?

In a shocking twist, Daisy turns out to be Donald's sister and they've both full of Mickeychlorians.

I can't wait for Star Wars: LIve. The Musical. On Ice.

1. Joe User

> I can't wait for Star Wars: LIve. The Musical. On Ice.

You mean like this?

Robot Chicken's Star Wars Special: Empire on Ice

http://videosift.com/video/Robot-Chickens-Star-Wars-Special-Empire-on-Ice

2. Psyx
      Pint

Michael Bay is Alfred Fucking Hitchcock compared to Geoge Luca$.

3. QuinnDexter

Hallowe'en

Any kids that turn up trick-or-treating will automatically get double sweets. Extra credit for character with less than 10 minutes screen time

I think this is a good thing. Take the stories away from Lucas and give them to a good director / producer like Disney have done with Marvel and we're on to a winner. Admiral Thrawn, anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Hallowe'en

Thrawn trilogy would make a great set of sequels, the books capture the spirit of the original trilogy far better Lucas' prequels.

That said think I'd prefer them to do something like BioWare did with Knights of the Old Republic (xbox 1 game) and set it in the same universe perhaps a thousand years in the future with a restored Jedi order and a resurgent Sith threat. That way they shouldn't make the mistakes of the prequels trying to make the story fit with the originals.

2. Hoagiebot

I for one have long wished to see actual Stars Wars movies get made from the two early 1990's Dark Horse Star Wars trade paperbacks "Dark Empire" and "Dark Empire II." They were written by Tom Veitch, and they actually spun off of the events from the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy. The Admiral Thrawn Trilogy was great, but I loved the two Dark Empire trade paperbacks even more. They featured a cloned Emperor Palaptine going on a galactic rampage with several new super-weapons, including the World Devastator machines, the Eclipse-class Super-Star Destroyers, and the Galaxy Gun. And if that wasn't enough, you got to see Jedi Master Luke Skywalker get turned to the Dark Side and take his father's place at the side of the Emperor and Boba Fett once again chase Han Solo, this time through the winding neon-colored labyrinths of the smuggler's moon Nar Shadda. I used to be quite the Star Wars-obsessed geek in my youth, at least until the Prequel Trilogy came out tarnishing things for me and causing me to move on to other geeky pursuits, but even so the two Dark Empire trade paperbacks are the two works from the Expanded Universe that I remember the most fondly. I realize that even with Star Wars having a new owner I will probably never get to see those trade paperbacks get turned into films, but you never know.

1. AbortRetryFail
        Thumb Up

Totally with you on that; Dark Empire was really rather superb.

4. Eddy Ito
    Meh

Big deal

What will we get? Sucks Harder I, II & III, the post-pre-resequelated trilogy where Lick the offspring of Hand Solo and Princess Lay-Ya performs fellatio on an Ewok-Wookie hybrid while binking Jar-jar the undead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

re: What will we get .. the post-pre-resequelated trilogy?

'Star Whores', 'Star Whores: A New Grope' (the sequel) //

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Meh

Re: re: What will we get .. the post-pre-resequelated trilogy?

All my childhood ... destroyed!

5. Damon 1

Jar Jar Mouse - Disney Owns a Death Star (Photoshops)

Disney Owns a Death Star

http://www.vogvo.com/epcot-deathstar.png

Jar Jar Mouse

http://www.vogvo.com/Jar_Jar_Mouse.png

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's that next to Rolf Harris?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Val Doonican, I think.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Ouch

There goes the rest of nice memories I had about the movies that Lucas could not completely destroy......

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Ouch

Now he can't any more!

8. Neoc

I keep on hoping...

... this is a Halloween prank scare.

9. TheOtherHobbes

Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

What's not to like?

1. Ron Christian

Re: Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

Only if Eeyore rips his throat out. And feels sad about it afterwards.

1. Jediben
        Go

Re: Jar Jar Binks vs Eeyore

Oh my god, Eeyore as C3PO and Piglet as R2-D2. I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

1. Tom 13
          Coat

Re: I am seeing light at the end of this tunnel.

Actually I think that's the end of a light saber and not the one you hold onto...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Neoc

Re: Luke shot first

Luke? Surely you mean Han...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next you'll be telling me that Greedo shot first.

1. wowfood

Disney re imaging. Greedo Shot first, and it was only a water pistol.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.