back to article Apple loses UK 'Samsung copied us' appeal: Must publicly GROVEL

Apple has lost an appeal over a UK ruling that said Samsung fondleslabs don't copy iPad's design and the fruity firm better put out an ad that says so. Cupertino immediately appealed when it not only lost the case but was ordered to take out advertisements and post on its website's front page that Samsung didn't copy the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. FartingHippo
    Trollface

Oh my sides!

What's that noise? Could it be the grinding of teeth emanating from One Infinite Loop...

1. Bob Vistakin
      Happy

Re: Oh my sides!

Apple: Sorry.

Samsung: You're apologising wrong. Do it again.

Apple: Pretty please, sorry.

Samsung: On one leg.

Apple (standing on one leg): Pretty please, sorry.

Samsung: Your'e only saying that because you have to. Say it like you mean it.

Apple: Oh, we really mean it now. We won't do it again - honest. Pretty pretty please.

Samsung: Now give me your dinner money.

2. Steen Hive
    Thumb Up

A good day

...Just got way better!

1. VinceH
      Thumb Up

Re: A good day

Well, I was actually having a bad day - but now I've read this, it doesn't seem so bad after all. :)

2. James O'Brien
      Thumb Up

Re: A good day

Not to mention I called this happening sooner or later a month or so ago....you have no idea how much I want to see this appology so to speak.

3. Jim Carter

That's just brightened my day.

Although I can imagine a couple of die-hard Apple fans will say something about this, and get thoroughly downvoted as a result.

Ho hum.

1. henrydddd
      Happy

Re: That's just brightened my day.

I wonder if Samsung will introduce Apples web page as evidence in their appeal of their US loss.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

if samsung did use apples web page as evidence, and then apple say in court something like "the judge made us do it, but we do not agree with the statement" - would that then be classed as contempt of court???

1. Jyve

Alas not, as this has been brought up. They're allowed to comment that they disagree with the judgement (after all, I'm sure many murderers disagree that they were found guilty "he was asking for it!"), but that's pretty much it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, there are people who can distinguish between the products that Apple makes and the company.

I'm OK with the products, but what they are doing in court is beyond stupid so I seriously hope they get their fingers so burned they decide to go back to the normal and profitable business of making interesting kit.

4. dssf

The woosh was... the...

Karma Train

All this fucking money wasted on lawyers when one by one, apple's hell-bent bent for suppression falls like a house of cards. They could and should have seen their move would back fire. Theyncould have donated those hundreds of millions in attorney fees and court-ordered advisories of Samsung's innocence/non-guilt on orphanages, charities, battered women's shelters, political refugees, and ALL KINDS OF OTHER STUFF? so goddamned wasteful of big money when so many people starve and die .

Sigh...... What i almost wound not do for just $250,000 after taxes....

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

other use for that money

They could have doubled the pay of Foxconn workers.

The sad thing is that Apple have quality products that fanboys love. They do not need to mess about in the courts. (I am a dyed in the wool penguinista. Even if Apple ban every competing gadget I will still not buy Apple.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: other use for that money

They really should have spent it on better wages for their testing team to avoid issues like the maps and scratching...

Some people like apple some dont, Apple trying to say samsung devices == apple device is wrong, they are different, I buy samsung Android devices, I DON"T buy apple iOS devices...

5. mfraz

Colour

I see the judge has specified the smallest size of font that can be used, but what is to stop them from "printing" it in white?

1. Steen Hive
      Facepalm

Re: Colour

Simples. "Contempt of court". That'd stop their farting in church.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I see the judge has specified the smallest size of font that can be used, but what is to stop them from "printing" it in white?

That wouldn't work in the Financial Times! : D

(for our overseas friends, the FT is printed on pink paper)

1. stanimir

FT

for our overseas friends, the FT is printed on pink paper

b/c back in the days of old dyeing the paper was actually cheaper than bleaching... and nowadays they have kept the tradition.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe but then again it's a British court so they're not going to be scared. After all the UK can't even get Assange and he's right under their nose. What will the courts do, leave Apple's personal data on a USB stick on the underground?

1. John Bailey
          Facepalm

Charge then with contempt of court, and extract penalties directly from their bank accounts.

Stop them selling magical products until they stop mucking about.

Close down the Apple stores.

You seem to imagine that courts are somehow powerless. American?

2. Naughtyhorse

leave Apple's personal data on a USB stick on the underground?

no mate we'll put it on one of a few thousand internet facing PC's connected to our defence network that don't even have windoze firewall running on them - in a sub folder called 'Roswell'

<down gary, down> :-)

3. Avatar of They
          WTF?

We can't get Assange because of due process and the fact we honour international law and do things properly. We could follow the US and just storm the place, or we could just invade the home country, make the ambassadorial team useless and claim it back. But as we don't, he is still there. That is the point of sanctuary.

That however has nothing whatsoever to do with our courts, the logic is sound. Apple sell a symbol and then tried to claim that wasn't part of the deal. Epic fail. Glad to see reasoned argument, shame the US is very quickly becoming the only place reason is an alien concept.

4. Philolai
          Pirate

Unlimited fines, hauling their UK execs in front of the court, ultimately banning Apple products from being sold in the European Union....

6. Paul E

You can almost hear the cogs grinding...

trying to figure out how to turn the notices into apple adverts.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Not enough.

"....he fruity firm will still have to publish the notice in font no smaller than Arial 14pt in the Financial Times, the Daily Mail, The Guardian, Moble Magazine and T3 magazine." They should be forced to have it on posters inside and outside every Apple store in the UK, and have every Apple "genius" and greeter be forced to repeat the statement that Samsung did not copy the iPad as the first thing they say to every customer that walks into the store. Not that it will change the minds of the fanbois, but it would actually get me to walk into their stores if I could have hte fun of watching one of their "geniuses" have to repeat it.

8. GreggS

Nice way to stick it to..

the Germans at the same time!

1. trottel
      Thumb Up

Re: Nice way to stick it to..

Indeed. And even as a German i have to say: Zat waz a goot on. Up yours, Düssseldorf.

9. RainForestGuppy

The Atlantic divide

UK court displays a unusual show of common sense and declares you can't claim patent on every rectangle with rounded corners.

US court shows flag waving patriosm and tries to ban competition.

10. LinkOfHyrule
    Devil

Bitch, you got told!

See title bitch!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bitch, you got told!

Zuckerberg and farcebook have nothing to do with this one....bitch

1. LinkOfHyrule

Re: Bitch, you got told!

Apple are also bitches, bitch

11. Chris Miller

Still smiling

at the current Samsung ads in the UK: "You always know where you are with Samsung".

1. Stratman

As opposed to

We always know where you are with Apple

1. wowfood

Re: As opposed to

Not if they track location with thier own maps ap

2. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Still smiling

You always know where you are with Samsung

In court, fighting Apple?

12. hugo tyson
    Stop

Front page link to here seems bad

It goes to reghardware where the rest of the link 2012/10/18/apple_loses_uk_appeal_ipad/

doesn't exist...

13. Wintermute

Arial? How gauche!

Will the judge allow 14pt Helvetica instead?

1. dssf

Re: Arial? How gauche!

Fortunately, it was not required to be in WingDings font....

2. Steve Knox
      Joke

He should have required comic sans. That would be a real punishment -- the font geeks who didn't die of apoplexy would be burning their iPads in the streets!

1. DF118
        Mushroom

Daaaamn youuuuu comiiiiiic saaaaaans!

2. Steve Evans

and badly kerned too!

3. Monkey Bob
        Thumb Up

As much as I hate Comic Sans I can't help but think that Papyrus would look worse.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The Law of Infinite Font Regression: However awful font F_i looks, you can always find a font F_(i+1) which is worse.

It's turtles all the way down.

(PS to the editors: how about adding SUB to the set of permitted HTML tags?)

3. jonathanb Silver badge

As long as it has the same x height, then yes.

14. Chad H.

Seems like an opportunity.

The New Apple iPad. So good even Samsung can't copy it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seems like an opportunity.

I see an alternate advert...

The new iPad Mini, Samsung were right, you do want small tablets...

The new Iphone, Samsung were right, 4" phones rock...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember an incident years back where the Sun newspaper sacked (or probably got their distributors to sack) one of their lorry drivers and I think it was all linked to some union dispute. Think he took them to a tribunal and, I assume, won because the Sun then ran a story about how he'd told lies at the tribunal. He complained to the press complaints council who found in his favour and required the Sun to publish an apology ... which they did and directly underneath republished their orignal story under the headline "but the Sun says he's a lying trucker" - so another complaint to the PCC, another requirement to print an apology. Can't remember if it went round the block again!

So, Apple could publish the ruling saying "A Judge has asked us to say this .... but we think different(tm)"

1. Shagbag
      Headmaster

That would be bad grammar. The adverb is 'differently'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also, in their latest App Store Guidelines...

"We view Apps different than books or songs..."

"DIFFERENT THAN"

NO. NO. AND THRICE NO.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That would be bad grammar. The adverb is 'differently'."

But but but... hipster marketing tardery is "funner", surely?

16. wowfood

Appleology

This is an announcement that is has been found by a UK court that Samsung didn't copy us, on the ground that it simply isn't up to our impeccable standards.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like