back to article Eric Schmidt: Ha ha, NO Google maps app for iPhone 5

Google has not made a maps app for the iPhone 5, its chairman Eric Schmidt said this morning - and his company is not working on one. The search engine supremo's snub will come as a blow to fanbois who "upgraded" to the latest Apple smartphone, or installed the new iOS 6 operating system on their fruity gadgets, and found …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe Apple could use BING maps? :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Smart move by Google.

You can have an Apple app permanently in development, watch and laugh as iTards slow give up on Apple, because the maps are a deal breaker (which they are) and they gradually work out they aren't the tech leader than some of the press seem to make out they are, and in say 2-3 years when they start approaching 50% of what Google Maps are, they can release it.

Apple would then be in a lose/lose situation, they would have lost 2+ years of users, and if they reject the app, they will lose even more, if they accept it, it's major and very public eating of humble pie.

Google could even launch a Google Maps on iOS6 that each time you launched it, it shows a 3 second advert splashscreen of the latest Android handsets from the OHA. How funny would that be....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Smart move by Google.

"Google could even launch a Google Maps on iOS6 that each time you launched it, it shows a 3 second advert splashscreen of the latest Android handsets from the OHA. How funny would that be...."

Awesome, though that would never get accepted by the iTunes police.

1. Aberdeen Angus
          Happy

It'd be better if it was a Jim Bowen soundboard.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won"

2. hazydave

Google's probably not doing that. But if they wanted to, it's a simple matter of an HTML5 app that detects the Safari mobile browser, and acts accordingly.

Maps alone aren't the problem. Apple dumped Google Maps largely because they got maps, but not Google Navigation, the SatNav app. Every Android device gets that, and it's very high quality in most places. And thanks to Nokia, Microsoft Phone users are getting NAVTEC SatNav. So this is now a mandatory smartphone function, and Apple's in trouble without it. Sure, they take heat for awhile, and they will probably never be as good as Google. But close enough, someday, and with the required features to seem competitive.

2. theblackhand

Re: Maps a deal breaker?

If Apple can sell a phone that don't work reliably as phones, what makes maps a deal breaker?

1. Mad Chaz
          Linux

Re: Maps a deal breaker?

Because it's the only the apple fanboys are able to find the stores.

3. Thorne
        FAIL

"You can have an Apple app permanently in development, watch and laugh as iTards slow give up on Apple, because the maps are a deal breaker (which they are) and they gradually work out they aren't the tech leader than some of the press seem to make out they are, and in say 2-3 years when they start approaching 50% of what Google Maps are, they can release it."

They'll just hire the the entire Google Maps team and get them to rewrite it for the iPhone. Whoops, too late, they're already doing that.

4. Robredz
        FAIL

The maps on even a so last decade Symbian Nokia, make Apple's maps look like they were designed by a three year old in a tantrum. Come to think of it, the maps on my Nokia C6 i keep for satnav and a spare are far better, than ones on IoS6

5. P. Lee
        Trollface

Given that google knew this was coming, they should have pulled *all* there apps from ios6 and run a huge advertising campaign. Or got Samsung to run one for them.

You want to compete against your suppliers? Fine, do all your own work.

You want to access youtube from ios6? Here, have a flash copy of the video... ;)

6. Psyx
        WTF?

"the maps are a deal breaker (which they are)"

No they aren't.

And even if they are a deal-breaker for you, that has no bearing on the millions of customers that never even use them.

Not every customer is like you. Which is why some customers like different products to what you do.

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Bing Maps are Nokia/Navteq Maps

Apple went with Tom Tom, for whatever reason. Maybe they saw Navteq's maps as part of the competition because Navteq is part of Nokia and they make a competing product?

Who knows; except that there's more to mapping than the basic data, however it sounds like the stuff from Tom Tom isn't up to snuff.

1. hj

Re: Bing Maps are Nokia/Navteq Maps

Bull, because the tomtom app works really great. Still don't unbderstand where all this tomtom "hate" comes from.

1. Donn Bly
          Unhappy

TomTom Hate? No, more like TomTom disgust. I don't have an iPhone and have no inclination to get one, but I am the unfortunate owner of a TomTom. I have found their maps to be so inaccurate, and their update service so pathetic, that a few months ago I walked into a store and bought a competing product. When talking to the sales girl, I told her that my first and foremost requirement would be that it not be a TomTom, because I am tired of driving down U.S. Highways that have been around for years and have it yelling at me to get out of the cornfield.

1. RICHTO
            Mushroom

Nokia do have the best mapping software. Just go to maps.nokia.com goto the Capital - anywhere near the Thames for instance - and select the 3D view on the top right!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Still don't unbderstand where all this tomtom "hate" comes from."

Next time you come across a Catalan, try asking them.

2. JaitcH

For Tom-Tom ...

South-east Asia and China barely exist.

Google has them completely covered.

Thank you, Google, and for being so current with things in Ho Chi Minh City.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Apple just went with what was left, and stitched it all together to make a patchwork quilt of shite.

4. hazydave

With Google tied to Android, and NAVTEQ tied to Nokia/ Windows, TomTom/TeleAtlas was the only major SatNav not already tied to a smartphone platform. Thing I wonder... TomTom is pretty good ... how did Apple core up so short?

3. solidsoup
      Gimp

Apple is too fucking greedy for their own good. They could've took over Nokia for 10 billion and change (not advocating it, just a smart business move). This would've given them a map system that rivals Google's and thousands of patents with only a few that deal with corners. Think of all the havoc they could've caused with that? Windows phone wouldn't just be dead on arrival, it just wouldn't happen. Virtually every manufacturer would be paying rent to Apple. At the very least, they could've licensed Nokia maps for a few hundred mil and combined them with their own in-house features, providing their cult followers an experience that rivaled Google's.

What they did instead was to quickly hack together a product that works worse than Google Maps in 2005. And the reason they did so is because they expect the iFans to swallow it and ask for more. Apple is getting too greedy and cocky and that will be their downfall soon enough.

1. Frank Bough
        Stop

Have you actually...

...used the new Maps app? It's not all bad, in some ways it's MILES better than Google's.

2. Sirius Lee

@solidsoup

Maybe smart but it would never get past the anti-trust lawyers.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Apple still have the lead on apps

Aside from the much slated Apple maps app, what I would imagine riles Eric Schmidt is Apple's general dominance of revenue generation from Apps.

Leave aside commercial apps for a minute and consider Apps created by countless dev companies globally - from my experience, developing for Apple iOS first seems to be the order of the day. In fact, usually, it's the only consideration when developing a mobile application.

It's also arguably stated that developers prefer to create iOS apps because it's easier to generate revenue.

To coin a horrible marketing phrase, it's easier to "monetize" iOS apps.

I don't know offhand what the sums are - but I'm fairly sure iOS lead by a long way in terms of revenue generated from app sales, regardless of how many Android devices there are 'in the wild'

Here's just one source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytravlos/2012/08/22/five-reasons-why-google-android-versus-apple-ios-market-share-numbers-dont-matter/

There's plenty more.

It's clear that regardless of market share in devices, Apple is taking the Lions share of the bucks when it comes to Apps.

Just bear that in mind when deriding Apples Maps application.

1. mhenriday
        FAIL

Re: Apple still have the lead on apps

I read the Reuters interview with Eric Schmidt to which Anna kindly provided a link above and didn't find anything there to indicate that Mr Schmidt was in any way «rile[d]». Perhaps, «Matt 89» you are privy to some other evidence and could be prevailed upon to post a link here ? Otherwise, there's a risk that some unkind souls may perhaps be led to think that it was not Mr Schmidt, but you yourself who was perturbed at the attention paid to this failure on Apple's part....

Henri

2. UncleJam
        Megaphone

In that case go pay for the TomTom App to replace what's free on other solutions.

3. Gulfie
        FAIL

Schmidt doesn't give a damn about app revenue. What he cares about is (a) putting Google technology into as many devices as possible and (b) the ad impressions he can sell on the back of that.

Google make most of their money from advertising, and having a successful (and soon to be dominant) mobile OS puts them in a position to carry on making money from advertising as desktop browsing continues to wane.

Apple make most of their money from hardware and are supposed to provide an "it just works" user experience to justify the hefty price premium paid for that hardware. Without decent mapping - actually it isn't the maps themselves that provide the value, its the ability to search for, say, Wagamama and then get walking directions to the one you choose - Apple are going to find it much harder to switch Android users - which in the high-value economies of the West is their target market these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because iTards of all shapes and sizes are 我侭 (wagamama). I wouldn't be surprised if the founder doesn't even knows what that means. Engrish is funny, but this... hmmmm...

4. Rob Crawford

Sorry but whats your point?

The maps app is shit, but that doesn't matter as developers of other apps are earning money from iOS.

I don't quite understand your train of thought.

5. Mark .

"developing for Apple iOS first seems to be the order of the day"

The problem with your argument is that Apple seems to be catered for first even for applications that aren't sold for money. Indeed if anything, this is more common among applications given away for free, consider the website wrappers "apps", and the applications give to access a company's service.

So it's nothing to do with monetizing (which seems a poor argument anyway, FUD similar to "But Linux users don't pay for software" nonsense). Nor is it to do with market share.

"http://www.forbes.com/sites/darcytravlos/2012/08/22/five-reasons-why-google-android-versus-apple-ios-market-share-numbers-dont-matter/"

The URL tells me all I need to know - if they only pick two platforms, it's a flawed article.

"Just bear that in mind when deriding Apples Maps application."

Why? Are Google Maps and Apple Maps paid applications?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bing maps? You mean Nokia Maps....the most mature, up-to-date maps available for any mobile device.

2. Bob Vistakin
    Pint

iTards can all get lost

Oh, wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iTards can all get lost

Grow up Bob. Try a comment that's slightly off your tried and tedious formula.

1. ByeLaw101
        Happy

"Grow up Bob". Yikes, Bob obviously hit a nerve there.... you could be an adult yourself and just ignore the pesky kid ;)

1. Stubar

Or not critisie whilst hiding behind an AC cut out dummy .....

1. Stubar

Bugger, snide comment with spelling mistake.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But this comment was actually funny, not just trollbait. "can all get lost" geddit??

2. sabba
        Thumb Down

I thought Bob's comment was quite witty. And at least he didn't hide behind the banner of AC.

I am guessing the respondent perhaps has an iP5 and perhaps is lost!!

1. dogged
          Meh

And at least he didn't hide behind the banner of AC.

Well no, but "Bob" "Vista" "Kin" shows pretty much where our Bob lies on the "let's consider the various qualities of these competing products and make a rational judgement on those qualities alone" scale. He registers a 44 on the trollometer.

Not that my "name" is on my passport either, although at least mine is personally descriptive and not chosen to troll anyone, except those who'd prefer that people give up easily or who like cats.

1. Bob Vistakin
            Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDz4wMI9J8

1. Mephistro
              Coffee/keyboard

Re: iTards can all get lost (@ Bob Vistakin)

"They sued everyone for rounded corners, now nobody can find a fucking corner!!!

ROFL, literally

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Not that my "name" is on my passport either, although at least mine is personally descriptive and not chosen to troll anyone, except those who'd prefer that people give up easily or who like cats."

Erm... I take it you're not British then? A dog owner is not exactly what came to my mind in looking at your handle.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I thought Bob's comment was quite witty. And at least he didn't hide behind the banner of AC."

No difference when you hide behind monikers like "Stubar" and "sabba", genius.

3. h4rm0ny

Hey. That's the first comment from Bob that I've found funny. Let him have his moment of glory. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Grow up Bob.

Come off it. It was pertinent and very funny.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Grow up Bob"

Oh come on, be a sport and accept that was quite a witty one.

2. John Bailey

Well.. now there really is an app for that.

3. cantankerousblogger
      Joke

Given that the iPhone's ubiquity in the gay man's pocket has more to do with grindr than Jonathan Ive's beautiful design, getting lost could get very embarrassing...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well, there is no usable free alternative for iOS6... there are plenty of paid-for satnav apps, though. Depends on whether you use it to get from postcode to postcode, or if you use it to find shops, museums, etc.

1. Mark Wilson

Bing?

There is a free alternative. Microsoft's Bing contains their maps, maybe not the best but far better than the stock one from Apple and most things are in the right place.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Bing?

I use maps on my WP7 device (Lumia 710) and they've worked excellently for navigation whilst driving. The voice is always pretty prompt and clear about what turnings are coming up and it's very quick to locate where I am and calculate or update a route. If Apple don't like Google, then they could possibly have licenced maps from MS as these work well. They might not want to work with MS, either. But at least MS would probably agree to sell them the full technology. Apple were basically forced into this by Google which refused to allow them to use the same features that Google themselves were allowed to on Android devices. Basically, Google wanted Apple to pay for a more limited version of what Google has. The Apple maps is a big fuss right now, but two years from now they might have something feature equivalent to Google's maps, but if they didn't do this, then two years from now, they would still be hamstrung by Google deciding what they could and couldn't have on their own phones.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like