back to article Governments block YouTube over that video

Google’s YouTube service is under fire across the Muslim world after several governments blocked the site outright after the web giant refused to remove or restrict access to a video uploaded by a US filmmaker ridiculing the Prophet Muhammed. The 13 minute video, a trailer for an amateurish film called the Innocence of Muslims …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Shagbag

Jesus-H-Christ

The facts are:

1. More wars have been fought over religion that any other form of dispute;

2. God/Allah/whatever is mankind's greatest invention.

3. The Catholic Church is a safe haven for peados.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This religion

Is a way of controlling the masses.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Alert

Re: This religion

ALL religions are ways of controlling the masses, and when you mess with that control you become the anti-religion for whichever group you upset.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
        Mushroom

The masses seem to be rather out of control at the moment...

1. joejack
          Megaphone

"Out of control"? No, heads of state and local media are lying to their citizens, saying things like the US was behind the vid. Distracts the constituents from the real issues, much like we're being lied to over here, never more so than during the lead-up to an election.

3. MIc

more so than you know.

http://www.amazon.com/On-The-Origin-Religion-ebook/dp/B008F8R25K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348080003&sr=8-1&keywords=on+the+origins+of+religion

2. DanceMan

Re: fought over religion than any other form of dispute

Didn't you mean "disrepute'?

3. RISC OS

Re: Jesus-H-Christ

"The Catholic Church is a safe haven for peados."

It's the oldest peado ring

4. John Deeb
      Angel

Shagbag: "More wars have been fought over religion that any other form of dispute;"

Yeah, like most recently and massively WW1 and WW2, right?

Ignorance is a more likely cause and wears many hats and miters. Take off yours!

1. badmonkey
        Mushroom

1) Go away,

2) research Serbian/Russian Orthodoxy, Austrian-German Catholicism, Turkish/Ottoman Islamist expansionism, the pan-Arab cause, the Catholic Right involvement in fascism, the explicit backing of the Nazis by the Vatican, antisemitism here there and everywhere, and Japanese militant Buddhism and Shintoism to start with,

3) come back and THEN we'll talk about religious factors in WW 1 & 2.

Okay?

1. Keith Williams

you forgot Muslim expansionism and the Crusades.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Scott Wheeler
      Thumb Down

You say more wars have been fought over religion than any other form of dispute. Prove it.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And in other news, latest research shows that GRAVITY is the leading cause of injuries due to falls.

What's your point?

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wars are fought over money in one form or another, usually. Religion is just used to recruit the cannon-fodder.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Pea DOS"

That's taking down a web site by overloading it with lots of small round green vegetables, I suppose?

2. Vic

> Wars are fought over money in one form or another

ITYF it's power, rather than money. Money is merely one of the trappings of power...

Vic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Big Brother

> ITYF it's power, rather than money. Money is merely one of the trappings of power...

Truly it is power.

Money, religion, politics: it is all one. Control what people think and you control them.

The original poster was partially right about religion being *one* of the greatest causes of war. It is by no means the only one however.

The thing about these "Mohammed" issues is that no-one bats an eye about these videos until some mullah somewhere speaks out about it. Then all hell breaks loose.

Honestly, some of these religious nutters appear to have no rational minds of their own.

Personnally, I think we should have a ton more of these videos. We should put pictures of the "prophet" all over the Internet, walls, books, wherever we can. Desensitise them. They would get fed up of blowing themselves up eventually, and get on with their sorry lives.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"ITYF it's power, rather than money."

Once you're past barter it's the same thing. Probably even before that.

8. Scott 1

The largest mass-murders in modern history killed innocents in the pursuit of atheistic social philosophies (Lenin/Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Castro, Ho-Chi-Minh, etc).

1. Keith Williams
        Thumb Down

Communism is a religion

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The largest mass-murders in modern history killed innocents in the pursuit of atheistic social philosophies"

You might want to have a re-think about that. Mostly around what an "atheistic social philosophy" is and why its a meaningless phrase.

9. Keith Williams

and dont forget the 30 years war either. (catholicism vs protestantism/lutherism

10. Blitterbug
      Headmaster

...paedos

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And so it begins.....

I know the video inflames the sensitivities of some, but instead of running around killing people and rioting just see it for what it is, a crap film made by an idiot who doesn't know better.

Banning it plays into the hands of the extremists who can now hold there hands up and claim how right they are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, they wont

see it "for what it is".

There is NO tolerance when you insult their deity...

I assume you are a westerner? In that case this so called peaceful religion would have you publicly beheaded.

They have a mindset that we, as westerners, do not understand.

For a so called modern religion, based on peace (they say) i dont remember any recent cases of the mary whitehouse bridage on the war path demending executions, rioting, basically behaving in a un godly manner because someone called jesus a c***.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No, they wont

"here is NO tolerance when you insult their deity..."

Nor even when you insult some bloke who had a chat with Allah once, apparently, since Mohammed isn't a deity as far as I'm aware.

Oh I'm gonna burn now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

He's not a deity...

... he is a pedo. "Marrying" a 6 yr old and then having the decency to wait till she is 9 before raping her...

You can see that islam is not a peacful religion.... how many suicde tibetans do you see? How many of them kill diplomats and blow up tourist becuase of abuse by china. None. It has nothing to do with blasphemy and everything to do with eductaion - or in this case the lack of it.

And by there own actions they are showing the civilised world that what was in the film is true.

Blowing people up and killing people while shouting that islam is a peacful religion - what a double bind - like those parents who scream at their children to shutup in supermarkets because they are running around screaming.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Islam is a peaceful religion*

*As long as you are Muslim**

**The right kind of Muslim

2. Graham Marsden
            Boffin

Re: He's not a deity...

Oh dear, and so we see the usuall trollish comments about Mohammed and Islam from ignorant idiots who believe what they read in the Tabloid Media without bothering to open their eyes (or minds) to any other point of view.

Can you not get it through your heads that a few fanatics are *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam any more than the idiots who made this film are representative of Christianity?

I have a Muslim family living next to me and I've not had problems with them diving over the wall wearing a Semtex waist coat and yelling "Allahu Akbar!" it's usually just their kids saying "can we get our ball back"...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: He's not a deity...

Troll - a word used on the internet to make any comment that you don't aggree with look bad - like islamophobia.

Oh dear, please open your ideas to other points of view, you are obviously close minded and can't accept any other view point, other than your own.

So you have a muslim family living next to you? Can you not get it through your head that one family is *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam? Going by your logic, my smoking doesn't cause cancer because my nextdoor neighbor has been smoking since he was 12 and he hasn't got it, so obviously it's bollocks put about by the tabloid media.

I live in "klein istanbul" in berlin and am surrounded by muslims... if only they behaved as you claimed your neighbors behave, there would be a few less problems in the world. Sadly the majority of muslims do behave like the person who killed the US diplomat

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-cuts-wife-s-head-off-throws-it-off-apartment-rooftop

That guy was soemone's neighbor too... or his wife did was tell him she wanted a divorce because of his affair.

Last week a woman got dragged by her hair down the street in berlin becuase she wanted to see a boy, and on saturday a muslim was wondering around with a butchers knife looking for his girlfriend because his girlfriend looked at another man.

1. Graham Marsden
                Boffin

@AC Re: He's not a deity...

"Sadly the majority of muslims do behave like the person who killed the US diplomat"

Really?

Islam is estimated to have something over one and a half *BILLION* followers world wide, around a fifth of the world's population.

If the "majority" (defined as > 50%) of Muslims behaved the way you claim, I think we'd have noticed it a bit by now.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC He's not a deity...

Yeah... when 50% of this one and a half billion come out and condem what is happening around the world then I'd agree with you... they don't because they agree with it and think it is good, or they are too scared of what other practioners of this religion of peace would do to them if they did.

When 50% of this one and a half billion come out and condem women being stoned to death because of sleeping with someone else then I would agree with you... I shant hold my breath...

... and dude, we have noticed it, just read the news, look at all the muslim countries are endorsing attacks on americans, these countries together make up a sizable proportion of this 1.5 billion. I never saw many muslims condeming teh burning of the us flag... yet at the same time they are moaning that the koran gets burned, or that this film gets made. Show me where the tibetian sucicde bomers are, go on where are they?

1. Graham Marsden

If you'd try doing a bit more research and looking beyond the headlines you might find the answers you demand I present you (but do you *really* want to find them...?)

In any case, it's clear there's no point in carrying on trying to have a reasonable discussion with you on this, so feel free to declare victory and keep on enjoying your prejudices.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Re: Graham Marsden

> If you'd try doing a bit more research and looking beyond the headlines

I have done the research. I've read the Koran and I've read parts of a translation of Sahih al-Bukhari. I've also read several books about Islam, both those that criticise and those that praise it.

The more a read about Islam the more I realise that Islam is many things, but, without a doubt, the one thing it is not, is a religion of peace.

2. Cucumber C Face
                    Alert

Re: Show me where the tibetian suicide bombers are

I can't - but don't stand too close to them when they set themselves on fire

https://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tibet+self+immolation

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                      Stop

Re: Show me where the tibetian suicide bombers are

"I can't - but don't stand too close to them when they set themselves on fire...." Self-immolation, i.e. burning ONLY yourself to death, is a far different activity to deliberately murdering as many (Jewish) civillians as you can with a bomb in a pizza resteraunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sbarro_restaurant_suicide_bombing), or as many (muslim) civillians as possible with a truckbomb in a market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_February_2007_Baghdad_market_bombing), or thousands od American civillians of many different religions with aircraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11).

3. Psyx
                    Flame

"they don't because they agree with it and think it is good"

So: You're speaking for 1.5 Billion people?

Let me ask you this: Last time a Christian extremist group did something horrific, did you come out and condemn what was happening? Stand in a street and protest, did you?

No: I didn't think so. So don't judge 1.5 Billion people for not doing the same thing that you didn't do.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Actually yes I did... maybe you should wait for my answer before assuming it, or did allah tell you what I do? I go on demos and protests all the time.

Show me where I said I spoke for 1.5 billion?

Idiot.

1. Psyx
                        Facepalm

"Show me where I said I spoke for 1.5 billion?"

Because you're judging an entire religion based on extremists.

"did allah tell you what I do? I go on demos and protests all the time."

Rofl. I don't agree with you, so you assume I'm a Muslim? I might as well assume that you protest in 16 hole Doc. Martins, by your chain of 'logic'.

You're the idiot, anonymous Coward.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                      FAIL

Re: Re: @AC He's not a deity...

"..... Last time a Christian extremist group did something horrific, did you come out and condemn what was happening?...." Nope, but I'm an aethiest, so instead I just muttered to others about what nutters them religious lot are. By the way, I'm struggling to remember the last time a Christian mob got upset by a film and broke into an embassy and killed four people, would you care to provide an example? Didn't think so.

In fact, even looking back at such examples as "The Last Temptation of Christ", all I can find is a firebombing of a cinema in France which injured thirteen people. And no Western politician stood up and said "well, they were provoked, none of it is their fault".

2. badmonkey

>>> "If the "majority" (defined as > 50%) of Muslims behaved the way you claim, I think we'd have noticed it a bit by now."

Haven't you noticed? Some of us have.

2. Psyx
                FAIL

"Last week a woman got dragged by her hair down the street in berlin becuase she wanted to see a boy, and on saturday a muslim was wondering around with a butchers knife looking for his girlfriend because his girlfriend looked at another man."

Last week a Christian tried to mug me. And the week before that I saw a couple of Christians kicking the shit out of a drunk guy for a laugh. And don't tell me that Christians don't beat/maim/kill their wife for no good reason, either. I've had an angry boyfriend looking for me with a knife because his girlfriend bought me a drink, too.

If you think that it's someone's religion that makes them a wanker, you're mistaken. And if you think that someone being a brutal fuck-head means they are a good representation of the doctrine of their religion, you're also mistaken.

1. magnetik
                  FAIL

"Last week a Christian tried to mug me. And the week before that I saw a couple of Christians kicking the shit out of a drunk guy for a laugh."

And you knew they were Christians because, what, you went up to them and said "S'cuse me, I notice you kicking the shit out of that guy, could I just ask what religion you practice before I walk away?"

And I guess you asked your would-be mugger too, or was he wearing a beanie with a fish symbol on it?

1. Psyx
                    FAIL

"And I guess you asked your would-be mugger too, or was he wearing a beanie with a fish symbol on it?"

No; it was the St. Christopher around his neck.

double-fail for you, matey.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
                  FAIL

"....Last week a Christian tried to mug me...." Yeah, and you knew he was a Christian because he tried to beat you with a bible maybe? Or was it just 'cos he was white and you made the automatic assumption he was a Christian? Get a clue - he could have been an aethiest, a Scientologist, or even a muslim.

"....And the week before that I saw a couple of Christians kicking the shit out of a drunk guy for a laugh...." You're sounding very implausible there, did they stand there shouting "and take that from Christianity" at their victim? Were they dressed up as vicars? Don't tell me the finished their beating and then wandered over to calmly tell you their faith. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

3. Tom 13

Re: Last week...

Last time I checked, there wasn't a single Christian Pastor/Minister/Bishop etc. who would publicly proclaim a Christian had a RELIGIOUS right to do those things. In fact, they'd pretty much tell the heathen he was going straight to Hell if he didn't repent.

4. LarsG

Yes but religion helps them to focus their anger.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Can you not get it through your heads that a few fanatics are *NOT* representative of the whole religion of Islam any more than the idiots who made this film are representative of Christianity?

I have a Muslim family living next to me and I've not had problems with them diving over the wall wearing a Semtex waist coat and yelling "Allahu Akbar!" it's usually just their kids saying "can we get our ball back"...

So you are basing your opinion of all Muslims based on a single family that lives next door to you?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like