back to article Office to propel Windows tablets past Android in 2015

Taiwan-based analyst TrendForce says Windows-based tablets will overtake Android's market share by 2015, thanks to the presence of Microsoft Office on the devices. The prediction can be found in a report titled 2010-2015 Market Shares of Tablet PC Operating Systems by analyst Eric Chiou from TrendForce. The prediction has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Office to propel Windows tablets past Android in 2015

I believe this is will come to pass. Also, pink & fuzzy nose goblins will rain gum drops from the heavens while riding their rainbow chariots, sometime in August of that year.

1. Shagbag

Another 'prediction'

I love predictions from analysts. They're always accruate and worth reading.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: Another 'prediction'

Seems about the right percentage for Windows RT which is a cutdown / consumer type product.. However what about the 20-30% of the market that Windows 8 full version will undoubtedly take on tablets?

2. Chika
        Happy

Re: Another 'prediction'

Text and sarcasm. Ya gotta luvvit!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Office to propel Windows tablets past Android in 2015

This is of course supposing that Android and iOS stand still and do not develop tablets any further.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"This is of course supposing that Android and iOS stand still and do not develop tablets any further."

And similarly it is assuming that the "product called Office" that Microsoft eventually ship for WinRT *is* actually more like "real Office" than the various compatible products. Since you presumably only want to "consume" (gag, retch...) Office "content" (puke, splutter) rather than "author" (vom, barf...) it, I imagine that almost any recent port of OpenOffice meets the requirements and I note that MS aren't promising to deliver *any* offering of their own this year.

So, erm, yeah, 2015 is the earliest conceivable date by which MS might actually start to get traction. Good luck with that "competition stands still" theory, Mr Ballmer. Perhaps it is related to your "land-grab" theory that presumes there *isn't* any competition.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Presumably the chariots are pulled by unicorns. Otherwise there's no way that could happen in August.

1. Chika
        WTF?

"Presumably the chariots are pulled by unicorns."

Twilight Sparkle might but Rarity would probably start whining.

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Whats weird, is this "expert" from a company nobody has heard of, and can't possibly be on Microsoft's payroll, fails to take into account two crucial factors.

1/ There are already many very decent full Office apps on Android, that work on both phones and tablets, that read/write Office native formats, and can sync docs with the cloud. "OfficeSuite Pro 6" is my favorite, it's less than a tenner, and appears frequently in promotions (I picked up my copy for £2.20)... There are plenty of others too.

2/ Google recently acquired QuickOffice developer that makes Quickoffice Android suite. You can bet money the moment Microsoft try to sell their overpriced office suite for their failed WindowsRT/Windows Mobile platform, Google will offer this puppy up for free....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Barry... Anyone who knows anything has heard of TrendForce, they're a big player.

2. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Possibly - but Google's current 'Docs' product can't even display most Office documents properly. Not an option for anyone that relies on Office.

3. Synthmeister

You forgot one thing though--Android tablets sales are flat as a pancake. Windows tablets surpassing Android tablets would be a complete non-event.

"Schmidt publicly admitted that Google was “late to tablets.” He also revealed that only 70,000 of the 1.3 million Android activations each day are for tablets." i.e only 5% of Android activations are tablets.

Remember the only successful "Android" tablets have forked Google out of their own ecosystem--Kindle and Nook, they don't count as Android activations.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark C Casey

Hold on, you say Android tablets sales are flat.. then you say successful android tablets and mention the kindle and nook...

Contradict much?

Oh, you forgot the Nexus 7 which has been selling ridiculously well.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While you can doubt this will happen by personal users, business is another market entirely and the prediction is highly likely in the business market. They need compatibility with existing systems. Such businesses won't have invested in Android tablets as they're not business focussed.

Tablet technology is mature now plus both Office and Windows have proper touch screen interfaces.

6. jnffarrell1
      Happy

MS Office Apps will be everywhere in 2013 with or without the Windows system software.

2. Christian Berger

You do realize...

That on Maemo you could obviously run any "office software" you want. For example there was a port of OpenOffice on it.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33228

I personally don't see what use office software could be, but it's there if you want it.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: You do realize...

"That on Maemo you could obviously run any "office software" you want...." Actually, what the question should be about is what do users actually want to do on their tablets? Full Office compatibility was supposed to make Win Mobile (using Pocket Office) a "sure thing" back in the day, but it didn't happen mainly because users were more interested in the secure push email capabilities of Blackberry than the ability to edit Office docs on a tiny phone screen. Blackberry had that ability anyway, and it didn't stop the Office-less iPhone becoming the top consumer device (although BBs still rule as business phones).

It seems to me that tablets, like smartphones, are still primarily media consumption devices rather than devices used for producing media or documents. I don't think having Office will help that much in the comsumer space, and business users are more likely to want a full-powered laptop with a KEYBOARD as the old keyboard is still the best input device for the majority of users. There has been the ability to dictate to Windows PCs or use handwriting recognition software for stylus-driven input (remember the Apple Newton?) for years, but today 99.99999% of business docs and media still get created on desktops or laptops with a keyboard and mouse. Companies like hp tried tablets with detachable keyboards (the TC1100 was brilliant) with full Office, and consumers went gaga for netbooks, but businesses carried on buying full-size laptops and desktops.

So, no, I don't think Office will help tablets penetrate the business segment. Lighter notebooks with Atom CPUs and keyboards that can detach or swivel around to let the user use the screen as a touchscreen may do better with full Office, but not enough to push sales past consumer Android tablet numbers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Excel macros? VBA? Access databases?

These are in common use for simple analysis and data storage in offices.

People want their documents to look the same on every office package. Some of these documents have to be produced for customer projects, they can't send off a document produced in something other than Word to a customer using Word and have it looking like crap. They would raise a lot of problems or comments against it, costing time and money.

1. fixit_f
        Thumb Up

Agree completely. In the corporate world Microsoft still have so much lock in, and will do until open document formats are more widely used. Let's face it, the average sales tw@t is unlikely to use VBA, and hopefully that will drop off the face of the planet soon where it belongs - but they will want word docs and powerpoints. Other products are fine for CONSUMING word/excel/whatever but can't be trusted yet to PRODUCE them. Even as a completely platform agnostic user, I wouldn't dream of making changes to something like my CV in a product such as open office and sending it anywhere without having first reviewed it in Microsoft Office on a Windows machine. Sad, stupid, shouldn't be this way but that's how things stand I'm afraid - you can't rely on "office emulators" to produce you a document that you'd trust to appear correctly formatted when opened in MS Office.

1. Richard Plinston

> my CV ... and sending it anywhere

I never understood the desire to send .docs somewhere where they will merely read it. Is it so that they can change the contents ? Or perhaps so that they can read what the amendments removed ? Or the comments that have been made by others.

Output a PDF and send that, then you are guaranteed that there is no hidden stuff and the visuals will not change.

1. fixit_f

@Richard Re: You do realize...

It's normally the recruitment people that insist on Word format - otherwise I'd cheerfully send as PDF. I've tried it before and they've made me re-send it as a .Doc.

It's the world of lock in and stupid corporates with arcane, proprietary systems. Common sense means nothing here.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Things like the Asus Transformer Prime can replace a netbook/laptop. Modern tablets have a high resolution screen (like an ultrabook), the battery life of a Netbook (15 hours in the Primes case), exchange/IMAP/POP3 support through applications you can support every available file format and turns on instantly (well from standby).

The only thing missing is a well developed office suite (Polaris Office and Quick Office are ok), sure you can't install visual studio or Matlab on them. But in all other respects I would have killed for something like that during university (instead I made do with an XDA Mini S & a bluetooth keyboard).

I'm hoping Libre Office and Eclipse can be ported to Android, it would be the final push for me to get a Transformer.

1. Mike Judge
        Thumb Up

http://androidcommunity.com/libreoffice-team-working-on-a-free-android-version-20111014/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If anybody finds a plot...

It belongs to Microsoft. Yeah Office is what everyone has been waiting for, the tablet is obviously ideal for all that text and numeric entry.

I'm off right now to patent little home key bumps on the LCD over the virtual keyboard, I'll make a fortune from all the office workers needing displays with MY invention.

1. Franklin

Re: If anybody finds a plot...

Microsoft's Surface tablets, at least, includes keyboards....at least partially overcoming the concerns about using a touch screen for office work. I have a BlueTooth keyboard for my iPad, and have found it a passable solution for things like light word processing. Obviously, if I'm doing anything at all complex, I'm doing it on a real computer, but having a small keyboard on a tablet does make it at least marginally useful for office apps.

4. P_0

Why the hell would anyone find using Office appealing on a touch screen? There are already a zillion apps for writing notes, memos, short novellas or whatever.

But how the hell am I going to write VBA Excel scripts? How am I going to click the correct cell with my big fingers? Writing mildly complex sums and math functions, calculating totals and subtotals etc, would be migraine inducing.

Just buy a netbook people! My two year old Atom Windows 7 netbook seems far more useful than an iPad or Surface. And I can even install Eclipse or Visual Studio on it and then the skies the limit.

I'm still waiting for the day that I can actually do real work on a tablet. On that day I will buy a tablet, be it iPad, Surface or an Android device. I'm tired of Angry Birds, I'm tired of Photo decorating apps, I just want to do some work.

1. Mark .

Well, I love my Samsung netbook too, but remember that many of the Windows tablets, including the Surface, will have keyboards, and are really hybrids (indeed, the whole debate of "PC vs tablet" will be a bit moot, and all these predictions about market share are meaningless without clearly defined categories).

I've been disappointed at the way that netbooks seem to have stagnated, so I'm hopeful that things will improve - even though I'm not so fussed about a pure tablet (I already have a smartphone for that), I think a hybrid device will be great as an upgrade from my current netbook - still having a keyboard, but even more portable, and with the next generation of Atom (which will have the GPU integrated onto the CPU). The advantages that are being made for tablets (such as improving battery life, or still being able to poll the network whilst asleep) will be beneficial for those of us who like keyboards too. A touchscreen is a useful addition, to complement the keyboard and touchpad. And maybe we'll also at last see netbooks with more than 1GB RAM and 1024x600 :) (As well as perhaps a return to using fast SSDs.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Probably wrong...

The tablet sector is moving so fast, there's no knowing what will happen by 2015!

Already, there's plenty of small businesses, especially digital companies, that get along just fine without microsoft office. A combination of Libre Office and Google Docs is more than sufficient.

The latter is the key component for Android - and for any other device - and by the time we get around to 2015, you can be certain Google & Apple will not have been sitting still.

I feel certain that large companies will also make the move away from microsoft office.

Already, many of them have shifted their email systems to Google and more will follow suit.

Android will diversify even further. You'll be seeing more and more tablets specifically designed for the sector they operate within, whether that be a Nurse doing ward rounds or an Engineer on site. Both require a niche, custom tablet device and this is exactly where Android fits so well.

Apple will continue to dominate the consumer entertainment market.

Microsoft will continue to dominate the desktop market but I highly doubt they'll overtake Android any time soon in the mobile space!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Probably wrong...

Just need to reword my assumption I feel certain that large companies will also make the move away from microsoft office" ...

Add a 'some' or 'many' into that statement. Clearly microsoft office is a powerhouse that's unmatched when you use it's full feature set. Couple that with the fact that it's been a standard for decades and, sure, it's going to continue to be the biggest player in it's market.

However...

Many companies use a tiny fraction of the functionality that office offers and it could *easily* be replaced by Google Docs or a similar service.

What of Microsofts answer to Google Docs. Well, that's an interesting one. Back in 2007, there were announcements made about 'Office Live' - in 2011, it was 'Office 365'

So, 'Office 365' is up and running - as a paid for service.

It's taken Microsoft 5 years to get to this point - a glacial speed. In the interim, Google Docs has gone from strength to strength and has made inroads into businesses in a significant way.

Hmm, lets see, on a tablet device - casual viewing and reviews of documents - paid for service or free service? - bit of a no-brainer really.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: Probably wrong...

It might have taken Microsoft 5 years - but they have a much better product than Google Docs - and it offers seemless transition to and from other cloud hosted Office SaaS providers or to and from on premises deployments with a single management console.

Google is the poor man's option. Not that it actually costs any less when you look at the full TCO.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

some sense

The office hook might work for some, in the sense of a largish format tablet that can be used with an external keyboard at a desk for the data input and then for taking to meeting and minor touchups.

Or it might be that people think ooh, Office! without going into the werewithall of how they are actually going to use it.

1. ShaggyDog
      Meh

Re: some sense

MS Office on tablets is interesting to companies as it (when coupled with cloud storage) will allow light work (reviewing documents, minor updates, planning) when "on the go". The way it'll work is, keep your docs on the cloud, work on a "proper" PC at work (MS lockin) then continue working on your way to meetings or way home.

Quite compelling for big corps, I'm sure.

I can't see tablets replacing the need for real PC's anytime soon.

7. tirk
    Coat

WitsView?

Well, they're half way there...

8. Tank boy
    Linux

Wishful thinking.

I wonder if they were paid for the "results" of this study by Microsoft? They're way too behind in the game to make a dent, and let's face it, unless it's usable by business, no one will want any tablet just because it has Office.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark .

Re: Wishful thinking.

If this really was biased towards MS, one would wonder why they would be keen to paint Apple in such a positive light, and suggest that MS is only capable of taking market share from Android. If I was going to make up a pro-MS prediction, surely you'd show (a) a further decline for Apple, and (b) with MS taking share from both platforms.

9. Ralph B
    IT Angle

The Chart is Correct

The chart is correct, but I think they might have got the colours for "Windows" and "Others" mixed up.

10. Arctic fox
    Flame

A small correction.......

......................"The prediction has been issued by WitlessView".

Regardless of the nature of the prediction or whom it seems to benefit this sort of analysis is worthless - it is indeed worse than guesswork.

11. mark l 2 Silver badge

Yes because the only reason stopping all those people buying iPads is the lack of MS office software?

Tablets are good for entertainment and education but not much cop for office use, and with Windows RT having a crippled office version without outlook and the inability to connect to a domain they are not going to be any use for business anyway.

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Well I havnt bought a tablet becuase im waiting for one with Office on, and i'm sure there are plenty like me...

1. TheOtherHobbes

Looks like

spellcheck is the killer app for you, eh?

2. mikebartnz

@RIGHTO

Quote "Well I havnt bought a tablet becuase im waiting for one with Office on, and i'm sure there are plenty like me..."

Going by your posts here I am glad there aren't.

While the 86 tablet might have a show I just can't see the RT one going anywhere.

I still can't see MS doing so well by 2015 as they are too late to the game and people no longer feel that MS is the only show in town.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're talking as if companies have a choice?

You really think everyone will stop using Windows and move to OSX or Linux?

1. Chika
        Facepalm

"You really think everyone will stop using Windows and move to OSX or Linux?"

You really think that all companies will scrap their desktops, keyboards and mice and kit everyone out with tablets? There are too many variables in the argument and anyone that takes this report seriously needs to top up their salt reserves, whether this company is acting as a M$ shill or not. The only way we will know for certain is to wait three years and look.

This report is probably one of many that we shall see before then and each one will have its own agenda.

1. Mark .

"You really think that all companies will scrap their desktops, keyboards and mice and kit everyone out with tablets?"

Presumably the idea is to replace laptops. And since many if not most the x86 tablets are actually laptop hybrids with touchscreens, this argument seems to work in their favour - and work against Apple, who *do* want people to scrap their desktops, keyboards and mice (unless it's an Apple PC. For some reason their own argument doesn't apply to them).

And as I say above, I hardly think this is a pro-MS piece, even if it isn't favourable to Android. If anything, it's a pro-Apple piece - "Look how we'll be untouched by Windows and maintain our lead, the decline we've had isn't going to continue at all, honest! Only Android is going to suffer!"

1. Richard Plinston

> "You really think that all companies will scrap their desktops, keyboards and mice and kit everyone out with tablets?"

Microsoft seem to have an aim that everyone will have _all_ devices: Windows desktop, Windows tablet, Windows phone, Windows TV, Windows car, Windows alarm clock; and have them all interacting through Live or whatever other services they can charge for.

The last thing they want is to replace the desktop with tablet. They want licence fees from both and much else besides.

> Presumably the idea is to replace laptops.

The problem that I see is that most, if not all, Windows software relies on mouse and keyboard: keyboard shortcuts, mouse-overs, fine pixel level interactions. Surface has keyboard and touchpad for exactly that reason. Surface is just a small laptop with a floppy connection so that it won't work on a lap.

2. RICHTO
          Mushroom

Once WIndows tablets are out - that run a secure OS - and be managed without a farm of additional crap - yes that is exactly what they will do. Buy loads of Windows tablets.

1. Steve Knox

Now I know you're taking the piss

I figured from the incessant use of an inappropriate icon, but this clinches it:

"Windows tablets...run a secure OS...managed without a farm of additional crap"

Nobody in their right mind could honestly type that statement.

3. Mark .

Just pointing out - there will be x86 tablets (and hybrids) with the full Windows 8. Windows RT seems to be more aimed at consumers, with x86 tablets/hybrids targetted at businesses (which also ties into the greater need for keyboards, as others have pointed out are useful).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like