back to article Coding may not make national curriculum

Software development may not be taught in Australia's high schools, as it is not a core part of the nation's new national “Technologies” curriculum. The national curriculum is a new project, founded in 2009, aimed at developing a national curriculum for all schools from kindergarten to year 12. The project is run by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. david 12 Silver badge

High level communication skills

I can decode that dense paragraph, but I can't scan it. Here is what online-utility.org had to say about it:

Gunning Fog index : 23.71

Coleman Liau index : 22.35

Flesch Kincaid Grade level : 20.24

ARI (Automated Readability Index) : 21.17

SMOG : 19.97

Those numbers translate into something like years of education. That is, you need PhD level education to understand the curriculum document. Or, to put it another way, the people developing the curriculum can't teach.

2. Bernd Felsche
    Facepalm

http://www.blablameter.com says:

Your text: 875 characters, 111 words

Bullshit Index :1.03

Congratulations, you managed to blow up our index scale from 0 to 1. It is highly unlikely that you will impress anybody else, but you did manage to impress us!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSW does have a Software Dev course at present - I studied it. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/software-design-development.html

I had to do it via distance-ed though since it wasn't offered at any of the dozen nearby schools due to a lack of numbers.

I don't see how this new curriculum would have changed anything? From what I understand, all the material is repeated in 1st year uni courses anyway, so it will hardly make better programmers. Anyone with any ability in the subject matter will spend more time at home doing 'self-directed' study than they'll ever spend in school.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like