back to article Now Apple wants Samsung S III, Galaxy Notes off the shelves too

Apple has now claimed Samsung's flagship gadgets the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note infringe its mobile phone patents in a SECOND lawsuit in the US. In separate legal action running in parallel to the epic trial that concluded last month, the iPhone maker has now listed 21 Sammy phones and tablets as devices that allegedly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Oh my here we go.

Cook sending in the troops to take Sammygrad once and for all?

This will go well.

1. Shagbag

Re: Oh my here we go.

Agreed.

Is there no end to Apple's quest for self-destruction? Despite their 'win', the feedback from the Apple v Samsung case has been negative towards them with many (finally) waking up to the realisation that patents in the software industry retard innovation.

This latest attempt will come back to haunt them.

2. henrydddd
      Linux

This isn't only an attempt to get rid of Samsung, it is an attempt get rid of Android and all competition to Apple products.

1. samlebon23

You are right. Remember what Rockefeller said "Competition is a sin".

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge
        FAIL

And look how well the same thing worked when they tried it with the original Mac. Sure, they protected the idea of resizeable windows ... for a bit.

3. Robredz
        Linux

Looks like that is the end game desire in the impregnable Cupertino Bunker, what next Tractor Beams to draw Sammy phones from pockets to be zapped by a hidden laser in an adjacent I-Phone?

3. J. R. Hartley

Can I just take this chance to say I really, really, really, really despise Apple and can't wait until karma hits them hard. Complete assholes!!

2. taxman
    Stop

And while we're at it

we also want the Galaxy SIV taken off the selves too. Whaddayamean too early?!!

1. Havin_it
      Coat

Re: And while we're at it

I don't think the case against the SIV will hold water...

1. Rabbit80
        Thumb Up

Agreed. Theres too many holes in it.

2. taxman

Boom - tish. I thank you! Another upvote.

3. Spider
    Unhappy

Shocker

Apple demand anything not made by Apple be banned, burnt and buried at a crossroads as unholy.

...give it a feckin rest ffs.

1. Riccardo Spagni
      Meh

Re: Shocker

Whilst I don't agree with the approach Apple are taking, there are sound legal reasons for what is happening. Their initial filing excluded certain devices that were unreleased or unconfirmed at the time of initial filing. Now that they have the judgement, they have requested additional devices based on that judgement and based on which specific patents Samsung have infringed upon. In their latest filing they specify which patents these additional devices infringe on. From a legal perspective, it's hard to make a case against this new filing, as if we agree with the jury's finding, Samsung have indeed continued to infringe on their patents.

Again, not saying I agree with Apple's approach, but bear in mind that legally speaking this is a perfectly sound and logical path.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Being legally sound does not mean "right" or "just". Laws can be changed. It is not logical to equate legally correct with ethically and morally correct. The Galaxy Note for example integrates use of a stylus into the user interface, and not a big fingertip sized stylus, enhancing the user experience and functionality of the device.

Boycot any company that behaves in the manner that Apple is behaving.

2. Spider
        Unhappy

Whilst I manage to grasp the fundamentals of "a hoard of lawyers can persuade a jury that it has broken some highly technical law", and I actually agree with the basis of IP, (otherwise why innovate? blah blah..), and truth be told I'm not pro or anti apple on the whole, this is just taking the p1ss now.

The law was never made to deal with these highly pedantic issues. It needs changing and fast. Whilst it may be legal etc so was a whole host of very wrong legislation which was eventually and thankfully consigned to the recycle bin of history. Sooner this joins them the better...

3. cmaurand
        Linux

I'm not so sure that the original verdict in the case will stand. One of the issues that was won was that of touching an icon and having the phone do something. There's so much prior art for that, that I don't think it can stand. Even if the judge doesn't overturn some of the verdict for the jury not following instructions, the appeals court will probably overturn it. This isn't over by a long shot and I don't think that any kind of injunction will stand. I own a Galaxy SIII and the way it operates is much different than an iPhone. I wonder what would happen to the iPhone if Samsung suddenly cut off it's supply of chips.

4. TAJW
        FAIL

Yes...their initial filing did exclude certain devices that were unreleased or unconfirmed at the time of initial filing.

So...I'm filiing a patent for design, innovation, look and feel and user interface for hover cars of all types. Anything that might be invented, thought of, contemplated, dreamed about, had a passing thought of, or anything is soley my property, and no one else can even go there.

I own it...all of it. Now and forever. Just like Apple.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple must be a member of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

4. Miek
    Linux

Can't compete? Try using the Ban-Hammer.

1. tirk
      Mushroom

Equally...

"Can't compete? Try copying the market-leading product."

What do you mean, there are laws against that?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Equally...

@tirk

Glad to see you are taking Samsung's side too.

2. Arctic fox
        Thumb Down

@tirk RE:".......there are laws against that?"

I had intended to post something to the following effect. "Anybody actually going to post defending Cupertino's attempt to ban the GSIII and the note?". In my naivety I could not believe that anyone, not even the the most borderline psychopathic enthusiastic Apple fanboi could bring themselves to defend the latest developments with the attempt to ban those devices. Then bugger me, I read your post. It just goes to show.

1. tirk
          WTF?

Re: @tirk RE:".......there are laws against that?"

By no means an Apple fanboi (thanks for the insult), just pointing out that Samsung *also* did something wrong. Nice to see all those knees jerking whenever Apple is mentioned!

1. Miek
            Coat

@tirk

" just pointing out that Samsung *also* did something wrong. Nice to see all those knees jerking whenever Apple is mentioned!" -- Ahem, the S2, for example is a vastly superior phone as compared with the iPhones it resembles. In my eyes, even if Samsung Copied "A round cornered rectangle, with it's face comprised or mainly a screen and some token buttons", they did a bloody good job of it.

Aside from that, I have a Nokia N810 that looks uncannily similar to an iPhone 4 (except for the slide out keyboard) yet it predates the iPhone 4. Pots, Kettles, Coat, Door.

2. David Simpson 1
            FAIL

They only did it wrong in America so far - Apple lost in the UK, Japan, Germany and Australia.

2. Fatman
          WTF?

Re: most borderline psychopathic enthusiastic Apple fanboi

Why did you change that??

You had it right the first time

"most borderline psychopathic enthusiastic Apple fanboi"

3. Mark .

Since the Iphone platform has never been the number one platform (it was Symbian, then Android), I guess you must be accusing Apple of copying the leading platforms here.

1. tirk
          WTF?

"Since the Iphone platform has never been the number one platform..."

Indeed, that's why I didn't write "platform".

1. Mark .

Re: "Since the Iphone platform has never been the number one platform..."

So what did you mean? The Iphone is a platform, not a single product (and comparing single products is a poor measure, as it just depends on how companies choose to categorise their devices - if one company sells 101 of a product, and another company sells 200, but split between two similar devices they label differently, only an idiot would suggest the former is leading; although it's interesting to note that even by individual models, the S3 alone is now outselling the Iphone 4S in many markets, despite it being only one of many Samsung phones, and many Android phones, compared to Apple's single phone).

Perhaps you mean that Apple lead, but sorry, that was Nokia, and now Samsung. Please try again.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Damn right that ridiculously huge device should be banned not for lightly immitating an Apple device, but for potentially giving people potential long term injuries to their hand in the long-term. Especially when attempting to use it with one hand. Actually, all 4"+ devices that are wider than current 3.5" equivalents in terms of ratio should banned.

Anon because I know they'll be a wave of fandroids lighting up to red on just on their furied cheeks, but planting the anti-Apple button.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Potential long term injuries to their hand in the long-term"? You know what we hate? Redundant tautology! Oh, and rhetorical questions.

Also, while you're raging incoherently about "a wave of fandroids lighting up to red on just on their furied cheeks, but planting the anti-Apple button*", does a Galaxy S3 really hurt you to hold? You must have very small hands. My female colleague (who is about five foot nowt and rather dainty) has no problem with the ergonomics of hers. Are you, perhaps, compensating for something?

The only device that makes my hands ache a bit is my iPad, when I play crazy racing games on it for ages- but that's my old silly fault (and it is a large device, built like a fricken' tank).

* This was probably fine soaring demagoguery in your own mind before you typed it, but it merely makes it sound like you forgot to take your pills today.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@AC 15:56

"Also, while you're raging incoherently about "a wave of fandroids lighting up to red on just on their furied cheeks, but planting the anti-Apple button*", does a Galaxy S3 really hurt you to hold? You must have very small hands. My female colleague (who is about five foot nowt and rather dainty) has no problem with the ergonomics of hers. Are you, perhaps, compensating for something?" -

It's a pain in the friggin' ass to hold when looking at them in the shops. Same as any phone of the same size or larger. Not just that, I know when trying one personally, it's difficult to hold it and navigate the touch screen at the same time without needing the second hand as a counter-balance. It's a phone, not a computer.

"The only device that makes my hands ache a bit is my iPad, when I play crazy racing games on it for ages- but that's my old silly fault (and it is a large device, built like a fricken' tank)." -

Fine if must have weak hands and you must be holding it wrong :).

"* This was probably fine soaring demagoguery in your own mind before you typed it, but it merely makes it sound like you forgot to take your pills today." -

I did mean the "red downvote anti-apple" button. Anyway, have fun later in life when you're complaining of acute arthritis/rsi later in life.

2. samlebon23
          Facepalm

" Actually, all 4"+ devices that are wider than current 3.5" equivalents in terms of ratio should banned"

You mean all the tablets should be banned? Look at tablets, they look like huge phones, by your definition they should be banned. Tell you what, you can injure yourself just by lying down on the couch and watching TV. OK, we ban those goddamn TVs. What about blender, toasters, cars... I stop here because I broke my keyboard after I felt a terrible pain in my fingers.

5. Peter 48
        Trollface

""Can't compete? Try copying the market-leading product."" - exactly, that is why apple is copying the 8.9" galaxy tab, adding a larger screen to their next phone and adding numerous Android features to its next devices.

2. Colin Millar
      Megaphone

You are kidding right? Or maybe you meant to use the joke icon?

Apple? - can't compete?

Their stuff may be overpriced shite but competing is one thing they don't actually have a problem with doing well.

Oh - and some baccy tin companies want their rounded edges back - innovative design my arse.

1. NPCO543

Re: You are kidding right? Or maybe you meant to use the joke icon?

Actually, if you really think about it, despite how it may appear at first glance, Apple doesn't compete or innovate very well.

They typically enter already established markets after sitting on the sidelines for many years observing what works and what doesn't. Their products, while very well designed, integrated and user friendly, are usually rather light on features and capabilities, and they are typically slow to add new features. Consider:

-The first iPhone didn't ship with an App Store and, as such, it was terribly limited in it's functionality.

-The iOS notification center is a complete copy of what was available on Android since it's inception.

-iOS lacked multitasking until version 4

-iOS still doesn't support any home screen widgets.

-Even the current iPhone doesn't offer many features common on many other smartphones - 4G, NFC, removable storage.

These aren't signs of a company who competes very well. What Apple DOES do well is marketing. They have the ability to create intense, almost blind desire for their products, regardless of the comparative capabilities of those products.

Apple very much has a problem competing, and that's precisely why they've resorted to litigation to stall competition. Apple enters markets with an initial "Bang", and then rests on it's laurels for as long as possible, repackaging the same basic device in new shells over and over, adding the bare minimum of improvements to not make it blatantly obvious that they're behind the curve. Whether this is because they want to do individual products "right" and not just release numerous, lower quality products is more or less irrelevant. The fact is that other companies bring more, and more advanced, products to market with an acceptable quality and better price than Apple can, or is willing, to do.

1. the-it-slayer

@NPCO543

"- The first iPhone didn't ship with an App Store and, as such, it was terribly limited in it's functionality." - It was sold as an experimental product. The App Store wasn't needed until there was a realisation of developers wanting to jump onboard. Very smart move than actually contained the iPhone to working as a proper phone first (unlike Android's knee-jerk reaction).

"- The iOS notification center is a complete copy of what was available on Android since it's inception." - Nope. The first notification centre from Android (on what I experienced with the first public version on the G1) was just a list of apps that had something to say. Didn't offer any snippits of info and the only similarity was the drag-down from top action.

"- iOS lacked multitasking until version 4" - Okay, that was a major grumble until Apple realised that closing down apps on exit wasn't a good idea. No phone OS has native multitasking. At least they listened, learnt and applied it right.

"- iOS still doesn't support any home screen widgets." - Most pointless feature on mobile OSes. Takes up unneccessary resources, always made my Android phone crash (when on lower spec'd phones especially) and inbuilt apps should be able to do the work for you.

"- Even the current iPhone doesn't offer many features common on many other smartphones - 4G, NFC, removable storage." - 4G? Questionable really. Outside US is a mess as most countries are slow at adopting the standard. NFC? Still relatively new outside the Apple realm and most countries again slow to adopt. Removable storage? Why do you need it? Should be built into the phone in the first place.

Apple does well at marketing and making high quality products that last a long time. Hey, I'm pretty sure you've replaced your fandroid box every 6 months because the plastic shattered or it's too slow with the new OS upgrade. I'm sure you noticed plenty of 3G/3GS's knocking about. Proves a point.

1. Peter 48
            Stop

"It was sold as an experimental product." I have been saying this for ages, nobody expected phones without keyboards to do particularly well when it was released, and yet acording to Apple logic Samsung used their time machine so that they could travel forward in time to see that it would become popular and then travel back so that they could copy it with the F700?

I am pretty sure Windows Mobile 6.5 had true multitasking (infact it was a major headaches as devices kept on running low on memory as a result of too many programmes running).

"Removable storage? Why do you need it?" because it allows me to add 64GB of extra storage to my phone for a fraction of what the phone manufacturer would charge me for one? or the ability to remove the card which has all your photos, music, save files, backups etc when the phone dies on you maybe?

"Hey, I'm pretty sure you've replaced your fandroid box every 6 months because the plastic shattered or it's too slow with the new OS upgrade" I am pretty sure plastic will outlast glass in the shatter department everytime. Not that it matters since every iphone user has to stick their bit of shiny in a rubber/leather/ plastic case to protect it, essentially turning it into one of the bulkiest phones on the market.

"home screen widgets." - Most pointless feature on mobile OSes" you clearly haven't used it properly then. Having a summary of my next few appointments shown in the calendar widget is very useful as well as the current mp3 track playing in the music player widget. In fact MS based their whole design principle of Windows Phone OS on having instant visual information on the homescreen.

1. tony

""Removable storage? Why do you need it?" because it allows me to add 64GB of extra storage to my phone for a fraction of what the phone manufacturer would charge me for one? or the ability to remove the card which has all your photos, music, save files, backups etc when the phone dies on you maybe?"

Can't you just send it to a network resource via wi-fi?

1. Infernoz Bronze badge
                Facepalm

Do you realise just how long it takes to transfer Gigabytes of data?

It's bad enough on wired Gigabit Ethernet to a NAS!

It's even slower if there is more than one WiFi transfer in progress!

A micro-SD card can be inserted/removed in seconds, and often read/written much faster in a PC USB adapter than in many mobile devices. You can even carry several micro-SD cards, so no transfer at all is necessary!

All portable manufacturers overcharge for memory step ups, often 150% to 200%+ the price of a comparable micro-SD card.

1. tony

> Do you realise just how long it takes to transfer Gigabytes of data?

I can backup my s3 fairly quickly, quick enough that it "just works" to paraphrase somebody?

And probably quicker than I could get a memory card from the firesafe but i've not benchmarked it.

And even with the 200% markup you're not exactly talking thousands, Even the fruity one charges around £4 a gb (or £200 for 48gb).

I did the portable media thing a for several years, bored of it.

2. Stoneshop
                FAIL

Can't you just send it to a network resource via wi-fi?

Your phone has just died. Now what?

3. RiCHeeGee
                WTF?

Not if the device is already bricked or maybe you missed the point of the statement? The ability to have mulitple cards in the event that you have a large music/photo/video collection? Consumer choice and convenience? Though the latter points aren't particularly applicable to Apple...

Ultimately Apple win (sales) on the grounds that they sell on consumer ignorance and fashion, that's no different to most successful companies - shame on the ignorant consumer I suppose but the Reg isn't really a playing ground for the majority in that respect ;)

2. cmaurand
              Linux

The Palm Pre had multi-tasking and copy and paste (which iPhone/Pod/Pad didn't have as do all versions of Android.

2. Michael Habel
            FAIL

Memory should be built into the Phone in the first place...

What the heck is wrong in wanting to have access to more memory?

And BTW I love the Widgets on my Galaxy S1 thank you.

3. Chet Mannly

""- iOS still doesn't support any home screen widgets." - Most pointless feature on mobile OSes."

The most useful feature on a phone - you really wanna poke around individual apps just to see the weather, exchange rates, your calendar? Your productivity must be zero...

"- Even the current iPhone doesn't offer many features common on many other smartphones - 4G, NFC, removable storage." - 4G? Questionable really. Outside US is a mess as most countries are slow at adopting the standard."

Give it a rest - even Australia (where I'm from) has national 4G coverage. If 4G is such a mess then why release a 4G ipad fanboi???

"Removable storage? Why do you need it?"

So you don't have to pay Apple $250 for 64gb of memory, when a microsd costs $65?

"Hey, I'm pretty sure you've replaced your fandroid box every 6 months"

5 years using Android, on my second phone (the first died because it fell out the window of a moving car...).

Plus I notice stacks of iphones with cracked screens and shattered backs...

4. Steve Lee

@NPCO543

"- iOS lacked multitasking until version 4" - Okay, that was a major grumble until Apple realised that closing down apps on exit wasn't a good idea. No phone OS has native multitasking. "

You are talking nonsense. Symbian has full pre-emptive multitasking - is did its predecessor Psion's EPOC which was happily multitasking (and multi-threading) away in your palm back in 1987 when Apple had only just released primitive co-operative task switching on its desktop OS! Even then it was a kludge - multitasking wasn't fully implemented until System 8 in 1997!

5. Obvious Robert
            FAIL

@the-it-slayer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

6. cmaurand
            Linux

Palm Pre and the iOS tablet had NFC before anyone.

2. Colin Millar

Couldn't agree more with you about apple's methodology - they don't compete on features or innovation - but effective marketing of an inferior product - it may not be competition based on objective truth and knowledge as envisaged in classic economic models but these models haven't ever really applied in the real world. The "perfect knowledge" model is just an academic exercise to allow some neat graphs to be drawn.

It is however classic competition of the Bernays model which is where most competing has taken place from the second half of C20 onwards. People buy what they are told to buy and competition is all about telling them to buy your stuff more effectively than the other guy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like