back to article Apple 'offered Samsung $30-per-mobe' patent licence truce

Apple offered Samsung a patent licensing deal at $30 per smartphone after warning the South Koreans they were infringing its fruity designs, a court heard. One of the iToy maker's witnesses revealed the snubbed settlement in public on Friday when he mentioned it during the companies' patent trial. Samsung stands accused of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Delenda est Pupillam

satis dictum

1. g e

Re: Delenda est Pupillam

Quare Pupillam delenda est?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samesung delenda est

3. vagabondo
      Headmaster

Delenda est Pomum

1. fixit_f

Romanus eunt domus

1. mccp

Romani ite Domum.

Now write it out 100 times.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes!

2. eulampios

malum est malum, ergo delendum est

Malum est magnum malum.

Tim Cook should join Steve Jobs in hell, he's been so waited for there.

4. Aremmes
      Go

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

1. Philip Lewis
        Joke

Wow, that is profound :D

2. Z80
        Coat

I tried to learn Latin once but the online course I bought was almost useless.

Caveat emptor is all I can say.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Quod dicens Willis

2. Furbian
          Go

So did I, but I can manage a little more.

Ego circumspectat : I look around.

.. and of-course, abuse, which appears mandatory when learning a new language...

Tu est furcifer : You are a scoundrel.

Tu est canis : You are a dog.

5. bdam
      Headmaster

circum angulos fuisse circa ut diu ut latina

6. Crisp
      Coffee/keyboard

me debes novum keyboard

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
        Megaphone

Damn you all! I thought Chrome was randomly translating into Latin for some reason...

7. bolccg
      Headmaster

I went out with a classicist once - it went downhill when I asked her to conjugate and she declined....

That's not mine - Woody Allen, I believe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If I knew what the subjunctive and reflexive were, I would avail myself of both ;)

8. asdf
      Joke

To quote BigDumbGuy: LATIN IS FOR FAGS ANYWAY. WHY DO MONDAYS SMELL LIKE PEACH? APPLE IS ALSO A FRUIT AND THEIR PHONES SUCK JUST LIKE SAMSUNG. MY FINGER DOESN'T SMELL LIKE A PEACH!

2. paul 97
    Mushroom

trades

That seems an astonishingly high figure. How much are the cellular patents worth then? $200?

1. jaduncan

Re: trades

Apple logic:

UI patents == $30 a phone

Engineering patents == less than a dollar offered to Samsung by Apple.

Well, I guess you can tell that they value making it look pretty more than actual engineering and such.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the 3G patents cost a a very small amount to license, because they are FRAND, and the value of FRAND patents is determined by their value PRIOR to inclusion in the standard. Samsung, Moto, NOK etc all have a dog in the fight, owning FRAND patents that are part of 3G. They all pay each other something like 1 cent/device per patent. Small potatoes, except with "a billion or two" sold, it adds up.

Samsung actually asked for an extortionate amount from APPL, which APPL have refused to pay (rightly so IMHO), and court documents reveal that no other company is paying the Samsung extortion price. That being the case, APPL will not be required to pay it either. The dollar per device is probably the going rate, in any case it will come out in court I suspect.

Non-FRAND patents are different, the owner can charge whatever they like, or in fact simply refuse to license.

Dweeb

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          FAIL

> Samsung actually asked for an extortionate amount from APPL

Are you

1) Frankly retarded

2) Spinning the facts better than an aide to Tony Blair

3) Talking about some other thing than what this article is about

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

1: No (I have some independent verification of this)

2: Who is Tony Blair?

3: Do I really need to go reference the court filings to demonstrate this to you? Your 6th grade reading skills should be enough.

1. cocknee

So reputable in fact that you remain anonymous.

Certain odour of bovine excrement I do believe!

Tony Blair is a war-criminal, the same crimes as G.W. Bush ( therefore conspiracy to commit war crimes)

You are a bore

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

a boor, surely??

If you are going to insult me, please have the decency to at least spell your epithets correctly.

1. James O'Brien
                  FAIL

@AC Re: trades

Bore

Verb:

1.Make (a hole) in something, esp. with a revolving tool: "they bored holes in the sides"; "the drill can bore through rock".

2.Make (someone) feel weary and uninterested by tedious talk or dullness: "he'll bore you with all the details".

In this case I do believe he used the right spelling. Your starting to look like an ass with your hiding behind the mask and insults that make your out to not know language. You should take a minute and read number 2.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC trades

"make your out"

I saw what you did there! pip pip, excellent play.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

If you meant "bore" the correct usage would have been "you are boring".

You need a noun, not a verb in the form you used.

boor

noun:

1. a churlish, rude, or unmannerly person.

2. a country bumpkin; rustic; yokel.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

the correct usage would have been "you are boring". You need a noun ...

Don't be such a bore.

1. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

Do either of you actually know the difference between a verb and a noun?

2. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

Why is it that homonyms pose such a problem for the Register readership? It's a mystery ...

3. CmdrX3

I don't mean to be a bore but...

If you are going to correct people you really should try to ensure you use the correct spelling yourself.

As an example, it's "You're starting to look"

I'm not saying that he has used the word bore incorrectly as he hasn't but the incorrect use of you're drives me nuts.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't mean to be a bore but...

I think you meant to direct that comment to the other guy. You know, the one who doesn't know the difference between a verb and a noun, whose comment you quoted and who demonstrably couldn't spell.

By the way, I agree about the "Your", "You're" homonym problem. I did not mention it though I could've done so.

I originally "objected" to the fact that he spelled boor wrongly. While you apparently think he did use bore correctly, you would be wrong. bore != boor, verb != noun. Wrong usage or wrong word, wrong either way.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

The "illiteratati" are out in force today +5 and counting

3. Trokair 1
                  Mushroom

You are both retarded. Now get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Re: make me a sandwich.

you're willing to trust either of them with a knife?!?

You are brave!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anyone can do the engineering, that's pretty easy and the computer can do much of the layout work now. You can do tests for RF interference, crosstalk and other problems.

Visual design is a much trickier skill, if it was easy then Linux desktops would look amazing when they don't look as good as OSX or Windows.

Good fonts make a huge difference too and they cost a lot to design properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Anyone can do the engineering, that's pretty easy and the computer can do much of the layout work now. You can do tests for RF interference, crosstalk and other problems.

Visual design is a much trickier skill, if it was easy then Linux desktops would look amazing when they don't look as good as OSX or Windows.

Good fonts make a huge difference too and they cost a lot to design properly."

I'm a graphic designer and I do wish people in the tech industry would realise that there's a lot of skill and experience needed to make something look good and and communicate the required information. Psychology, Biology (specifically that of the eye), Sociology, Material Science, Social History, IT. A good designer needs to have at least a working knowledge of all these things. It's not just 'trying to stay inside the lines with your crayons'.

That said, suggesting that a bit of UX design is more difficult than engineering the hardware for a phone is just complete bollocks.

2. bdam
          Linux

"Visual design is a much trickier skill, if it was easy then Linux desktops would look amazing when they don't look as good as OSX or Windows."

And iOS would look as good as the latest Android release, Jelly Bean. And not appear in comparison all slow and jerky the way, say, the iPad does next to a Nexus 7.

3. andreas koch
    Holmes

Totally reasonable from Apple's point of view

If they can make as much profit from a Samsung sale as they do from an own sale, then why not?

It's like the landlord in your pub offering that you can bring your own beer as long as you pay him the same amount per glass.

Does it make sense for Samsung? No.

1. Mark .

Re: Totally reasonable from Apple's point of view

Well, it's like the landlord in the pub next door offering that you can sell beer in your own pub, as long as you pay him per glass, because he invented round glasses five years ago.

As you say, it's entirely reasonable from the point of view of a landlord wanting to put their own profits above all else. But for the rest of us - no.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They also....

demanded payments for Samsung's windows phones too...

1. Ilsa Loving
      Meh

Re: They also....

Hey, it worked for Microsoft, so why not? :P

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$30, well that's fair and reasonable...

Face it if you wan't to have a round corner rectangle with a bezel for a smartphone, then why shouldn't you pay about 10-20% of the cost to manufacture it to Apple to be allowed to do so.

They aren't being unfair or unreasonable at all - not like those nasty Asians that created actual technical innovation that became a fundamental part of phone design but wanted an extortionate 2.25%.

Then again Apple will allow you to cross licence their patents and not use any of their IP and they will give you an 80% reduction in the tax. Can't say fairer than that?

1. Philip Lewis
      Mushroom

Re: $30, well that's fair and reasonable...

Yet another profoundly ignorant and incoherent rant - AC. You should try and learn the terminology and what those terms actually mean. Then you could try constructing sentences that make logical sense within the context of the technical meaning of the words and concepts.

For example, "fair and reasonable" in this discussion means RAND (aka. FRAND) patents and you reference poorly frames the following text, because it is intentionally unclear to what you are referring.

Another example. 2.25% of the retail price (that was what you meant to write, but didn't, due to ignorance or malice) for a single patent is an amount that no corporation on the planet pays for FRAND patent royalties. (a) because there are a large number of 2.25% patents in a single device, which would mean the cost of the device would reach some number very large indeed (need to do some advanced math which I cannot be bothered to do) and (b) because it leads to the absurdity, that if Boeing fit a 3G phone to a 747-8, then the patent is worth 2.25% of 300 million dollars (I didn't check the sticker price) - for 1 phone. Clearly not going to happen.

We could live without your diatribes here.

Here endeth the "feeding of the troll" for today.

1. vic 4
        Unhappy

Re: 2.25% of the retail price

Like you say, no one else is paying that percentage. But that is a percentage (true a high one) for this particular device. A 3G phone on a plane is obviously an insignificant part of the plane functions. If you made the simplest of phones and banged it out at £10 then I'd guess a fair percentage would work out higher than 2.25%

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Headmaster

Pot, Kettle etc.

Then you could try constructing sentences that make logical sense within the context of the technical meaning of the words and concepts

You then give us

For example, "fair and reasonable" in this discussion means RAND (aka. FRAND) patents and you reference poorly frames the following text, because it is intentionally unclear to what you are referring.

Sorry, I haven't a clue to what you referring to

1. Tom 38
          Meh

He is missing one letter from making that comprehensible. Are you really busting his balls because he missed an 'r' off 'your'?

For example, "fair and reasonable" in this discussion means RAND (aka. FRAND) patents and your reference poorly frames the following text, because it is intentionally unclear to what you are referring.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"He is missing one letter from making that comprehensible. Are you really busting his balls because he missed an 'r' off 'your'?"

He's siding with Apple, and they'd call it fair and reasonable.

And sue your ass if you didn't, too...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like