back to article Pasadena to party hardy as Martian landing looms

Pasadena is a fairly geeky place at the best of times, given it's the home to the California Institute of Technology and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, but the city is going Mars crazy as Curiosity approaches its rendezvous. On Saturday night a party is taking place in the city's downtown zone where the great and the geeky …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous John

Want.

Where can I get one of those spacesuit costumes?

1. LarsG

Re: Want.

Easily made with two white sheets, felt tips and a cardboard ring.

1. Richard Ball

Re: Want.

Come on now - do it properly.

Duvet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The point of going to Mars?

There are no women, no bars, no swimming pools, no bacon sandwiches and you can't even get a tan?

After being cooped up for weeks in an oil drum with some other sweaty individual you arrive, the door opens and.......

Neil Armstrongs first word on the moon 'one small.... Zzzzzzzz....shit Buzz this place is booooring....zzzzzzz.....step for man one giant.......zzzzzzzzz......what the f*** we gonna do for the next couple of days......zzzzzzzz.....leap for mankind.

The edited reply from Buzz Aldrin 'could just go for a walk I suppose'

1. stucs201
        Coat

Re: The point of going to Mars?

Well Mars has to be an improvement on the moon. They expected that to be a fun place to party, but it turned out there was no atmosphere.

(Unsurprisingly mines the spacesuit)

2. hplasm
        FAIL

You are forgetting the triple breasted women- unavailable elsewhere, outside of Eroticon 6, as I understand it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was faked anyway only this time the effects will be better!

4. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Coat

Hmm, free mars bars..

5. Jim Carter
        Trollface

I see what you mean. It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere...

6. Chris 171
        Go

Because we can.....(fingers crossed on this latest mission).

Right?

2. Not a Rocket Scientist
    Thumb Up

Snoz Thrusters

Does anyone else think the SuperDraco thrusters look like nostrils in this photo?

3. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Fondleslab fully charged...

Gonna watch this girl get down from the NASA site tonight/tomorrow morning.

It'll be difficult to use the fondleslab, with my fingers crossed. Go, Girlie! You're almost there!

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

UK TV?

Anyone know if any UK TV channels are covering Curiosity's landing?

1. Narlaquin
      Alien

Re: UK TV?

Have a look at Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy site for webby links. I'll be doing the same at 6am

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/08/05/reminder-curiosity-lands-tonight/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BadAstronomyBlog+%28Bad+Astronomy%29

is a linkfest.

<----- Just because

5. YumDogfood

Culture shocked

As a Brit ex-pat and member of the LA OASIS society[1] I'm continuously in jaw dropped mode. I've been introduced to the Space-X CEO, know people who's lecturers worked with Wolfgang Pauli and other scientific luminaries. It goes on and on, including people I know who work for JPL. The UK efforts, sadly, make it look like WASA[2].

Its an utterly different world and those not familiar with it have no idea of the core of talent, commitment, money and opportunities. The UK is no slouch when it comes to talented scientists, but everything else seems so shoe-string in comparison.

[1] https://info.aiaa.org/Regions/Western/LA/Lists/Calendar/DispForm.aspx?ID=159

[2] http://www.welshspaceagency.org

PS: One space science meeting was at Northrop Grumman's cafeteria, the exterior of which is best known to Star Trek fans as the place where Spock was attacked by the fried egg monsters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Annihilate!

6. NomNomNom

BORRRRIINNNNGG

Hey guys the rest of the world is watching the Olympics, you are welcome to join us. Put down the space toys and come check out the real pinnacle of human achievement. I just witnessed a man moving his legs and arms really fast and someone timed it and turns out it was the fastest anyone has moved like that for years. The entire human race was hooting and clapping at this while you guys are stuck here thinking about robots. See anything wrong with that picture?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

On Marrs...

No one can hear you masturbate......

8. Flatulent Flea
    Linux

Lame

This party was lame. It was basically a self-congratulating party for SpaceX and some of its employees. You couldn't see or hear any of the speakers. Elon Musk showed up and said something no one could hear since it echoed out into the open space and they confined him to behind the DJ area, while he took pictures with his own employees/VIPS and they blocked off the dance floor until he left - security reasons I guess and understand, but it was still lame, kind of. Why not have some photo opps with Bill or Elon or any of the speakers for the people who attended and supported this party? There weren't THAT many people there, maybe 100 at MOST/at peak hours. I thought SpaceX wants to make space accessible. People who didn't buy tickets were sneaking in - ducking under the ropes with no recourse. Today NASA's Curiosity will land on Mars - let me emphasize it's NASA's. SpaceX acts like THEY had something to do with the creation and execution of all this, and they didn't. Why is Musk trying to steal that thunder? Yeah, sure he wants to build spacecraft to go to Mars - so do I. So do lots of people. All he's doing is talking about it and lands a profile in the LA Times as if this has ANYTHING to do with SpaceX. They should be profiling the lead engineers of this mission - Adam Stelzner, for example. Meanwhile, Musk sings the praises of capitalism and free-enterprise space exploration ... all of which is made possible largely through government grants. It's great what SpaceX has achieved with the Dragon capsule, really, but for once could Musk/SpaceX step aside, tuck away his ego and let the true pioneers of space technology/exploration have the limelight? Enough with the Musk demagoguery/worship.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like