back to article Opera updated following unexplained Outlook.com lockout

Opera Software is working on a fix to ensure Microsoft’s Hotmail successor Outlook.com works in its browser. Opera has pumped out Update 12.01 to make Outlook.com work with its browser but warned fans might continue to encounter problems with attachments. It has also patched a critical vulnerability in desktop versions of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Patrick O'Reilly

Bork!

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2003/02/14/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bork!

Must admit that was my first reaction too. What do you reckon for this time? Swedish Chef? Pirate?

2. Mike Judge
    Stop

The easy fix.

Decide what's more important..

For me a good browser (Opera), is far more important than a Gmail/GDocs wannabe...

3. Da Weezil
    FAIL

Surprise.. ANOTHER Broken Redmond site

Like the Windows 8 upgrade site link I followed out of curiosity a few days back

"oops sorry your browser isnt supported"

This is becoming a common occurrence again with Microsoft sites...

Shame Microsoft still seem to be trying to ignore some other browsers... yes I know ti would probably work if I spoofed as being another browser but thy the hell should I?

1. Ilsa Loving
      FAIL

Re: Surprise.. ANOTHER Broken Redmond site

"This is becoming a common occurrence again with Microsoft sites..."

What do you mean, "becoming" ?

4. roselan
    Paris Hilton

couldn't attach file on chrome either.

MS being playful, it's kinda cute actually.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A request to the authors here at The Register

Could we please stop padding articles by the lazy expedient of "@RandomUserOnTwatter said #blah"?

Thank you.

6. Andy ORourke

Surface, the new technique for turd polishing

I took a look at this yesterday, the "new UI" appears to only be the very top, do anything else "emaily" and you are dumped back at the old hotmail screen (at least in my very limited 2 minute experiment)

Meh

7. Pete Spicer

Would someone please explain to me why Opera has to be fixed because Outlook.com doesn't run?

Is it because Opera isn't following standards, or because Outlook.com doesn't follow standards and relies on non-standard behaviour?

1. DJV Silver badge
      Devil

Standards

Microsoft follows its own 'standards'. Often those standards are there to completely bork anything else that's non-MS.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Opera fixes browser bugs that are web standards failures

they send out site patches automatically to fix badly coded sites using javascript.

That's the way it should be done. You get the best of both worlds, you don't compromise your standards compliance, and you can workaround sloppy coding aswell.

8. Antti Roppola
    Mushroom

DR-DOS

Sorry! It sort of looked like DR-DOS!

9. DaiKiwi

If you don't like these standards we have others

Typical of Microsoft - our websites only work properly if you use our browser.

10. Fihart

More confusion for idiot users.

Microsoft are just too brilliant for the rest of us.

They already have products called Outlook which are offline mail readers, so why not give a webmail service exactly the same name ?

As it is, I know idiot users who refer to Word as Windows and vice versa making offering them help an exercise in frustration.

11. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Facepalm

Successful lock-in

And they wonder why they can't get people to migrate off XP/IE6...

12. gujiguju

$13M past settlement

I'm shocked, just SHOCKED that Microsoft would not spend a bit of time testing in Opera for its 300 million users. They would never do it intentionally would they? Nah.

http://news.cnet.com/Microsoft-behind-$12-million-payment-to-Opera/2100-1032_3-5218163.html

(Remember Google, for that matter; 9 months to fix Google Instant, when changing the UA string to FF in Opera prefs would make it work...)

And guess what? The strategy works to scare less-knowing users away from Opera to IE or Chrome. Opera does giant heavylifting to handle sitepatching while waiting for web sites to workaround legitimate bugs or problem, stop discriminating with UA sniffing or sit on their hands and just wait for users to stop using Opera.

http://my.opera.com/sitepatching/blog/

Here's the jsQuery minify problem with Outlook.com.

http://my.opera.com/sitepatching/blog/2012/08/02/hotlook

13. Mr Templedene

Google is starting the same tactics

Quite a few google sites are now not working, or warning they might not work, in Opera.

I doubt it's sloppy coding or lack of resources to test their sites, google have a vested interest in pushing chrome now! I imagine they will gradually start to "break" their sites for other browsers soon enough.

14. ChessGeek

Heh, I use Opera but I don't use Google.

This topic is closed for new posts.