back to article IBM database strategy chief on DB2: Devs are people too

Developers are exerting greater influence on new versions of IBM’s DB2 database, according to one of Big Blue's information management strategy chiefs. Bernie Spang, director of strategy and marketing for database software and systems, said while IBM has historically consulted DBAs on new features they’d like in IBM’s mighty …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

> Big Data is even more of a nose bleed.

I hear that in Japan, extreme sexual excitement is depicted by nosebleeds. So here?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bernie is talking out of his other 'mouth'...

Bernie has always been Mr. DB2. And is utterly clueless.

IBM has Informix's IDS which has extensibility built in.

So to extend IDS to handle key,value pairs would be relatively trivial. But Bernie is always DB2 first, and doesn't understand the underlying technologies.

This is one reason why IBM is never going to be a leader in this space.

DB2 is their sacred cow and they would rather put lipstick on a pig to sell it than to do the right thing.

Posted Anon for obvious reasons.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@IBM: Fix the Basics First

As long as there is no working ODBC driver for DB/2 ( I got a working one from an IBM customer engineer), I could not care less about that new stuff.

Also, please turn the "local authentication"-default crapola off. I don't want to become an expert on the DB/2 command line just to make a few fecking selects against DB/2.

For a .Net developer, your product is the worst mess ever seen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @IBM: Fix the Basics First

This here: http://bytes.com/topic/db2/answers/183802-slow-odbc-connection-aix-db2

2. Jon Massey
      FAIL

Totally agree, both the IBM-supplied one and the MS one are complete piles of dog shit

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No issues when using SQLJ and DB2... Nothing Microsoft makes works well with anything that isn't made by Microsoft. ODBC is, for all intents and purposes, Microsoft technology. Oracle's ODBC drivers are nothing to write home about either. Java connections, JDBC and SQLJ, are the standard.

You can connect to DB2 with ODBC (below), but if you absolutely need to use .NET, I would use ado.net as it is slightly faster and built into the default .NET framework. DB2 works with ado.net.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216428

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like