back to article 1,000 Foxconn iPad workers trash dorms in riot against guards

A riot broke out at a Foxconn workers' dormitory in Chengdu after hundreds of workers got involved in a clash with security guards, according to reports from Chinese human rights website Molihua [English version in the Want China Times here]. The incident at the dorm started at about 9pm on Monday and escalated into a full- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Trollface

The incident at the dorm started at about 9pm on Monday

Wow - is it tuesday today?

Or is this another rehashed story, typed up by el reg's intern?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The incident at the dorm started at about 9pm on Monday

Wow only took you....... Days to cover it!

Strangely the story only started appearing in the mainstream media 24 hours ago...

Could this be censorship.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly all Foxconn produced items will be delayed for the foreseeable future as there is re-eduction program about to begin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quick Apple spindoctors, where are you.

we're waiting...

3. jai

just-slap-an-Apple-sticker-on-it

"just-slap-an-Apple-sticker-on-it"

So now you're saying it is Foxconn who are rebranding their own kit??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly this is a Foxcomm issue, I mean just look at the variance of the story. One side says that guards were trying apprehend a single thief which then spiralled out of control. The other says it started as a dispute with a resteraunt owner and continued to escalate before it even got back to the dorms.

Not to mention at every moment foxcomm goes to lengths to point out how it had nothing to do with them since it was a third party owned dorm, and third party hired staff and involved a resteraunt which had nothing to do with them.

Every bit of 'information' they've given has sounded more like an excuse to pass the buck. Yeah its run by a third party, but who hired them? Ergo the staff were also indirectly hired by foxcom.

Ah well, its only a matter of time before somebody blows the factory up.

*grabs his dynamite*

1. Hieronymus Howerd

It's Foxconn

The clue is in the way it's spelt throughout the article you just read. And the world.

2. Uncle Siggy

It's not just Apple

"We are oft to blame in this,--

'Tis too much proved--that with devotion's visage

And pious action we do sugar o'er

The devil himself."

1. BorkedAgain
        Thumb Up

Re: It's not just Apple

Uncle Polonius? Is't you?

5. Steve Evans

Anna Anna Anna....

What's with that factual sentence listing other companies using Foxconn's services?

The Appletards aren't getting to you are they?

1. JetSetJim
      Thumb Up

Re: Anna Anna Anna....

I noticed that the "Apple badging" rhetoric was limited purely to the sub-head, rather than littered throughout the article. Perhaps El Reg is dialing back on the Foxconn bashing? A little, at least.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Maybe they've realised that that joke was funny once and once only. It's a shame that Yahoo! generates less news as that gag runs and runs.

1. mccp

No, no, I think that the subtitle is simply even more blatant above the line trolling - I came straight to the comments to watch the fallout. Was the article any good?

2. Trokair 1
          Headmaster

@ Admiral Grace Hopper

You did it wrong should have been "It's a shame that Yahoo! generates less news as that! gag! runs! and! runs!

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

@Trokair1 Noted! Thank! You!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No she is being unbiased in her reporting for a change.

6. Pete the not so great
    Alert

Prison riot?

no comment

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would slaves rebel?

I'm sure Tim Cook will go to China, work and live along side these "workers" for five years at the same wages they receive, without any other compensation - so that he can be certain they are treated fairly and respectfully as he has been with his $178 Million annual compensation.

1. Tom 38

Re: Why would slaves rebel?

HTC pay their assembly workers $100k a year.

Oh no wait, that's not right.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think you meant ONE cup of old rice per day...

2. Marty
      Headmaster

"at the same wages they receive"

Its all relative....

from what I read about the interwebs, what they pay foxconn workers is inline or is slightly above the average wage that semi skilled/skilled production line workers take home in mainland china.

By western standards its a pittance, but in china they dont pay 12 yen for a loaf of bread... and before I get flammed, I know its still not the best wages they are paid, but its wrong to compare it to our wages, compare wages against cost of living...

8. John 104

Prison or Place of Employment?

Why are there that many guards there? Are these people employees or prisoners? I can see a guard or two to mind the facility, but beyond that starts to look like slave labor...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Erm no......

The Chinese employees do actually get paid and they do get a roof. For slave labour, you need to look to some of the lovely, warm organisations who run Blighty's very own workfare programmes (i.e. no pay and no roof for some of the "work experience" people who worked security at the royal pageant).

1. Daggersedge
        FAIL

It's called working for your benefits, that is the money *taken* from taxpayers. I don't see why anyone should get money for just existing - and for breeding, for that matter - which is what, in effect, these people get.

1. Jason Hindle

"It's called working for your benefits, that is the money *taken* from taxpayers. I don't see why anyone should get money for just existing - and for breeding, for that matter - which is what, in effect, these people get."

Alternatively, it's called displacing real, actual paying jobs with free labour (aka slavery). Make no mistake, this can and will be abused. I cannot speak for the rest, but if I find myself out of work for a time, I'll be happy I'm up to date with my "National INSURANCE" contributions (even if the government did spend them on a new missile).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Prison or Place of Employment?

Errr... no. There are tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of employees on the site. That requires a bit more than a couple of guards.

4. laird cummings
      Meh

Re: Prison or Place of Employment?

Actually, the presence of guards* makes sense, even in a non-sinister reading of the reports.

Any time you have large numbers of people in close contact, especially what appears to be a large number of unmarried males, you're going to have some problems - Everything from stupid drunks to gambling to personality clashes, and beyond. A certain amount of authority present to keep the worst of things from getting out of control seems proper.

Clearly, there weren't enough guards present to prevent a riot. There may have only been enough present to *start* a riot.

* No idea how MANY guards there are, to be sure - that's not mentioned anywhere. Could be a handful, could be a batalion. No way of knowing, from the reports.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would be interesting to hear about the other customers of Foxxconn for a change.

10. Lallabalalla
    WTF?

Tch!

Just-slap-an-Apple-Sony-Microsoft-Nokia-and-many-many-more-badge-on-it is a *bit* less snappy?

11. Stephen 2

Desktop computers full of Foxconn stuff

I took apart two old desktop computers at the weekend and there was tonnes of stuff in them with the foxconn name. Why does Apple keep getting slung onto these "news" reports but no one else?

12. Juan Inamillion
    Coat

Stickers?

We don't need no steenking stickers!

Errm... Apple don't put stickers on anything AFAIA. I thought it was only on MS stuff.....

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Stickers?

True. They do ship stickers with their stuff but that's a bit different ANGKOR. Perhaps the sub-headline was not to be taken too litterally (or too seriously, for that matter)?

13. DrXym

The article fails to say

How many iPads were damaged in the riot.

14. oregonensis
    Stop

"Foxconn rebranders"

It's unfair to label Apple as a "just-slap-an-Apple-sticker-on-it giant." Surely the Foxconn workers will put the stickers on, too.

15. Steve Mann

Ah!

I finally understand why so many Republicans wish America was more like China.

What a wonderland it will be when the pesky working classes can be threatened with mandatory organ reassignment and summary thrashing for leaving their dormitories or breathing out without permission after 10pm.

16. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Wasn't me...

The Workers have confirmed that the rioters were independant third-party rioters contracted to provide Professional Rioting Services by the contracted-out Rioter Hiring Services riot-management services contractor. The Workers are in a third-party contractual relationship with the Rioter Hiring Services contractor via a numbered company in Bermuda. The Workers wish to make clear that they were not involved in any way in the actual rioting. However it must be acknowledged that some of the independent rioters may moonlight part time at the factory. But this does not imply that the Workers were rioting.

The Workers trust that this clears up the question about just who was rioting.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Foxconn Chengdu factory iPad workers

"The Foxconn Chengdu factory manufactures electronic parts for various vendors, including iPhone and iPad components for Apple"

Then why is Apple the only singled out for mention in relation to the Chengdu factory incident. Oh wait - I forgot I was reading theReg for a minute there :)

18. Melanie Winiger

Joke altert

At least they didn't call the Army in.

19. Paw Bokenfohr

Two serious questions

What has Anna Leach got against Apple and/or Foxconn that she keeps banging that drum about Apple being a Foxconn rebrander? I know that other companies were mentioned in this article for the first time, but this Apple / Foxconn thing is a recurring theme. This is a genuine question - if there's a backstory we're missing, I'd love to hear it; perhaps we don't have all the facts that would have lead to this conclusion. Why are Foxconn worse than all the rest? Why are Apple always labelled as a Foxconn rebrander, and not others (even the Kindle is manufactured by Foxconn, along with Xbox and PS3!).

Secondly, does anyone know where / how Samsung manufactures? Do they have their own manufacturing plants (I guess they do) and if so, do they manufacture the Galaxy S3 there or is it outsourced? What are conditions like? The S3 seems like a genuine competitor to the iPhone now, and so the ethics of its manufacture might well sway people (me) to buy one when the time comes for upgrade.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Two serious questions

Oh dear, don't ask questions, you will get down voted!!, like me.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: Two serious questions

Yup! I did! Don't see how my post merits any thumbs downs at all. I was being serious and genuine. That's obviously not what some Reg readers want!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It takes one bad Apple, errr i mean Foxconn worker...

Sorry.

21. NogginTheNog
    Stop

Foxconn re-brander

Apple's big. It's successfully (amazing so!). It can be arrogant and cocky, or at least was seen as so under Jobs' leadership. All these things tend to bring out the urge to be sarcastic in the British.

"Just-slap-an-Apple-sticker-on-it" is FUNNY. Get over it - I somehow think Apple is big enough to do so too ;-)

22. Volker Hett

Luckily

my Gigabyte branded Foxconn Mainboard isn't affected.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's amazing how inept many consumers are

Consumers have all the power but the majority of consumers are clueless sheep and lacking in any reasonable ethics.

Foxconn could be stopped from exploiting these Chinese workers by consumers voicing their outrage and simply refusing to buy any products produced by Foxconn for Microsucks, Rotten Apple, Acer, and all of the rest until proper working and living conditions are maintained.. Money talks and politicians spew B.S.

1. Milkfloat

Re: It's amazing how inept many consumers are

The chances are that you wrote that on a device using a Foxconn component.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's amazing how inept many consumers are

The chances are everyone can vote with their wallet for decent working conditions and compensation. When did Foxconn or their customers become the only source of electronic toys? Trying to rationalize poor decision making is futile.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like