back to article China blesses Google's Moto buy, patent problems persist

Analysis Google has finally won approval from Chinese anti-trust authorities for its $12.5bn takeover of handset maker Motorola Mobility, removing the final major obstacle to the deal, but analysts believe the securing the long-term success of Android will be the Chocolate Factory's priority, rather than producing hardware. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So now

Things will get more complicated in the patent wars. This wasn't an altruistic purchase, it was a purchase of a 'war chest' to firstly fight off the opposition, secondly to make lots of money from licensing and lastly to defeat the enemy!

But above all the greatest winner will be.... The patent lawyer.

1. Mikel
      Terminator

Re: So now

I can't wait 'til Google starts spinning off patent trolls to do independent battle with Microsoft, Apple, Nokia and Oracle in reprisal for them being such jerks. A dozen patents, three lawyers and a couple paralegals each out of a dozen different little trolls in every major jurisdiction in the world ought to be just the thing to set things right. Maybe partner with HTC or individual executive investors or somebody else so the little trolls can be "independent" entities with separate ownership.

That shouldn't cost more than a few million dollars a year.

Before you call it evil, look at Rockstar Consortium: http://reason.com/blog/2012/05/21/wired-tours-patent-trolling-company-foun

Turnabout is fair play.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nahh

It was just a bad purchase, just like Google's so many others, most of which are in the shitpile now.

3. Big_Ted
    Megaphone

@ AC's

your taking rubbish......

this was Google responding to MS / Apple / Rim purchase a few months before a thousands of patents which they could see being used against them / their partners and Android.

they already gave a few to HTC to use in its fights, this is no more tha a defence against the rest to make them tink twice before attacking them, demand a big payout or low costs on licence with no lawsuits is my way of thinking after the IIRC 2.5 % per unit price demand they have already asked for.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @ ACs

My what?

Also, sentences begin with capital letters.

And the plural of AC is ACs.

2. Euchrid

Re: @ AC's

"this was Google responding to MS / Apple / Rim purchase a few months before a thousands of patents which they could see being used against them / their partners and Android."

Presumably, you're talking about the ones acquired by the Nortel patent auction. Google certainly did say that deal was anti-competitive and that the winners had paid over the market odds. Presumably, if Google’s own bid had won, it wouldn’t have complained about this being anti- competitive. The accusation about the consortium paying over the odds, IIRC, was based on an initial valuation from Google and again IIRC, it seemed to be a ‘plucked from the air’ amount.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Microsoft later said it had approached Google over the Nortel patent auction about working together but Google wasn’t interested. If that was the case, it doesn’t quite fit the narrative that several greedy companies ganged up on another greedy company, I mean, a lovable underdog that would rather make a friend that a dollar. Google was caught with its pants down over the Nortel auction, pure and simple.

The idea that there are good guys when it comes to companies building up patent war chests is nice, but they’re all just sharks.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A good purchase

Now we'll start to see more patent wrangling amplifying the silliness of software patents even further. It just gets better, the battles must get uglier and more entertaining. Wow, patent lawyers must be creaming it, but what a waste of energy, think what could be improved on instead.

5. MrXavia
    Thumb Up

I look forward to seeing the new tablets/phones from google, so far i've not been that impressed with the tablet market...

I just hope they do keep Android free or at a low low cost to other manufacturers.

6. Philip Lewis

Crucified

I now look forward to Moto's crucifiction by the courts, the EU and the entire western world for their blatant and egregious attempts to subvert the FRAND system.

1. Mikel
      Windows

Re: Crucified

The "F" in "FRAND" doesn't stand for "Free". FRAND patents still have to be licensed. Woe to Motorola Mobility for insisting on that.

2. Mikel
      Devil

Re: Crucified

And now the news this morning: US ITC judge finds for Moto, rules injunction on XBox. So much for your claim.

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Could you dumb it down a shade?

Does this mean 'slide to unlock' is an innovative invention which can be used by only one manufacturer or can it be used by used by everyone now?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like