back to article Starck brewing 'fairly, if not very, revolutionary' Apple THING

Gallic product design hotshot Philippe Starck says he's working on a "fairly, if not very, revolutionary" project with Apple that will be out in time for Christmas. Starck dropped the bombshell in an interview with French radio station France Info, but declined to elaborate on what he meant due to Apple's "secrecy cult", AFP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. W.O.Frobozz
    Meh

Oooh...

..should I pack my tent and get in line now?

1. bonkers
      Thumb Up

Re: Oooh...

I like what you did there, Blackadder,

'I regularly visit Steve Jobs' wife,' adds Frenchman

"admits Frenchman" surely?

2. stucs201
    Mushroom

Philippe Starck?

I'd rather have something designed by Tony Stark.

<----- Because it could probably do this :)

1. Gordon 10

Re: Philippe Starck?

Tony Stark or iRon Man?

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Revolutionary and French?

iGuillotine?

1. The First Dave
      Pirate

Re: Revolutionary and French?

Wrong - the Guillotine is a Scottish invention - though the one in the Royal Museum of Scotland (or whatever Chambers Street is now called) is called "The Iron Maiden" ...

4. Jeebus

Not revolutionary. We have confirmation that is definitely in the pipeline for Apple.

5. ducatis'r us
    FAIL

form over function

the lemon squeezer looks very nice but is TOTALLY USELESS as an actual lemon squeezer. Not untypical of the Starckian cult's products, although I do like my Miss Sissy lamps.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: form over function

Possibly, I haven't tried enough of them.

However, the Zab backpacks he designed with Samonsite were absolutely superb, functionally. Understated and slender, but could expand to about 25 litres. Little unfussy details. The straps were retractable, like seatbelts. I don't go out of my way for designer man-bags, but spotted it in TK Max.

Hmm... don't know what to make of this story. Can't see why he would voluntarily dent his reputation by claiming something that is demonstrably false.

If true, it might be a collaboration with Apple for the sake of charity- like the Product RED range. Or something daft, like the U2 iPod.

Maybe Cook thinks we've all got a bit too used to Sir Jonny's efforts - and Jonny himself might be getting bored - so maybe a step away from the minimal is more plausible that at first it seems.

6. S2S
    Joke

He has designed a new logo for apple, along with an app ( Ismell ) that lets you smell images you are viewing.

http://img.ehowcdn.co.uk/article-new/ehow/images/a06/m2/im/plant-supermarket-garlic-bulbs-800x800.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You should have warned us that was NSFW!

Thanks a lot -- now my whole cubicle stinks! Fscking Android Smell-o-Vision app...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Denied...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/13/2946737/apple-denies-collaboration-with-philippe-starck

8. Levente Szileszky
    IT Angle

Ummm....

"and that he still goes there now to visit his wife."

....aaaaaaaaawkwaaaaaaaard!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Ummm....

Not if you're French! : D

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ummm....

Mai non.

It seems very courteous of the gallic gentleman to continue to visit and comfort the widow.

Any suggestion that he is trying to get his feet under the table with a woman who is presumably a major shareholder in the company would be in poor taste. And that in typically French style he might be enjoying an intimacy with a woman who is not his wife must be near slanderous.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the chicken is out of the pen

unfortunately it is pecking at the umbilical cord of the space ship of love. organic life forms make noises when they're sick.

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

One theory:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/philippe-starcks-project-with-apple-is-steve-jobs-yacht/

Some millionaires go by "If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it. It's cheaper in the long run". Billionaires, it seems, don't have to worry!

Oh, and just to show that Starck can be more sober:

http://www.starck.com/fr/design/categories/design_industriel/bagages.html#zab

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TIN FOIL HAT TIME!

Tonight, on the "What I Want To Know Show": who exactly was it who persuaded Jobs to waste years trying wacko alternative therapies when he could have been getting real treatment, and is any part of that person now inside Steve Jobs' widow?

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Down

Re: TIN FOIL HAT TIME!

I have little time for Cupertino and their products but those transcendentally tasteless remarks I could have done without.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TIN FOIL HAT TIME!

Have you seen Mrs Starck?

http://headofdesign.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pswife.jpg

Why play away from home?

12. Muckminded

When you must prove

you can type articles, please include "Apple" in the title.

13. Wombling_Free
    FAIL

avant garde design; zero usefulness.

Those of you who haven't tried a Phillipe Starck Juicy Salif juicer would be well advised to avoid it.

It is not actually meant to be used, it is meant to sit on your mantelpiece to show guests what a trendy, design-concious hipster you are.

The juicer does not work. Well, no thats not quite right, it does work, but in a useless way.

Firstly - it's too tall. You have to press hard and twist to get juice out of an orange, and doing that on an object with only three legs, and is tall and narrow, with a very high centre of gravity? What could possibly go wrong? There is a good reason all other manual juicers tend to be low with wide bases!

Secondly - surface tension. The theory is sound, juice runs down the spike and drips elegantly into your Alvar Aalto-designed tumblers. In practice - surface tension makes the liquid stick to the spike, and as the liquid runs down the spike it acquires a sideways vector as well, and streams off the end int eh direction of the slope of the spike - so if you aren't using a high-ball glass that contains the end of the spike, the juice ends up all over your bench, making it wet, slippery and messy, and... see above.

So what can we expect from a merging of Apple and Starck? Maybe a circular glass & titanium keyboard? A perfectly cubical mouse with nice precise sharp edges? Whatever it is, it will certainly allow Apple to add another 700% or so markup to the same old tat.

1. Ru
      Trollface

Re: avant garde design; zero usefulness.

Well, given Starck's experience in rendering a useful everyday object pretty but quite unusable, I'd say you should all expect some sort of shiny mobile communications device which when picked up with a bare hand loses all signal reception because you've shorted the antenna to ground.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like