back to article Microsoft to upgrade Windows Kinect kit

Microsoft announced a second Kinect for Windows release this week, adding more advanced skeletal tracking, localised speech recognition and a new video suite application. Kinect for Windows 1.5 sees the addition of Kinect Studio, an app to let developers record, play and debug clips of users getting jiggy with their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Regional accents

Duss thee reck'n thic lil box can unnerstand oi now, then, eh?

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: Regional accents

oh dear... the 'northern' accent done by someone who hasnt been past Watford i guess ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, a strong Wiltshire accent from somebody who was born here, can trace at least twelve generations of his family here and worked here on a farm for ten years (before doing the "big wide world" thing and then returning).

But nice try.

1. Citizen Kaned
          Facepalm

ah, my bad. looked like one of those londoners trying a generic northern accent.

facepalm for me then

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But why?

So you can jump around like an idiot to the same old jump and wave games?

1. Ru
      Facepalm

Re: But why?

Its an SDK, chief. If all you can imagine making with it is jump and wave games, that's your problem.

2. dogged

Look, dude. Try writing a game. Try getting some mo-cap for it. It's hard. And expensive. If this SDK means you can get quality motion-capture in your garage, we'll all get better games from indies and that's good for everyone.

3. Irongut

Imagine controlling your TV and Media Centre using a combo of Windows 8 and Kinect. No more hunting down the back of the sofa for the remote control. Just wave up to increase and down to decrease volume, wave left and right to change channel. Select items from the EPG by pointing at them. I think this could work really well and be popular. If only Kinect for Win was a bit cheaper I'd buy one for my Media Centre.

1. Monty Burns

Already been done with the X360 kinnect. Search it and you should find the 7MC/Kinnect video. Worked REALLY well.

4. sisk

As others have said, cheap mo-cap for indie game makers, but this goes far beyond games. Ever since Minority Report came out people have been trying to replicate that GUI, and this gives them a way to do it. Even that's just the tip of the iceberg. Look up some of the things hackers have been doing with Kinect since it came out.

3. b166er

Is it so that the Windows Kinnect and Xbox Kinnect are incompatible?

This is going to be a problem and a barrier to adoption if so.

It's one thing finding space for the Kinnect bar in front of ones TV for the Xbox, but there's no chance I'll add a second for the media centre. Aside from the practicalities, it would look odd.

4. ph0b0s

What can you do with it.

As an end user, and not a developer, is there anything out there that currently uses PC Kinect. As in if I brought one what would I use it for? This is going to be the biggest problem at the moment for this, I don't know anything that really supports it.

Also another version so soon after the first was released. That gives you confidence to buy. Why not hold off and see if there is another version in a few months.

1. qwarty

Re: What can you do with it.

Its a new version of the SDK, not the hardware, I gather the plan is to update the SDK several times, as new features are included. I don't think we'll see new hardware apart from packaging integrations into laptop etc. until K2, probably a late 2013 product.

End users. K4W is more a hobbyist to pro developer and vertical market product and I expect will continue like that this year, maybe some fun Metro apps for the Win8 early adopters.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Golden rule for Microsoft products

Never be an early adopter for them.

Also, I don't see much use for PC Kinect right. If you want Kinect games, you might as well get Kinect with the Xbox360.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like