Sonos - wireless streaming recommendations?

This topic was created by W.Hower .

1. W.Hower

Sonos - wireless streaming recommendations?

Is it just me that fell for Sonos? It all looked like a such a nice, easy and reliable gig. It's not so bad, given how rarely used it is. But I'm an audiophile by nature and just feel that I've gone down the wrong track with this one.

A proprietary network, no integration with iTunes, slow controller apps - I know audiophile and itunes don't naturally go together either but I use n iPhone so I'm locked into that nonsense too - it all feels so wrong.

Am I missing the point of Sonos? I'd like not to smirk at it, thinking 'your time is up sucker,' when I see it gleaming the corner of the room.

If I have, as I suspect, backed a wong'un, what would you suggest for wireless streaming - I mean from the NAS to the eardrum?

2. Citizen Kaned

we use...

sony systems dotted around the house for streaming. they can all do their own thing or can sync up for party mode where 1 device streams to all other devices. very easy to use and we use our phones (iphone and android) to control them from anywhere in the house.

3. Tim Parker

Logitech here

SqueezeServer comes already installed on the Zyxel NAS I have (and, with less options, the previous Buffalo unit) - a SqueezeBox Boom picked up for a steal, a Duet and adding some more receivers (these days there is no absolute need for the remote really, the Android/iOS apps work well). The NAS (both of them) also have iTunes servers off the same music store, so playing on the Apple stuff should work fine (converted to AAC, Lossless or with the FLAC iTunes plugin) - don't use side of it much.

I like the cross platform support, ease of use and integration, and other smaller points that matter to me such as hardware support for FLAC. YMMV but I like it.

4. FutureShock999

I looked at Sonos..but it is proprietary, and their speakers are good, not great.

What seems to work for me is simply AirPlay, but with some caveats.

I store all of my best music (Apple Lossless encoded) on a Mac Mini, that is connected by HDMI to my Arcam receiver and 5 Epos speakers. I run iTunes as the main playback mechanism in my lounge via this, and it doubles to play video off my NAS (the NAS also backs up the Mac Mini to guard my music collection - and the NAS backs up to Glacier). I then have an Airport connected to a Creek integrated amp and more Epos 12.2 speakers in the kitchen, and a Denon Picollo AirPlay receiver in the bedroom connected to a pair of Monitor Audio Vectras.

I control it all via my Android phone, using "Remote for iTunes" app from the Play store, or using my iPad. I can even remote login to the Mac Mini from my MacBook and control it.

Because it is AirPlay, and Spotify knows about AirPlay, my gf (who is a Spotify lover) can connect to most of the speakers with AirPlay from her MacBook - but not the Arcam in the lounge, as that isn't an AirPlay receiver (yet).

Quality is pretty good, latency is manageable, and because AirPlay is a standard I can buy more extension speakers of whatever quality I want/can afford to expand. My gf is in love with the B&O AirPlay portable speaker, so we may need one before summer for the garden. Or something much cheaper as my bank details dictate.

N.B. - I bought a used set of Epos 12.2s for the kitchen off eBay, because I love the ones in the lounge. The seller had just gone to Sonos, and as he put it, it was a downgrade...

5. mimilovell

I think that Sonos sounds is okay, but a bit expensive compared to others on the market

6. ssAIhh

I heard of the ravpower wireless FileHub , but I never used it myself. Just a suggestion anyway

7. davidson

I use Smartgroshen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts. Get 0.5 euro at start.

8. davidson

Try smartgroschen. Get 0.5 euro at start.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon