back to article Court shuts down site that circumvents Pirate Bay blocks

A Dutch anti-piracy group has won a court order forcing the operator of a proxy website to shut the site down after it was used to circumvent blocks to illegal file-sharing site The Pirate Bay. BREIN won the ruling at the Court of The Hague, according to a report by the Torrent Freak website. The operator of the 'tpb.dehomies. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MJI Silver badge

Having occasional trouble accessing

I tend to use it for TV, but it is having sporadic issues in the UK.

If you don't want me to use it please do not put not available against it on BBC Iplayer, luckily a google search with torrent found the programme for me.

Ever heard of recording failures?

Oh and of course I have had to download windows XP, all I wanted was an SP3 CD but mine had got damaged (someone sat on it), you try finding a XP install without licence anywhere, luckily the version I aquired allowed me to use my valid registration.

My can't MS offer an ISO download of operating systems?

There are lots of legitimate uses of torrent sites!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

My can't MS offer an ISO download of operating systems?

because it's obsolete.

Why didn't you do a decent backup / clone the original?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why can't MS offer an ISO download of operating systems?

It doesn't seem completely unreasonable to ask for ISO downloads (if you have a TechNet subscription they give you exactly this - it's still no use except as a trial without a valid key)

It's probably more that from their perspective it "encourages abuse" I reckon.

2. MJI Silver badge

What makes you think it is obsolete?

Nothing wrong with not replacing an old PC with a new one if it works is there? (It's a high spec. Pentium 4).

And why replace an OS which works and is paid for?

Operating systems do not wear out.

Do you buy a brand new car everytime a new model comes out?

Your car needs a major service, service it or buy a new one?

An easy ISO download page for operating systems would be great.

Oh my SP1 disc takes a long time to upgrade to SP3 and the SP2 doesn't do Pentium 4.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Alternatively, you could use your legit XP SP1 disc and the 'nLite' tool (search for it) to make a slipstreamed XP SP3 iso.

1. Tom 35

How about when after installing a service pack, windows asks you to "please insert your service pack 3 CD" but all you have is the stupid restore CD from HP/Toshiba...

Even if they have a SP2 CD it's beyond most users to create a slipstream SP3 CD.

3. Danny 14
        FAIL

Re: My can't MS offer an ISO download of operating systems?

MS do offer ISO downloads of their OS. In fact I log onto MS to get all my software. Its called MVLSC and it is fantastic. I imagine the torrents are simply these ISO's

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: My can't MS offer an ISO download of operating systems?

That looks business customer only.

Rebuilding that old PC was enough to make me want to try Linux next time!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Having occasional trouble accessing

"If you don't want me to use it please do not put not available against it on BBC Iplayer, "

Ahh, the freetard excuse!

1. MJI Silver badge

Oi I pay my TV licence!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

His not a freetard he probably pays his TV license, and it sounds ironic coming from a Paytard :P

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Interesting,

I pay my TV licence too but dont want to download stuff.. and I missed a film on the BBC a few weeks ago, can I go into HMV and make a copy of it to watch later?

After all it was a BBC production and its been released on DVD.. and I wouldnt be depriving anyone of physical media because Id copy it on my laptop in the shop and give it straight back.

Thats how it works, isnt it?

Note: No this isnt how it works, the licence fee does not entitle you to anything other than to watch broadcast TV.

Also the TV licence has F-all to do with iPlayer (you dont need a licence to watch iPlayer) so why even bring the licence into the discussion?

1. Danny 14
            FAIL

So using my PVR is illegal is it? Shit me, my cheapy TV records from freeview onto memory pen - event he kids know how to do this! At least they are below age of criminality... I have lots and lots of DVDs of recorded childrens programmes (most are out on DVD too).

Technically you could "digital squirrel" everything using a few digi receivers connected to a PC then decide what to keep and what not too (for your own use of course - i'm not talking bootlegging, selling, giving to mates or car booting etc). All legal. A bit silly though isnt it.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Also the TV licence has F-all to do with iPlayer (you dont need a licence to watch iPlayer) so why even bring the licence into the discussion?"

Well obviously in your world iplayer and all the infrastructure was built from magic beans.

In the real world the BBC expanded their digital side without any mandate to do so, it formed no part of their charter but they did it anyway - and they did it with licence fees, not magic beans.

That's why it should be in the discussion fuckwit.

Crawl off back under your stone luvvie.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Thats not the point though is it?

It may be part of the charter, it may have even taken tax money to set it up, however the statment was that he pays his fees so should have access to content, my point was that you DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A LICENCE to view content on iPlayer so the argument is pretty much null - It doesnt matter how much of the licence fee goes in to it, it doesnt make it yours (or mine, or anyone elses) in the same way that I cant go and borrow plasters from the local hospital, I pay taxes doesnt make them mine.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Stop

Re: "Thats not the point though is it?"

Borrowing hospital plasters? Copying DVDs in a shop??

Please come back when you can think up an argument that is relevant and actually makes some fucking sense.

2. Jop

Cat and mouse game

So they shut down a few proxies and then 10 more popup for each one down. A wordPress plugin called RePress now allows most with a WP blog to setup a Piratebay proxy now.

It is crazy that media companies representatives can now shut down a proxy site.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Cat and mouse game

There's a lot of uses for a proxy, such as caching or controlling access policy in a large company. If it's as black and white as you suggest, then there is indeed a huge problem. However I'm not clear on whether there isn't some other stipulation in the ruling besides just "proxy site".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cat and mouse game

Yeah, its plain stupid blocking PB, there are a lot of sites that also index the PB and since most PB torrents are now using DHT and don't use a PB tracker access to PB is largely irrelevant.

What are the media companies goint to do next? close down the internet? Then put serial numbers on CDs and DVDs and have a private stormtrooper on every street corner frisking you to make sure the CD in your pocket is the one registered to you?

Heil Copyright.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Query

TPB as well as showing "illegal" files also shows legal files which can be downloaded....if you take any of the "illegal" files and put it into google, google then shows you a list of sites where you can get this, should google then be banned?

1. Jop

Re: Query

America will only support he MPAA/RIAA etc if it does not affect business in it own country.

So Youtube and google will never be banned, in the same way Rapidshare has been left alone while Megaupload which was Hong Kong/Newzealand based was not.

The reason of linking to copyright infringing material was enough to take down TVshack and have its owner extradited, yet google does exactly the same thing. Double standards are rife.

1. Tom 38
        Joke

There are no double standards

Google pays tax (sometimes), TVshack did not.

1. Danny 14
          Go

Re: There are no double standards

I imagine that google pays more to lobyists too. campaigns dont fund themselves you know.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am currently on El-Reg's Commentard 'Naughty-Step'...

...for calling BREIN a bunch of "Copper Nano-Tubes" in a previous article about this.

Won't make that mistake again. ;)

5. Jon Press

Satisfyingly...

... in the linked article, the Dutch word used to mean "circumvent" is "omzeilen" which literally means to "sail around". Hoist the Jolly Roger!

6. Paratrooping Parrot
    Holmes

I wish they would spend this amount of effort in trying to remove scammers from the Internet which affects the finance of the general public rather than the amounts that affect big corporations.

7. Mectron

Why not suing the court to ILLEGALLY CENSORING THE NET, ILLEGALLY PREVETING ACCESS TO A PERFECTLY LEGAL WEBSITE. why not, instead have a world wide ban of every single thing the MPAA/RIAA produce. buy a MPAA/RIAA is directly financing the most dangerous criminal cartel in the know universe.

in fact been a member of the MPAA/RIAA or or do any of their bidding should be a crime punishable by death.

1. Sam Therapy
      Headmaster

Why not...

spell check, grammar check and stop shouting?

You give us Freetards a bad name. Er, oops. :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As ye sow...

TPB is catching Hell from everyone lately and they deserve it.

9. P. Lee
    Facepalm

Coming soon!

Per-country media licenses!

Ah, I see from your UV id, you bought that in the USA. That UV id isn't licensed for use in Holland, you can't listen to it there. See, now we have split the internet up into countries, we can do all sorts of things to "promote business." Please buy the Dutch version of the CD which comes with a bonus piece of Edam.

Actually I'm caught in a quandary. I like the idea that individual countries have the nouse to stand up and make their own rules without reference to any "international treaty obligations" - I think that's a good thing. Its just a real shame that they picked such a dumb instance to make a stand on.

1. Killraven

Re: Coming soon!

That's been done for ages now. It's called region encoding.

Sad, but true.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another one bites the dust

The more the merrier! Keep up the good work people.

This topic is closed for new posts.