back to article Star Wars visionary becomes one with the Force

Star Wars conceptual artist Ralph McQuarrie, whose paintings were the force behind much of the film series' design, has popped his clogs at the age of 82. McQuarrie's art was instrumental in persuading 20th Century Fox to back the production of Star Wars. Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars art This was followed by further film …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and the chances are....

...he got paid **** all for his efforts...

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

Be glad that Lucas recognised him

McQuarrie probably got paid as much as well as John Howe got paid for his conceptual art for the Lord of the Rings movies. It's a shame artists often don't get the rewards they deserve, but they do get paid - and better than comic artists sometimes get paid for their work.

2. Tony McAlinden
    Unhappy

Never Mind Star Wars - What About Maplin?

RIP Ralph. A shame that your fine artistic visions largely lined the pockets of the bearded one. I'll remember your work best for your Maplin catalogue covers - equal nostalgia of my youth.

Of course, this was before they re-invented themselves as a cross between Argos and a Pound Shop.

3. MasonStorm
    Thumb Up

Wonderful designs....

Would Star Wars would have had the impact it did without Ralph McQuarrie's wonderful designs (and John Williams stirring score) adding to the production values? George Lucas hired the right people for the job. I was a wide-eyed 7 year old when I saw Star Wars for the first time, and it was like nothing I'd seen before. The droids, the ships, the technology all mesmerised me (especially the wonderful stormtrooper helmet which Andrew Ainsworth so effectively sculpted and brought to life). Years later my wife bought me the "Art Of Star Wars" books from the original trilogy I and found that almost everything was designed by Ralph McQuarrie. Bon Voyage sir, I'll be raising a glass to your genius tonight and toasting my Shepperton Studios ANH Stunt helmet in your memory.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'popped his clogs'?

Could you be more disrespectful in using such a jocular phrase to announce someone's death?

Oh, and apparently, I'm a coward for demanding my right to anonymity. Idiots

This topic is closed for new posts.