back to article Hackers chop down UN eco-agency, release rare data into wild

Hacktivists claim to have raided the website of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and extracted sensitive internal information. The group, r00tw0rm, dumped an 82MB database file on Pastebin, which appears to contain hundreds of tables with administrator login details and user data. r00tw0rm has been busy over …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Notas Badoff
    Facepalm

Nom de garishness

I somehow wish these groups would aim for noms de guerre that were less embarrassing. I see r00tw0rm and think oootwoot look at us. TeaMp0isoN and think how much more clever if teamPoisson.

Think how much less arguably 'bad' WikiLeaks would be portrayed if they'd been named Zócolo ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why they make prisons

Those who can't live within the laws of society get free room and board for years when they hack.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is why they make prisons

Rubbish idea. What's the point of physically stopping people from injuring others when they aren't planning to do that anyway and have no track record of doing so?

Give them a good beating and let them go.

2. Mr Young

Re: This is why they make prisons

What about that grey area? You know - between black and white? Hacking and stealing data is wrong and not very nice, but so is "Civil Disobedience". Sometimes people need to change things/rules/laws etc and I don't think it's as simple as just throwing them all in prison - you're making it sound simple!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It wuz Gleick

Nuff said.

4. Kev99 Silver badge

"To the Cloud"

Once my opinion that any one who relies on the "Cloud" to store data is either a fool, and idiot, or a masochist.

1. Yag
      Trollface

Re: "To the Cloud"

... or a manager...

Wait, sorry, it is covered by "all of the above"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The cloud is for the gullible

Why not just place a target on your company?

This topic is closed for new posts.