back to article Hey Commentard! - or is that Commenter?

Last month a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain about the use of the word "freetard", on the grounds that, as an analogue of "retard", the word was derogatory to people with mental handicaps. Americans may have a little difficulty in understanding the substance of this complaint, in the way that most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other considerations aside

Things just ain't funny when repeated too often (I guess we all know someone who repeats Python sketches verbatim?)

Maybe the Reg can install a 'sell-by-date' plugin in its CMS and/or comments system. Wilful use of some of the riper cliches will incur a financial or physical penalty.

Fanboi

Commentard, freetard, or any other -tad

Etc

More, newer, cliches please!

1. Ian Yates
      Coat

Re: Other considerations aside

"I guess we all know someone who repeats Python sketches verbatim?"

I don't.... oh, wait, it's me, isn't it?

(Ah, thanks. Yes, the one with the ex-parrot in the pocket, ta.)

2. NomNomNom

Re: Other considerations aside

"I guess we all know someone who repeats Python sketches verbatim?"

I think you mean spam

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Coat

Fanboi (was: Re: Other considerations aside)

I rather like the term "fanbuoy" myself. Not least because I first came up with it... but it conveys much more, in terms of meaning, don't you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fanboi (was: Re: Other considerations aside)

Can be extended to 'fanbouyancy', I suppose.

2. sabroni Silver badge

as a technical challenge

see if you can make a web form that submits votes without needing javascript....

1. Aaron Em
      Facepalm

Re: as a technical challenge

1996 called -- they want their state of the art back.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: as a technical challenge

They did?

Did you warn them about Haiti, the Japanese tsunami and the twin towers?

No?

Bastard.

with apologies to XKCD (http://xkcd.com/875/)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

Re: Re: Re: as a technical challenge

Sorry, there was only just time to tell them to skip Vista and go for the next one before we got cut off.

2. Neil Greatorex
          Unhappy

Re: Re: Re: as a technical challenge

Please stop posting links to xkcd comics, they're generally neither funny, relevant nor well drawn.

PS They're also not "obligatory"

1. amanfromearth

xkcd !

If you don't think they are funny, then, er well you should

The period one

Homeopathy

The computer one

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Re: as a technical challenge

You should stop posting. xkcd isn't just a comic - frequently the commonalities expressed through said comic are quite apt.

1. Aaron Em

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: as a technical challenge

Indeed! Today's XKCD, for example, is a particularly fine example of subtlety on the part of Mr. Monroe -- I mean, you can totally enjoy the comic without it, but ordinary people would never spot that those are actually least terns, and that Stickman Beret is going to be looking at some pretty stiff fines for interfering with the protected nesting areas of an endangered seabird.

2. Neil Greatorex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: as a technical challenge

As is Dennis the Menace I suspect, to an 8 year old.

1. hplasm
                FAIL

Ah, I see- you dont Understand....

Just say you don't get it then. No shame in that.

Or are you just being Victor Mature?

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

@ Neil Greatorex

I believe you missed either or all notices on xkcd pages:

"Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors)."

And contrarily to what you think, XKCD strips _are_ indeed quite masterfully drawn, in a form-meets-function way. Drop you prejudice and browse the XKCD archives, you may be surprised.

PS they are also most obligatory. No quotes.

1. Neil Greatorex
              FAIL

Re: @ Neil Greatorex

I didn't miss them, and as I posted earlier, Dennis the Menace is a masterclass in humour - for an 8 year old.

If you want to define yourself via the medium of a crappy web comic, so be it. Your choice.

As to "obligatory", so is dog shite to your average hiker.

2. Audrey S. Thackeray

I don't trust the Reg enough to let it run scripts on my machines either.

Tinfoilhattardery it may be but that's how it is.

1. Aaron Em

Re: Re: as a technical challenge

"I don't trust the Reg enough to let it run scripts on my machines either."

OK, but why expect the Reg to solve a problem for you that you've created for yourself?

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Not running Reg scripts.

@Aaron Em

OK, but why expect the Reg to solve a problem for you that you've created for yourself?

I didn't ask them to.

I don't see it as a problem.

-

@Drewc

But let me guess, you want 110% of everything we have to offer, for free...

Not as much of it as that but you are right, in the end I probably wouldn't pay for any of it.

I'd imagine this is one of the great frustrations of trying to make a living on the internet and I sympathise, but not to the extent that I'd change how I behave. Sorry.

I promise I'll give any ideas you come up with for funding the site real consideration - I might go for a (very) cheap subscription to an ad-free Register for example.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't trust thereg enough to run their js code" ..

But let me guess, you want 110% of everything we have to offer,  for free...

Yes, tin-foil hat madness and no mistake about that.

1. Vic

Re: I don't trust thereg enough to run their js code" ..

> you want 110% of everything we have to offer, for free...

Yes. And a cherry.

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

Sabroni, You are being quite the troll.

We could support a "poll" system that didn't require javascript, for more work and a crappier UI, to please a tiny fraction of our readership.

Get Twitter and Google Docs to turn off js and we may have a re-think...

1. Windrose
        WTF?

Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

"We could support a "poll" system that didn't require javascript, for more work and a crappier UI"

Yeah. Or not. People have created "poll" systems before which didn't require JS, didn't take more work (honestly? You've never actually WRITTEN JS, have you?), and had nicer UIs.

Don't take your incompetence out on others. It's embarassing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

You are quite right that I haven't written JS.

But I employ highly competent people who do - and I am happy to shield them from rude people like you.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Re: Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

Using javascript to submit a form is over-engineering. It's not a big deal, it was just a flippant comment based on being presented with a big black square where a form was supposed to be.

The number of people on this site who use noscript is surely greater than on most sites, why aren't they considered when you specify a voting form?

Do highly competent web programmers use javascript when html will do the job just a well? Why?

Yeah, I'm trolling, maybe you shouldn't all have bitten in the first place?

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
              FAIL

Re: Re: Re: Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

"The number of people on this site who use noscript is surely greater than on most sites, why aren't they considered when you specify a voting form?"

Why would The Register give a toss what people who have deliberately disabled the advertising that pays their damned wages think? You're getting content for free. Until you start paying for it, you don't get a vote. Ever.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

@Sean Timarco Baggaley, 24th feb 17:23

Noscript doesn't stop the adverts on the register, just stops them dancing. They are still clickable! I guess that shows that you can achieve useful stuff without Javascript....

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: ~2000 votes so far cannot be wrong, can they... can they?

> We could support a "poll" system that didn't require javascript, for more work and a crappier UI, to please a tiny fraction of our readership.

Well, that hypothetical version might cope better with multiple votes, if you see what I mean (and I think you do). I won't abuse it, as it's against my principles and the poll is not an exercise in democracy anyway, but there is a serious hole in the voting system.

> Get Twitter and Google Docs to turn off js and we may have a re-think...

If I may, I don't think that is a valid argument for some of the core ElReg audience (me included). However tiny it might be in terms of revenue...

That said, your website, your rules.

4. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Pint

Oh don't be silly. If even I, Grand Advocate of Text Browsing, Head Slayer of Anything Unnecessarily Fancy and Great Knight of the Hollier than Thou Order, can make an exception and let that one implementation of The Infamous JS Monster get through, so can you.

Here, have a cold one to soothe your anguish.

3. Goldmember
    Facepalm

"a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain"

Just about sums up the userbase of Twatter, does it not?

Lighten up, commentards.

Sincerely,

Unoffended UK user.

1. bonkers
      Happy

Re: "a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain"

Could we respectfully adopt the use of "twitbook" account, when referring to either twitter or facebook?

1. VinceH

Re: Re: "a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain"

I like "Fatter+" as a generic term for social media sites - derived from Facebook, Twitter & Google+

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Re: "a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain"

Nope, Twatter is about right. You can be respectful to the Twats if you want, but you'll be in a minority around here. Also, in this context, "Twitbook" wouldn't work as it wouldn't identify which it was.

1. bonkers
          Happy

Re: Re: Re: "a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain"

That's my point - I don't care, nor even understand, which is which.

"Twitbook share auction raises $400million" - sure you can read the article and work out which of the two applies, but would it really matter?

4. Leo Maxwell
    Coat

offensive, no

Just rather childish, and really quite sad.

I don't find "Freetard" offensive, but I do find it irritating, and would rather it was shown the door.

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Re: offensive, no

"I don't find "Freetard" offensive, but I do find it irritating..."

How about 'Freeskate'?

Or, of course, we could just go back to using "miser".

2. NomNomNom

Re: offensive, no

I once kicked a retard in the face and I can assure you it's no laughing matter

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@NomNomNom

I can only assume that you are very flexible to have managed that. Do you work in a circus?

5. Owen Carter
    Go

Go for it!

Freetard? Moi? ... grins.

Actually, I really like it. More than once I've thought of having it on a t-Shirt.

But I think for the sake of fairness the principle could be expanded, 'Paytard' is a good start but round there there is also room for 'Articletards', 'Reviewtards', 'Apptards', 'SEOtards', lots of variants on 'Mototards, Googtards, RIMtard (oh-err), and 'GrannySmithtards'.

And finally, dare I say it and get banned, 'Moderatards'?

1. Goldmember
      Thumb Up

Re: Go for it!

Don't for get 'pedantard'.

By the way Drew, you missed a comma in the title of the story.

Just saying.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Go for it!

And Operatard, Mozillatard...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

And tard-tard?

1. Owen Carter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

One of the all-time classic errors from PHP:

Warning "array_merge_recursive(): recursion detected"

That made me say something similar to 'tard-tard-tard'..

1. Neil Greatorex

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

Or the classic NT error message:

Insufficient space to delete files, try deleting files to make space, Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again*

*or something like that, memory fails....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Go for it!

Do you not mean 'forget', not 'for get' ?

- a fellow pedantard.

1. Goldmember
          Thumb Up

Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

Touché, sir! Perhaps we should add 'typotard' to the list as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

Hoistwithhisownpetard

1. Chrome

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Go for it!

Thanks guys, now I keep thinking a leotard is someone fanatical about lions

2. Chris Leeson

Re: Go for it!

"And finally, dare I say it and get banned, 'Moderatards'?"

In one case it used to be Moderatrix... I miss the old days...

For the FOTW competitors, how about Cuss-tard?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.