back to article Mobile internet devices to outnumber humans this year

The number of mobile devices will outstrip the global population in 2012, according to Cisco’s latest Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast. The company predicts that the number of mobile devices, including those for purely machine-to-machine contact, will pass the human population this year – and there will be over 10 billion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony Reeves 1
    WTF?

So What?

We have been outnumbered by grains of sand, litres of water in the oceans, number of birds (avian variety) for many years, why should this make a difference?

1. dotdavid
      WTF?

Exactly

You fleshy meatbags have nothing to fear; this is perfectly innocent and normal. Continue your disgusting meat-based existence; there is nothing to see here.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

21st December 2012

Coincidence this is the prophesied end of the world?

3. JetSetJim
    Stop

Surprise

Cisco predicts huge exponential traffic growth. Cisco sell backbone routers. Conflict of interest much?

I suspect the predictions don't take into account data caps introduced by operators so that they don't have to buy quite so much expensive kit to service that top 1%.

4. Martijn Bakker
    Holmes

Statistics and predictions

An unfounded prediction by a company who stand much to gain if telco's decide to upgrade their infrastructure to adapt to the predicted rise in bandwidth required.

If they were selling pigfood, they'd probably predict a tenfold increase in demand for pork by 2013. That doesn't mean it's going to happen.

All this says is that Cisco would like to stay in business.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Well, that's me puzzled.

"...including those for purely machine-to-machine contact..."

I was sort of wondering how we could get more mobile devices than people, 'til I saw that. Which begs a question: Why are we building machines to carry mobile devices around?

More importantly, do machines prefer iOS or Android devices? Are we fitting mobile carrying machines with flamethrowers so that they can discuss the merits in the approved fashion?

6. Anonymous John

Mobile phone, Android tablet, and two ereaders. The last three of which are mobile Internet enabled thanks to a Three MiFi thingie. Oh and two laptops. The rest of the world has some catching up to do.

7. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Ah Cisco. The name always reminds of this cartoon:

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2000-09-26/

8. Doug Glass
    Go

Oh hell yes, ...

... all the sheeple who keep buying and activating them are helping in fueling my cushy retirement in the great circle of [business] life.

Thank you, thank you very much.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha!

As soon as I read "Skynet’s plans proceeding well", I started to laugh!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like