back to article Asus Transformer Prime tablet reboot fix fails to show

Asus has apologised for the Eee Pad Transformer Prime tablet firmware update no-show and pledge to get the code out soon. The patch, intended to fix the Prime's random reboot bug, was due to have been posted last week. On Friday, Asus said the the code was "rolling out". But the update did not materialise - due to "a couple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dotter

"And the company re-iterated its plan to release Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the tablet later this month."

That would be for the original Transformer. The Prime already has 4.0 on it.

As for the late update, this seems to be down to issues Americans are having with it (if the posts on XDA are any guide).

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The issues being.

They were down the pub on a Friday afternoon and really couldn't give a crap if users had to wait a few more days for it...

Come on Asus, this sort of attitude is how companies fall from grace very quickly in the non-tolerant Internet age.

1. Dotter

Actually, they're fixing problems that came to light when the update was released in the US. If anything, the Americans who got it first got a bad deal, not us.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Asus has been in denial for a long time

Asus doesn't actually believe in Bugs. These malfunctions are a "feature" of their products...

4. James Whale

ICS is already on the Prime - it was this update that intriduced the random reboot bug in the first place.

The delay is almost certainly due to the issues caused by the US release, the Americans having acted almost as beta testers for the 9.4.2.13 update. Although for many it has fixed the random reboot issue, there are reports that some people with previously-perfect Primes are now suffering from wake-up lag / sleep of death issues (tablet takes ages to wake up, or won't wake from sleep without a reboot) and a significantly faster-draining battery. Some suspect this is because Asus appear to have increased the minimum idle clock speed from 102MHz to 475MHz per core, so even when the tab is asleep the Tegra 3 cores aren't able to power down anywhere near as low as they could before.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

The problem is of course

the amount of bedroom "experts" on XDA that are sure to muddy any waters.... The amount of bullshit that floods out of the XDA bedroom expert mouths is enough to worry a large city....

5. Giles Jones Gold badge

If they are similar to other vendors they're most likely too busy working on the next device and will fix the current one when they have a free moment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...if they feel like it.

Asus might fix the product defects if and when they feel like it - if they can figure out a means. Don't stand by the phone!

6. glinkot
    FAIL

Precedent isn't great

Yep - ASUS products offer great specs for the $ in many cases. I bought a high spec gaming laptop (G73JH) 18 months ago for hundreds less than comparable offerings. The issue being the minor but irritating bugs that never quite get ironed out. Trawling through forum posts for 'unofficial' (ie unsupported except on the forum thread) fixes from one of their reps gets tiring.

Example of the sequence 'out of the factory' issues to be dealt with:

- Keyboard missing every 20th stroke due to hardware conflict

- total freezeup when using newer video drivers, requiring flashing of bios and video card bios

- keyboard lights not working after said update, requiring more f'n about to resolve

- touchpad working erratically or refusing to work at all, no good fix for that one yet

Kill me now! I was very close to buying the prime, but seeing this again makes me realise I was stupid last time when some of the early users reported the above, and I thought 'ah, they'll fix those!'

7. tonyoung
    WTF?

Strange ...

.... my TF101 works perfectly, every time, every day.

8. Tony Paulazzo
    Unhappy

Could this be a hardware problem, as in unfixable via software patch? Thank Christ there's been none in stock. How could something like this get thru' hardware testing & design?

9. dmedesha
    Thumb Up

USA TF201.

My TF201 in the USA updated to ICS 4.0.3 in January when I first received it. The only hardware issue I've run into is it turns on when I connect the charger. But my Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.2 does the same thing. Have not seen any random reboots (knocks-on-wood, throws-salt-over-the-shoulder, etc.)

There was supposed to be a root patch pushed out on the 12th that did not materialize. To be honest, the thing works well enough for me I don't really care to root it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like