1. jake Silver badge

TV?

You mean that dusty box next to the front door that catches snail mail, keys & dog leashes, with the remote control cobwebbed to the top?

It hasn't been used for years. Does it really need it's own section?

1. saundby

Re: TV?

Mine plays World of Warcraft when I get sick of buffer underflows on Hulu and Netflix. I don't get a usable OTA signal here, and I've been here for 15 years now. It's pretty much disks for us, or internet if my neighbor isn't destroying my bandwidth with P2P.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Apparently...

... lots of people still have one and use it.

How else do you explain "reality TV shows"?

1. jake Silver badge

@ Sean Timarco Baggaley

Actually, it was the heavily scripted, massively over-produced so-called "reality" TV that finally pushed me into ignoring DearOldTelly.

I'll admit to eyeballing the Channel 2 (KTVU) and channel 7 (KGO) news here in the SF Bay Area on occasion. But that's via TehIntraWebTubes, not the television.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TV - who watches it?

Build it and if they don't come - kill it.

Plenty of Reg readers have opinions to express on Dr Who, Battlestar Galactica, Space 1999, crap reality shows, and so on. We'll find out soon enough if they want to express opinions here.

1. jake Silver badge

Just trying to ...

... start the conversation, Drew.

As I said (paraphrasing, because I can't be arsed to find my original post) "I'm still iffy on the whole "user generated forums" concept ... Seems to me that that, combined with auto-moderation and bloody awful ransom note HTML-ish lack of user design will keep the moderators busier than before."

I speak as an aging, jaded Usenet and mailing list moderator. But hey, if it works here on ElReg, who am I to argue :-)

4. Lannister
    Angel

Game of Thrones

The only thing I'm watching on TV right now is Game of Thrones. I've been obsessed with the books for years, and now I'm revelling in the TV series.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Game of Thrones

Yup, ruddy marvellous.

My only gripe with the new series is that they just had to fuck around and re-orchestrate the theme music. The original had the most fantastic impact to it and was one of the best opening themes of all time IMHO. The new version's just sort of, er, "limp" (for want of a better term) by comparison.

The original was one of the very few things that had me making a point of sitting through the opening credits, even when watching on PVR and having the option of skipping 'em.

Someone at HBO needs to be sent a plaque with; "If it ain't broke, don't bloody fix it!" on it to hang on their wall.

1. jake Silver badge

A mere shadow of Roger's "Amber" series.

Pardon me, I'm off to grab a bucket of Kentucki Fried Lizzard Partes ...

2. Lannister

"Someone at HBO needs to be sent a plaque with; "If it ain't broke, don't bloody fix it!" on it to hang on their wall."

Agreed! Though I did enjoy some of the fan-created versions that were posted on YouTube.

3. Roger Varley

New Series? Damn - missed that. Where's it being shown?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Game of Thrones

In UK? Sky Atlantic HD.

1. Tony Smith, Ed, Reg Hardware

Series two has definitely upped the sh*tting and f*cking quotient.

And my missus still refuses to watch it - insists it's just more hordes of Orcs.

1. John Sager

My daughter enthused about the books, so I read the first one. Got a bit bored eventually and the woman who 'married' 'Ghengis Khan' hatching dragons finished me off. I could no longer suspend disbelief. Since we don't have Sky I dunno if it comes across any better on TV.

5. Jacqui

We have FreesatHD

after a period of well over five years without a goggle box - this has hundreds of channels and there are still evening when we just want to watch somethign and there is "nothing on".

Thankfully we have a few terabytes of recordings and our DVD collection that means we usually have whatever we want to watch already stored and prolly in a higher quality than issues by the likes ofthe beeb.

Our TV licence has been renewed but only for six months. After that we are seriously considering uninstalling the freesatHD system and giving it to a friend who has reception problems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon