back to article IT guy answers daughter's Facebook rant by shooting her laptop

An angry American IT pro has responded to a rude Facebook post from his daughter by riddling her laptop with a fusillade of bullets and posting video of the shooting on YouTube. Here it is, with the incensed dad leading in by reading out the offending Facebook post and offering a few points in response before emptying his . …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SuperNintendoChalmers
    Coffee/keyboard

Yeeeee HA!

You just have to take your hat off to the man's work. Outstanding.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge
      Thumb Up

Re: the man's work

Outstanding, indeed. Very few journalists could have concluded such an article with a couple of paragraphs discussing the finer points of what sort of bullet to use when shredding a laptop. El Reg's strength in depth really shines through here.

Oh yeah, and the dad did a good job too.

1. Nuke
        Meh

@ Ken Hagen

It was worth the "couple of paragraphs" because "exploding bullets" would generally raise eyebrows. I found the idea of using exploding bullets more engrossing than anything else in the story.

For one thing, in the video they did not appear to explode.

For another thing, they are banned by international law - last time I looked anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

@ItsNotMe

It is nice to see an intelligent point of view argued with such eloquence.

1. Jean-Luc
            Trollface

@It is nice to see an intelligent point of view argued with such eloquence.

Ah, I get it, Titus. You were being facetiously tongue-in-cheek on your first post as well.

Silly me, thinking you didn't understand the kid was a spoiled brat.

2. Almost Me
          Headmaster

Reply to post: @Nuke

@Nuke

"For one thing, in the video they did not appear to explode.

For another thing, they are banned by international law - last time I looked anyway."

Actually exploding bullets are only banned in warfare under the Hague Convention of 1899.

Police, hunters, and irate fathers still get to use them.

3. Burkhard Kloss

> For another thing, they are banned by international law - last time I looked anyway.

Only for warfare.

4. Ron Christian

not banned, just not easily accessible

True exploding bullets are classed as destructive devices as far as I know, and are difficult to own if you're a private citizen, but not banned by international law.

I read an article awhile back about ammunition being evaluated by air marshals. They had an explosive charge not to inflict additional damage but to insure the slug fragmented against the wall of the airplane instead of punching through. Now that I think of it, I have a vague memory that this is what President Reagan was shot with back in 1981.

1. Zippy the Pinhead

Hollow points are quite easy to obtain. They are banned for warfare... but if you are allowed to purchase a gun and they make hollow points in that caliber then you can purchase them. They may cost you extra but that's about it.

5. Zippy the Pinhead

They were hollow points.. some people call them exploding rounds. I believe in the video he called them exploding hollow point rounds.

1. JEDIDIAH
            Devil

Liberal media bias.

This is the problem with leaving gun discussions to people that refuse to know anything about guns. It's like having Apple users design electronics. If you are willfully ignorant, perhaps you should just STFU. I don't have a clue. You don't even want one.

One important characteristic of hollow point rounds is that they don't ricochet.

That whole "exploding bullet" thing ensures that you don't have stray rounds flying off and hitting something or someone that was not intended.

Some might view the lack of stray bullets bouncing around as a safety feature.

2. Captain Scarlet
      Boffin

What if you have no hat?

I'll waive my hammer instead.

/me goes around rampaging against with the hammer smashing everything in sight and then blame it on the YouTube Video.

1. LarsG

No

Political correctness here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. AdamWill

What if you have no hat?

"What if you have no hat?"

Then you're a symptom of the tragic decline of sartorial standards, that's what. Go and buy one, immediately. Buy several. And for pity's sake, not a baseball cap.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

@Jean-Luc

Yep. Having also now read Tommy Jordans Facebook page, I can fully understand his actions. I'm not sure if shooting her lap top is going to have the desired affect, but it makes a lot of sense. The 'entitlement generation' need to learn actions have consequences.

Roll on the 51st State, and the adoption of the 2nd Amendment.

3. Andrew Moore

His laidback, languid delivery plus his cigarette reminded me of a 70s era Dave Allen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Disgraceful

What a way to treat you own children. How are they supposed to learn from this sort of behaviour. Additionally I personally fear for the state of this oppressed teenagers self esteem.

Good grief.

1. Bill Neal
          Devil

@Titus

You missed the point. She obviously had TOO MUCH esteem without the intelligence to support it. All the willpower in the world will not help much, if you don't know what you're doing.

2. The People

so far from the dis-likes of your comment, i can see we have 51 reasons why the world is in a shit place. Most parents are dreadful such as this pathetic red neck.

3. Ron Christian
          Thumb Up

Re: Disgraceful

I can't tell if you're kidding.

Lessee, she learned that the things that parents give her over and above what's strictly necessary as a parent can be taken away at any time. She learned that if she flames someone in a public forum, she shouldn't be surprised if they return in kind. And she learned that if she wants her own laptop, she can buy one.

And finally, she learned that dissing your sysadmin is probably a bad idea.

Valuable lessons which will help her in the real world.

1. boh

You obviously don't have children. Nor does any of you morons who think this is a great reply. If you think you teach a child how to behave by using a gun then you I suggest you should not have children. I don't know where to start, people suggesting what ammo to use? If anyone of you even remotly think that a child raised in this manner will have a relatoinship with their parents worth having after moving away from home then you are not real.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
              FAIL

RE: boh

"You obviously don't have children...." Wrong, and that's just for starters. You are obviously just on an anti-gun rant and haven't put any actual thought into your post beyond the knee-jerk "gun=BAD", I suggest you go away, calm down and then try a rational argument.

2. Jean-Luc
              Thumb Down

@boh >You obviously don't have children

Guess I'll run off and get a paternity test on my two offsprings now.

The gun makes it dramatic, yes. But that's not the point, especially not if, as seems very likely from the video, the kid wasn't there to see the "execution". Focusing on the gun is for idiots, i.e., you. What gives you the right to tell us whether we should have children or not?

The point is that sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand. That doesn't _always_ mean discussing and reasoning with the kids, unlike what you'll see on Oprah. Sometimes you can reason, sometimes you have to get their attention. Sometimes you have to be a parent.

To date, I've thrown two $18.99 PS3 games of my 8 yr old son's in the thrash. Not a $700 laptop, but same principle. He had plenty of warnings, but ignored them. Amazing how it resets his behavior. Fear not, he still gets plenty of hugs at other times. My daughter's tally? 3 used Archie comics, once, 5 yrs ago.

Nuke the laptop? Heck, yes, but I would have given it away to the Salvation Army or somesuch.

Bottom line: go and sing Kumbaya with your kids if that's your thing.

1. Decius
                Flame

@jean-luc

There's a huge difference between the lesson "You have no property rights and if you don't submit to me your toys will be thrown away" and "You have no property rights and if you don't submit to and respect me at all times I will use firearms to reinforce my authority".

I disagree with you on the 'minors have no property rights' portion of the discussion, but acknowledge that a reasonable person can disagree with me on that issue. I disagree strongly on the point that '"I will use firearms to reinforce my authority" is an acceptable part of parenting', and I claim that no person who believes "using firearms in anger and acceptable parenting are compatible" is reasonable.

1. Denarius
                  FAIL

Re: @jean-luc anger ?

where ? Father /read as calm, controlled and reasoned, unlike most anti-gun nuts. BTW, I don't own one either.

3. David Beck

Another POV

You make the assumption that her parents wish to maintain a relationship once their legal obligations are ended.

4. henrydddd
          Childcatcher

Tough love for a teenager sometimes works better than a penitentiary when they grow up.

1. Local Group

RE henrydddd

Euthanasia is faster and cheaper. :-)

5. toadwarrior

Graceful!

It's not disgraceful at all. Perhaps he took a bit too much pleasure in it but she was being a spoiled little brat. She was asking to have it taken away.

6. Zippy the Pinhead
          FAIL

Read his FB page and you will see that his daughter DID agree with the punishment! She came to the conclusion after reading that he got 96% positive feedback on how he resolved this.

4. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

I am the opposite - I think this displays admirably why some people should not be allowed to own weapons.

What a twonk..

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

RE: Jim Booth

".....I think this displays admirably why some people should not be allowed to own weapons....." I suspect you actually don't want anyone to own a firearm. He's shooting his own property (he paid for the laptop, not his daughter), and on his land, in a manner unlikley to cause injury or damage to anyone else (other than his daughter's overblown ego), and in an area where that kind of action is quite legal. TBH, with the littlest of respect, you can go take a running jump.

Whilst I would suggest NOT shooting it on the ground (a round could ricochet off a stone and hit the shooter or some other unintended target), and I'd probably advise against shooting it so close incase a ricochet or fragments came off one of the more solid components (like the battery or hard-drive), I'd say it's an otherwise entertaining display of shooting, and a lot more fitting than the usual shooting at cans, bottles or roadsigns. Personally, I'd just have sold her laptop and kept the cash.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Megaphone

I sincerely hope you are not a parent or plan to be. If you think this instils discipline by being a childish asshole and shooting her laptop then then I worry for you - I really do. I also sincerely hope that you are not in charge of any firearms either. Its assholes like this that end up using a firearm in a situation were it is not warranted and before you know it is on the six a clock news for blowing some poor sod away.

For your information, no, I am not anti-gun - I am just anti dickhead owning a weapon.

1. Feralmonkey
            Trollface

so I assume you don't own a weapon?

2. MooseNC
          Thumb Up

Re: RE: Jim Booth

It was a DV4/6, possibly a late model DV6000. The thing would have died in a few months anyways from the NB desoldering itself from the MB. Anyways, no worries about shrapnel, the plastics on those models are pretty soft and there was WAY too much down force for anything to blast back up.

I truly hope the "Little American Princess" has learned her lesson and stopped following the ways of the dark Ladies (Paris, Kim, etc...).

She should thank God everyday that he didn't pop one of those rounds into her ass.

2. steogede

What difference

What difference does it make that he used a gun? If he had used a hammer, would that be a reason for some people not owning hammers? What if he had sold it on eBay? What if he had confiscated it and stored it in a safe?

If you think what he did was wrong (and I'm haven't made my mind up) - surely that is more of a reason why some people should not be allowed to 'own' children.

1. Zippy the Pinhead

As if destroying a laptop with a hammer isn't just as violent if not more. It also risk more injury from flying debris. Read his comments on his FB page... Even his daughter agreed with her punishment. She wasn't abused and she wasn't scarred for life.

5. Allison Park
      FAIL

Hope he locks up that gun

Things like that are why kids shoot their parents. What is did is even worse than his daughters immature rant. Looks like she will be scared for life until she finds a man 5-20 years older to get back at her father.

1. wayward4now
        Paris Hilton

...after the daughter calls the cops to tell them how Dad has touched her in the NO! places. She'll be off of restriction LONG before he get's out of prison. By the time he does get out, he will have learned that in the long run it would have been FAR cheaper to have bought her a Corvette, to go along with that laptop and let her boyfriend sleep over and drink up all the beer in the house.

Ole Dad, you will most likely be served in the near future. A 15 year old girl will hurt you ...BAD! :)

1. toadwarrior
          Thumb Down

She better be able to prove it because it will be her that will be in a world of pain if caught out for lying about something serious like that.

I know women think it's acceptable to lie about rape or molesting but it's not and they deserve everything that happens to them when they're caught out.

2. 404
    Childcatcher

Heh

This just makes me smile - although using a 12guage with 00buck would have been more satisfying. says a little about his daughter's intelligence too - my kids know I can break any security they have.

:)

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Mushroom

Pistol-packing Cowboy IT Dads of the world, unite!

12 gauge was my first thought as well, or maybe a 500 S&W... Either way, well done! Teach that kid to mess with Pistol-packing Cowboy IT Dad!

Nuclear exlosion because he was *that* close to one himself!

1. Gil Grissum
        Pint

12 Gauge with Double Ought Buck indeed. That would have been far more entertaining. Where did this take place? Texas? This girl won't be dating until she moves out of the house. LOL!!!

2. Mike 29
      Trollface

Nice grouping, but he probably missed the hdd.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hard drives are expensive

I could think of at least 6 different things I could do with an extra 2.5"

I say he missed on purpose :P

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"I could think of at least 6 different things I could do with an extra 2.5"

fnarr fnarr :)

Don't underestimate bludgeoning instruments as well. My wife killed my last laptop with a baseball bat (along with a few DVD's after shouting pull prior to each toss/swing).

1. Ron Christian

RE: Sir

Is it on youtube?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

@Ron

Is it on youtube?

Sadly not. I came home to find it non-functional in a kind of had it's 'middle punched through to it's backside' kind of way and bits of DVD embedded in the walls. I gather my wife is an expert baseball bat wielder, I didn't push for video evidence.

2. Dick Pountain

Nice Grouping?

Yeah, that worried me too - I'd have spread em out like a domino rather than grouping in the middle. Though of course I do sort of disapprove of shooting up your children's stuff

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Though of course I do sort of disapprove of shooting up your children's stuff

Yeah, as an adult you should really be buying your own shit.

JOKE! Take it from the kids every time :P

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like