back to article Yahoo! revenues! continue! to! decline!

Yahoo! has released disappointing results for its fourth quarter, with earnings down 5 per cent and revenues falling a further 13 points. Revenues excluding traffic acquisition costs (TAC) fell three per cent to $1.17bn, compared to $1.21bn this time last year, although income from operations did increase by 10 per cent to $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

*Bing!*

I was typing a long crystal-ball-analysis of the seach engine market but the missus yanked the leash. Suffice to say, Yahoo is the new AOL. More on El Reg Forum space soon, hopefully.

I need to go nowooorrgh...

2. Vic

What does Yahoo! do these days, anyway?

$1.2B is quite a lot of money; how do they earn it?

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo in non-English markets

I know from personal experience that yahoo.com.tw is the preferred home page if a significant proportion of Taiwanese. Most of them head over to google when they want to search.

Can anybody explain why TAC are excluded? Is that just to make the revenue figure look better?

4. meteort
    WTF?

Big in Japan too

Seems to be the #1 screen that disappears as soon as the boss walks by our incredibly small desks in Tokyo. Why do the Japanese love Yahoo!? I have yet to find the answer.

5. Killraven

T! I! T! L! E! S!

Do! you! have! any! idea! how! annoying! these! titles! are! to! read! when! you! were! properly! educated! prior! to! the! advent! of! text! messaging!

The+ new+ google+ junk+ is+ starting+ out+ to+ be+ annoying+ also+.

Thank+ you!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uphill battle for new Yahoo CEO

First of all he's going to have to undo all the damage done by that incompetent twat Carol Bartz.

Also, Yahoo should go back to its roots: simple and efficient. Take a look at Yahoo Japan, and learn from it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gotta love 'business speak':

"...In 2012 we will be aligning resources behind key areas of focus to enable us to move aggressively in market..."

Translation: Quick. Lets sell some shit, before we go bust!

As others have said, how exactly do Yahoo! make their money these days, anyway? Even back in the pre-Google era, their search engine was a poor second to Alta Vista. Nowadays, the only time they cross my radar is when Google search results turn up some "Yahoo! Answers" —a service which would be more accurately named "Yahoo! Completely Fuckwitted and Uneducated Guesswork".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quick - let's copy Yahoo!

Note to all Google Employees:

Starting in MArch we're moving our business model to follow Yahoo - with our new "portal" approach we'll keep our clean search page and combine all the data at the back-end. We'll! be! wildly! successful!

Larry

2. KayKay

guess again.......

Yahoo Answers is not a service.

It is a site where 20 million users enjoy asking questions and giving answers/replies/responses. They do it for the sake of doing the activity, NOT for you to learn from.

It is an online version of neighbours asking advice over the back fence or in the pub (although, strangely, the rules prohibit "chatting").

It is very light on advertising, so probably doesn't make much for Yahoo. BUT it brings them a lot of traffic they can convert to email, home page, news and other views. It's really an SEO trap.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawho?

Who?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like