nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Bug: Browser goes into loop

This topic is closed for new posts.

Browser gores into loop

In "Welcome To The Latest Forum Features" I clicked withdraw on a topic - "Line Endings" - which I had created in that forum, was presented with a withdraw screen and, when I clicked "Back to the forum" the browser flashed and redrew the screen again and again. When I closed it down and restarted it and re-entered this form the topic was still there but couldn't be replied to.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

(Written by Reg staff)

Overly long URLs

We really could do with something that captures those, if we miss them. I don't like overflowing text.

Vic

> the browser flashed and redrew the screen again and again

I get something similar when I click the "in reply to" link.

It makes using the "newest" ordering rather tricky - especially when people don't quote any of the post they're referring to...

Vic.

Gold badge

What browser / version / OS are you using?

Vic

> What browser / version / OS are you using?

Currently Firefox 3.6.24 on Fedora 14, also running Flashblock[1].

The problem is something to do with the Javascript that replaces the banner at the top with a big Flash advert. That's the bit that oscillates.

Vic.

[1] I always used to allow Flash on sites like ElReg, because I understand you need to run ads like that to keep the revenue lowing in. But then it got *so* intrusive, it had to go...

Gold badge

Since there was alreay a topic about this, I'm posting here.

I've just got the same behaviour. I went to the fanboi topic and posted about my experience with ostrich (don't ask!)

Before posting, I sorted by most recent article first, if that makes any difference, and once I'd posted, I got the dreaded loop.

Running XP-Pro, and IE8. It doesn't have any plugins for blocking adverts or whatnot, and it doesn't have flash either.

Vic

> I sorted by most recent article first

That's the boy.

I just got a loop clicking the "in reply to" link whilst in "newest" sort order.

Copying that link, switching to "threaded" mode, then pasting the link into the address bar got me what I wanted.

It's a bug...

Vic.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re:

Thanks for the catch - have forwarded to bugmeister Murray

Gold badge
Coat

You're welcome; we are all doing this to help.

Now what extra super-power or level does this open up for us? We need rewards Maw haw haw haw

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re:

What rewards do you suggest? Money is of course out of the question ...

This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing