back to article Davos report: Cyber-attack risk to global stability is real

Cyber-attacks against governments and businesses are among the top five risks in the world in terms of likelihood, according to the startlingly obvious World Economic Forum's (WEF) Global Risks for 2012 report. According to the international organisation, famous for its annual conferences held in the Swiss resort of Davos, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek

"Cyber-attacks - from sabotage to espionage - come in at number four of the risks most likely to materialise"

Um, these HAVE materialised and are ongoing ....

2. Muckminded
    Mushroom

And yet, the fact that Hostess, manufacturer of Twinkies, has gone belly-up twice in a handful of years doesn't even make their list? Pitiful bureaucrats have no idea where their post-apocalyptic nutrition-like sustenance is coming from. Typical ivory tower, caviar and cyber-doomsday fools.

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Big Brother

I for one welcome our neofeudal overlords...

"While most of us don't feel that wage inequality is quite as bad as when the world had serfs"...it's certainly going in the right direction.

To paraphrase Warren Buffett, "There is a class war, and the rich are winning."

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Unhappy

Ohhh.. nooo....

"Boogeyman-du-jour comes just behind economic fears about income disparity and fiscal imbalances, and concern about rising greenhouse gas emissions."

No mention about the actual economic meltdown and the evils of paper money, fractional bank reserves an the destabilizing effect of central banks? Ah, but that would be challenging to the current order of the clowns. Better look into uh ... cyberterrorists and global warming. Enlightening.

Le résumé de la situation -> http://mises.org/daily/5837/Some-Additional-Reflections-on-the-Economic-Crisis-and-the-Theory-of-the-Cycle

5. Phoenix50
    Thumb Up

I am the only one...

...who read the headline as "Davros reports: Cybermen attack".

Though quite why he'd be bothered about the Cybermen is beyond me.

1. Shonko Kid
      Facepalm

Only reason I opened the article. Nowhere near as interesting as I'd expected it to be.

6. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Alert

Paraphrasing: It's all our fault.

Since the Davos meetings are where unresponsive governments and that top 1% get together for a chin-wag, it seems rather extraordinary for them to conclude that the biggest facing the world is unresponsive governments and wealth disparities.

7. Graham Wilson
    Devil

Doesn't anyone still remember how smoothly infrastructure worked before the Internet?

I'm damn well fed up about hearing how the 'world will end' when cyber attacks cause catastrophic failures in infrastructure.

We managed the Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution, most of the 20th Century, put men on the moon and, very 'successfully', ran World Wars I and II--100 million dead 'tis proof enough--all WITHOUT the bloody Internet!

A long world history shows we don't need it to further fuck-up humankind, as we're already past masters.

So why do we now have to hand over all our critical infrastructure to control by the Internet and potentially make things worse? What's changed? Utilities still produce water, power etc. by the rules of science and engineering (as they always have). If we want stronger security then we just need to go back to these time-honored, well-proven ways of doing things before the Internet intervened. Until security is sufficiently evolved, leaving the Net to its seemingly better understood communications functions would make much better sense.

Right, everyone knows the real reasons why things are unlikely to ever revert back to the ways of yesteryear: the Internet is cheaper, employs fewer people, sounds nice, hip and techie and up to date. Ultimately, however, what's key is that its use ensures more profits end up in the pockets of that whingeing Davos Set.

...Still, they can't have it both ways--not yet anyway. So what's it to be first, security or profit?

If major cyber attacks actually happen then it's really our fault for letting these greedy cretins be mesmerized by security and IT services which are still immature.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like