back to article iPad SURVIVES FALL FROM SPACE

Rugged case manufacturer G-Form sought to prove its hardware protection credentials this week, launching an iPad into space before letting it plummet to Earth. Needless to say, the fondleslab survived the fall - we probably wouldn't write the story otherwise. The company wrapped an iPad in its Extreme Edge case and, using a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Oh yes you would!

To quote ElReg: "Rugged case manufacturer G-Form sought to prove its hardware protection credentials this week, launching an iPad into space before letting it plummet to Earth. Needless to say, the fondleslab survived the fall - we probably wouldn't write the story otherwise"

Yes you would, the headline would read:

"iPad falls from space and breaks into a gazillion pieces!"

Not because the fondleslab didn't survive the fall, but because it was actually in space!

1. ratfox
      Paris Hilton

Shirley he meant...

The guys doing the test would never have told anybody about it?

1. LarsG

Ok

But would it survive being shot!

2. Steve Knox
      Facepalm

Except...

G-Form probably wouldn't have told anyone about this if their case had failed to protect the iPad.

3. miknik
      FAIL

“As far as we know, this is the first iPad ever in space”

Thom Cafaro obviously isn't an El Reg regular

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/29/launch_televised_by_nasa/

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'd expect

something more along the lines of "Ultra-durable iPad can only be destroyed by DROPPING IT FROM SPACE".

2. TheOtherHobbbes

That'll be really useful

if I ever need to drop an iPad from a great height.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Like the BOFH might

But then he would let it drop on something soft (the head beancounter, the head of IT, the Boss, or the CEO, or anyone else who had got in the way of his plans (or just ticked him off)).

3. jai

So you should mount an iPad in your LOHAN craft and then could use Facetime to stream the video in real time :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would that be over the

100km WiFi connection they have, or using a spaceborne 3G network?

If it's either of them, they could save a LOT of cash and use almost any 3G phone from the last 10 years to do the same thing...

4. John Arthur
    Thumb Down

Terminal velocity

So what is the terminal velocity of the iPad in one of these cases? Probably fairly low as the case is presumably light and we all know the iPad is too. So dropping it from only 50 feet up might get it striking the Earth at the same speed anyway. Might even save wrecking a perfectly serviceable balloon as well. Sighs...

1. Jad
      Go

RE: Terminal velocity

but as they say, where's the fun in that?

I noticed that they designed it so that it came down on the back of the case, not on the glass front, which I'm guessing requires a reasonable height to get right (not so useful from your lap to a granite floor)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Duh!

They obviously use Toast Technology(tm), you know, the stuff that always makes it land sticky side down? Simples!

2. Steve Evans

Errrr....

I can only assume you're not familiar with the what would fall faster, a cannon ball or a feather saying?

Long and short of it is weight has nothing to do with it. Everything is subject to gravity, which with no external forces, will accelerate an object at 9.81m/s/s towards the earth. The external forces relevant in this situation would be friction, which can be greatly enhanced by the addition of a parachute, or even covering the case in deep pile carpet.

1. LaeMing
        Boffin

Weigh has nothing to do with it all-else being equal.

In an atmosphere, wind resistance to surface area DOES make a difference, which is why the hammer-and-feather thing was demonstrated on the moon - try it in your living room or off your balcony and you won't get the same result. That is what 'terminal velocity' is all about. If you want the cannonball thing to work down here, you need to pair it up with a same-size sphere of balsa wood (or polystyrine these days is even better).

Interesting asside: a mouse can fall (relatively) safely from any height as its terminal velocity is well below the point at which is would suffer major damage from hitting the ground.

1. Steve Evans

Which is what I said...

Weight does not come into it... Gravity on Earth accelerates the objects at 9.81m/s/s.

Friction acts in the opposite direction, against gravity.

Surface area is relevant (because of the friction from the air), weight isn't...

You can test it on earth, you just do it in a vacuum to remove the friction component.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No

Friction is not the opposite of gravity. We didn't get to the moon by the power of friction

2. ratfox
            Boffin

@Steve Evans: Sorry, weight does very much come into it

Terminal velocity is attained when the force of gravity is equal to the force of friction (i.e. the sum of forces is zero). It is correct that the force of friction does not depend on weight. However, the force of gravity does depend on weight – and so a heavy object will have to fall faster for both forces to be equal. Since the force of friction is roughly proportional to the square of speed, an object that is say four times heavier with the same surface will have a terminal velocity twice as fast.

That is, terminal velocity is the solution of the speed variable in this equation:

9.81 * weight = constant * surface * speed^2

1. Lallabalalla

Mathematically, terminal velocity—without considering buoyancy effects—is given by

Vt = Root( 2mg / (pACd) )

where

Vt = terminal velocity,

m = mass of the falling object,

g = acceleration due to gravity,

Cd = drag coefficient,

ρ = density of the medium through which the object is falling, and

A = projected area of the object.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
                Boffin

@Steve Evans, LaeMing and a host of others

FFS, is this really a techie forum?????????????????????

In scientific usage weight and mass are fundamentally different attributes; mass is an intrinsic property of matter and weight is a force that results from the action of gravity on mass.

Since Force = mass x Acceleration, Weight = mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and is measured in Newtons, mass

A falling object is therefore accelerating towards the earth and will continue to do so at initially 9.81 m/s squared. The object be subject to aerodynamic drag (a vector force) in the opposite direction of the acceleration. Drag applies as a log law (go twice as fast and you experience 4 times the drag) and so rises exponentially until the object reaches terminal velocity at which point it will be experiencing a drag (force) which will equal their weight (force).

This drag force is aerodynamic drag and includes form drag (high, iFad is a flat non-aerodynamic surface perpendicular to the airflow), skin friction (low on a nice shiny iFad), interference drag (low because it is a simple shape with propriety rounded corners) and induced or vortex drag (high, see form drag).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Terminal velocity, enquiring minds need to know

Before we can calculate the airspeed velocity

Was it the European iPad and was it fully laden?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Flame

No wonder why you posted as AC

Cant even get the joke straight ...

Was it African or European....

2. Simon Harris

Huh?

I don't know that

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Theoretical marketing theory proven at 1 SIGMA :0

So let me get this clear, you can state something about a product you make and sell and then later on after you have sold some, go onto prove what you said. This is why I'll never do well in buisness. Marketing, law I have a grasp on but this theoretical marketing is something I admit is over my head.

What next, pen's and notebooks that don't need cases to survive this test, whatever next.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LIC, Large Idiot Collider

We need to do research into theoretical marketing, I propose we make the marketing department run around in opposing circles and then steer them into each other so we can examine the deb....

Wait, no, so we can all record it and post it to youtube.

6. SkippyBing

100,000 feet != Space

It's only 30.48Km which is well short of the 100Km used by the FAI or the 50NM used by NASA for the award of Astronaut wings (there's about 4 miles difference between the two).

It's bad enough people in marketing have redefined the meaning of 'unlimited' don't let them get away with any more abuses.

1. LaeMing
      Joke

Mixing imperial and metric never did NASA any harm.

Oh wait....!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real test is will it survive baggage handlers?

1. K. Adams
      Mushroom

... or overzealous Blendtec engineers?

Let's see how the case stands up to one of these:

-- -- YouTube: Blendtec Channel: Will it Blend?

-- -- -- -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Space at 100k feet?!

Uhh... I don't think so. A generally accepted standard is the Karman Line, which is a rough approximation of the point below which "significant lateral thrust would be keep a craft flying level" (from 'Where Does Space Begin?' on Slate). That altitude is 100 kilometers. If Google is to be believed, that works out to 328,083.99 feet.

NASA determines whether you're an astronaut (which it seems would apply to iPads as well as badasses) by using the 100km figure above. The USAF, generously, considers you an astronaut if you've gone up a mere 80km - but that's still far above 100,000 feet.

Not only that, the SR71 Blackbird had a *service ceiling* (normal operating range) of 85,000 feet.

And a final thought - a balloon can only support an object if it can 'float' on the air around it. A balloon, by definition, can't leave the atmosphere any more than a rubber duck can float to the top of the tub water and keep on going until it's hovering. Ye cannae change tha laws'a'physics.

So we have problems:

A: At absolute best, the balloon could 'float on the surface of space'. If you want to get really pedantic, that disqualifies any claims immediately - the iPad is hanging below the balloon, ergo it can't be in space. But that's not necessary...

A: By definition you can't stick a balloon in space, as it will pop. Their balloon did not pop. It did not go into space.

B: The atmosphere's border is gradual, not immediate, like the tub water. Something buoyant will float up to a certain point and stay there; it's 'surface' is dependent on its lift. Have any mass at all? You won't get to the top; at some point your lift (unless you're a rocket) is going to go away, and that point will not be space.

C: Remember, even helium has some mass. If you get to the point where the atmosphere is less dense than helium, as it must, the whole kit and kaboodle might as well be a brick. You want to get to space? Helium may be lighter than air, but I'm fairly sure it isn't lighter than nothing.

So, there's no way in hell it's going to come even close to any commonly accepted definition of 'space'. And it didn't - far less than half by the most generous definition, and less than a third by the most common.

I'm not surprised about the case manufacturer - playing fast and loose with the facts is a treasured tradition of marketing - but I'm a bit surprised that El Reg just gave them a free pass. If someone from the US issued a press release saying that they had driven an electric car "coast-to-coast on one charge, all the way to Chicago!", you'd be all over it like a cheap suit. So I'm disappointed that you didn't jump on -this-.

1. Mike Flugennock

re: Space at 100k feet?

"I'm not surprised about the case manufacturer - playing fast and loose with the facts is a treasured tradition of marketing..."

Seriously... it would've been equally impressive -- not to mention truthful -- if they'd simply stated that an iPad in one of their cases survived a drop from 100k feet, perhaps mentioning in that context the operational ceiling of such craft as the SR71 or the X15.

1. SkippyBing

Re the X-15

That did actually go into space and the pilots controlling it when it did earned astronaut wings, apart from the civilian as the FAA don't issue any.

2. Steve Renouf
      WTF?

Terminal Velocity...

...is just that. Once you reach the height at which you (or some object) will be travelling at terminal velocity before you (the object) will hit the ground, it really doesn't matter how much higher you go - you are not going to hit the ground any harder, so it's really just a bit academic whether it was space or not!

3. Phil Bennett
      Headmaster

Umm...

While I agree with you on the main thing (100,000 feet isn't space), I've got to point out that:

A) their balloon did, in fact, pop and

B) depending on friction, having a more defined boundary and surface tension, you could get the duck to "hover" - it'll still have a bit of velocity when acceleration drops to zero, so it'll pop out of the tub and fall back under gravity. Let go of a closed empty plastic bottle at the bottom of a swimming pool and watch it fly!

4. Gary F

If it were in space there would be no air and therefore...

The shreds of balloon wouldn't have flapped around immediately after it burst if it were in space because there would be no air to cause turbulence.

9. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Unbreakable???

Give it to my boss for abuse testing. He is on his third iPad 2 in as many months.

10. Mike Flugennock
    Meh

Fell from space? Eeehhhhh... sorta kinda maybe

100,000 ft = approx 18ish miles, still below the FAI definition of where "space" starts, iirc.

Needless to say, re-entry heating and dynamic stresses were probably minimal, if any -- if you can even call what the encased iPad went through "re-entry".

A more accurate headline would've been "iPad SURVIVES FALL FROM WICKED-ASSED HIGH ALTITUDE".

Now, if an ISS crewman using an iPad for some function while on EVA accidentally let it get away from him and drift out of reach -- like that toolbag during a Shuttle EVA recently -- _that_ iPad would have absolutely FALLEN FROM SPACE, although not surviving as it would've had no high-impact case around it, and would be re-entering at about Mach 25ish.

11. bitten

Nice, but can you kill someone with a random ipad throw?

12. All names Taken
    Happy

Thanks but rather not (if it's all the same and so forth etcetera ... )

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've flown on Concorde

The "edge of Space" is 100,000 feet and has been since since at least 1984. According to BA and the RAF.

I myself don't believe that. Although the Earth *does* look like an orange as seen through my living room window.

1. SkippyBing

Just because the marketeers at BA say 100,000 feet is the edge of space doesn't mean it is, they're an airline not an aviation authority. I also can't find any reference in AP3456* to space starting at 100,000 feet so the RAF don't seem to be saying that either.

*RAF Manual of Flying

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I did say ...

That I didn't believe it. Not then and certainly not now.

14. mraak
    Trollface

Samsung

Oh, I'm sure some Samsung Android fondleslab can do even better. I think I read somewhere it survived 200k feet drop.

15. Silverburn

Pfft

Forget this edge of space crap. A drop of 30cm was all it took on my gen 1 to crack the glass. Then again, anything that survives more than 10mins with a 2 yr old is definitely worth a look.

16. Haku
    Flame

Apple publicity stunts

The next time some marketing hack comes up with the idea of putting an Apple (or any other "must have") product into space, can we send them instead of the object, *without any oxygen tanks*, so we can stop this bloody "first in space" nonsense.

17. Gio Ciampa

Control experiment?

Someone chuck an uncased iPad from the same height - and see if the headline can get any less accurate.

I'll be opening the "how many pieces" sweepstake in the morning

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't have been

anything to do with that big metal bar sticking out that it was attached to, could it?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Our widget survived a 100km drop

Marketing droid: "Our widget survived a drop of one hundred thousand meters!"

Reporter: "Amazing! How did you accomplish that?"

Engineer in background: "We dropped it from one hundred thousand and one meters."

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone

iPhone fell 1000 feet and lived eh?

Mine fell 4 feel in a super market and shattered. That was a 3GS, not the new one that lands "buttered side down" all the time with glass on both sides.

There's generally 2 types of iPhones: Ones in a case, and ones with shattered screens.

Gorilla glass is still glass.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like