back to article Military contractor warns of new Adobe Reader exploit

Attackers are exploiting a vulnerability in the latest versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat applications to hijack computers running Microsoft Windows, Adobe warned on Tuesday. The vulnerability, which corrupts memory involved with the U3D, or Universal 3D, file format, was reported by members of Lockheed Martin's computer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark Zip
    Holmes

[Obligatory] Foxit / Evince mention

Whenever I set up a new machine or tend to a friend's broken one I install Foxit Reader (for Windows or Linux). The "Safe Reading" box is checked by default and this eliminates scripting inside pdfs. (On installation, I take care to uncheck the Ask toolbar box)

Evince for GNOME is another favourite.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Foxit On Linux !

What the hell do you want that on a Nix box for ? It's not even been updated in two years.

You are practicing your stand up routines I take it ?

For KDE users the excellent included Ocular handles PDFs very well. As for Gnome I'll leave it to a masochist to suggest the best current PDF reader for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the question, in fact,

is does /anyone/ still use Adobe Reader?

It has been out of my life for far longer than Windows has. Not even installed on the last two machines.

3. Ru

I've been using Sumatra of late. Foxit was tending towards bloat and insecurity last time I considered it. There are various advantages to using obscure software packages; a modicum of security is not the only one.

2. Wombling_Free
    Mushroom

How the hell could anyone use U3D?

We've been TRYING to use it for it's intended use for about 2 years now and it is utterly totally broken, obfuscated, difficult, plain useless and horrifically buggy....

...oh. I see.

3. Tchou
    Thumb Up

Rarely...

...if ever have i seen so much pached softwares as Adobe ones.

And more are coming.

Wow.

Isn't there some sort of prize for that or something?

4. Zog The Undeniable
    FAIL

Adobe Reader is dire

It's about the size of Windows 98, requires kernel-level reboots to patch or install it and attracts bugs like a bucket of poo. And all it does is show you documents. I'd call it bloatware, but that would be an insult to bloatware.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha

"Attackers are exploiting a vulnerability in the latest versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat applications to hijack computers running Microsoft Windows, Adobe warned on Tuesday."

Ah Windoze. So secure!

6. peter 45

Ooos

The Defence company I work for has launched an e-learning package that is mandated for every employee. This package that requires Adobe 9+ to be put on every person's computer.

Tee Hee

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

The Single Biggest Cyber Security Risk

Adobe Inc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like